Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

12 GA

Walther PPQ mag release WTF

Dad got one from a buddy of his. Mag release is in the. BOttom of the trigger guard. I've got large hands and for sure can't reach it with my thumb or my index finger. Feels comfortable in my hand but don't think it's something I'd buy for myself. See a lot of people praise them. Maybe I don't know how to handle it.

Sounds like a mag release kinda like on the HK USP 45., kinda a long reach to use.
    My opinion is if a company makes their product in the US they usually go out of their way to brag about it. If they say nothing about it and you can't find anything about it after a 20-minute search on their website, chances are it's made by 8-year-olds with hammers and lead paint in some place like Uganda or Mongolia...

That is the European style mag release the PPQ m2 has the button like we are used to. The Euro style is also hard to find a good holster fit for it .

I use my index finger to work the paddle style mag release. with enough practice, It is just as fast as a conventional thumb mag release.
    “Shooting is simple, simple does not mean easy” -TGO

12 GA
    Practice for sure. If I were in a movie type situation and had to change mags I'd be dead lol.

Like ChrisC says or trade it in for the M2 with the button. Both shoot the same.
    I see, I do, I succeed!!!

I have short thumbs so I actually liked the M1 version better. With a little practice it was no issue. I got rid of it because it didn’t use the same mags as my PPQ match 5. It is one of those guns I wish I never parted with...

I have several paddle release Walthers. I have small hands so I use my middle finger to actuate the paddle. It didn't take me very long to get used to it vs the button but YMMV. I like them both about the same. I also have some bottom mag release pistols, those take a bit longer to change mags than either the paddle or the button. As mentioned above you can buy the PPQ with either the paddle release (PPQ M1) or the button release (PPQ M2). I love the grip ergonomics of the PPQ, it fits my hand better than any other pistol I've tried.
    "Ain't nothin scarier than a man with a gun, ain't nothing more helpless than a man without one."
    -Frank Griffin from the miniseries Godless.

I actually prefer paddle releases - it might be my hand size, but they feel much more intuitive and faster to reach than a traditional button style. Been eyeballing HKs for a while, gonna have to take the plunge sooner or later I reckon.