Glock 48 hype? Ok, Ok, I bought into the hype, and got one...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    thought it was mostly hype, the 43x and 48. i have owned and carried a G43 for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. its small, easy to conceal, carries enough ammo. then i started over thinking it. bought some Taran tactical extensions, a +1, and a plus 2. i had only carreid 1 spare mag the whole time i had the 43. i thought about it being good for a close in, ugly fight kinda gun and probably enough to stop a couple/few baddies. next was 2 mags with 2 +3 Taran extensions in a double mag carrier. then thinking back on my experiences in culiforniastan, the riots, the side shows stopping freeway traffic, and groups of thugs strong arming people on rapid transit. i went back to my G19, with a 17 round mag and an Arredondo +6 extension as a reload. i'm 5'10, weigh around 225, and could do it no problem. heck, in my youth i carried a G17 with a TLR-1, and 2 spare mags when i worked in gun shops, still taught and attended classes. day to day, with wife, kids, life, it seemed to much, the G19. i couldn't go back to the G43, i just had an idea of it not being "enough". then the G48. it made sense, shoots like a full(er) size gun, has 10 round mags... nirvana. IMHHO, it is now the best carry gun i have ever owned or shot. yes its not perfect, but i actually love it. first glockinspiel i have ever said that about, and iv'e carried a glock for the better part of 20 years now. time will tell if it remains my EDC but i'm pretty tickled with it right now...

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    i saw a couple videos featuring the 15 rounders. wonder how the plastic mag release will hold up... may have to get one in aluminium from Hyve to go along with some of those mags when they hit!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never been a fan of mag extensions just asking for trouble don't care who makes them. Waiting on Magpul to do a 15 rounder.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    both arredondo and taran tactical have been around for many, many years. both have proven utterly reliable in years of competition use. i used arredondo extensions for competition for a long time and never once had an issue. the taran ones had around a 1,000 rounds through them with no failures either. i prefer to use ONLY factory mags, with the exception of mec-gar, wilson combat and tripp research. all proven manufactures of high quality "after market" mags. i would prefer not to use any extensions, but make exceptions where i need the higher capacity. in my carry gun, i use glock factory mags. when a proven higher capacity mag becomes available for the 48, i will us it.

Max Flatus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why the problem with plastic mag releases G-rat? Glocks have always had them. Kahr had to switch to steel but Glock is sticking with plastic. Just curious, I’ve come to respect Glock after my initial distrust.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    don't have a problem with the plastic ones, other than they don't protrude as far as the Hyve i put in. just a bit more button to push, and more aggressive texture works better for me. not a thing wrong with the factory ones. never had one fail, just like an extendo release.

Max Flatus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks. I have the Hyve extension on my 43, interested in the 48 but not sure if it’s an improvement. Would like to hear more feedback. 48 vs Glock 19.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    somehow the 48 just carries better than a 19, or 26. when i was younger and thinner the width didn't matter so much. i have carried both for a couple of years. the 48 has a bit more recoil than either, but its very subjective. i'm not shy when it comes to recoil, as i own a S&W 360 PD, and a 337 Airlight. the 48 is just slimmer enough that it carries like a verl small gun. it shoots like a bigger one, and allows for a full grip. because the grip is a tad larger then a 43 in length and diameter, its a lot more comfy to hold. the only gripe i have is that sometimes trying to eject an unfired round, you gotta yank on the slide rearward with a fair amount of force. only really an issue when un-loading for a range trip... the 48 is not a perfect gun, but its a darn good carry gun for me. shot about 1,000 rounds now, and i'm still in love with it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Frank carries a 15 shot mag in his 26 when he carries concealed.
    Last time I saw him I just figured he was hideing an umbrella. Like me . . . Frank is just too damn old for anything new. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Frank carries a 15 shot mag in his 26 when he carries concealed.
    Last time I saw him I just figured he was hideing an umbrella. Like me . . . Frank is just too damn old for anything new. --- SAWMAN

with the sleeve allowing a 15 rd mag in the 26 it is very concealable, of course the 33rd backup mag is a little more difficult

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    when i carried a 26 with an x-grip sleeve i gave myself a blood blister big around as a dime on my palm in a class while re-loading. i switched to a glock factory +2 on the 26 mag, but ended up going back to my 19 because grip length was same, and held 3 more pills. don't get me wrong, i love glocks, but just have a very strong opinion on the 48. every other glock i own is just a tool, the 48 i really love... and for the record, i'm about to be 49 but still act like i'm 16ish. fart jokes are funny, beer is delicious, fast cars are the only way to travel, etc... in reality, i'm the only one in my home who thinks farts are funny, a 12 pack of beer lasts about 3 weeks in my fridge, and my 2017 toyota sienna SE is quick, but with kids in it, its generic at best...

Top Bottom