• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Who needs Bill Geissele when you’ve got YouTube?

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    HA!HA!HA! BUT, you need to have money!!! Cleaning and gently burring parts is helpful! Don't you think? It endears my firearms to me. In the past, I slept with them!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I am a trigger snob. All my guns MUST have a good trigger. I have been known to even "adjust" the triggers on shotguns and muzzle loaders. My NEF Handi Rifles have triggers <4lbs. I have $1400. invested in AR triggers alone. (AR Gold,Velocity,Geissele,Elf,etc.)
    To each their own re. triggers,women,and trucks. --- SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    “General, you need to cancel the requisition for those fancy triggers you extensively tested and consequently ordered.”
    “You see Sir, all we have to do is issue the privates a polishing dremel kit and some springs, and show them some youtubes .”
    “Trust me Sir, we can save enough money for that new golf course you wanted. And the trigger will be just as good. The internet said so...”

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    “General, you need to cancel the requisition for those fancy triggers you extensively tested and consequently ordered.”
    “You see Sir, all we have to do is issue the privates a polishing dremel kit and some springs, and show them some youtubes .”
    “Trust me Sir, we can save enough money for that new golf course you wanted. And the trigger will be just as good. The internet said so...”
    LMAO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have done this many times with several brands of AR rifles. Mostly with a 1/4-28 set screw and blue loctite if your lower is tapped all the way through to the trigger area. Now you can by a " trigger set screw" actually a screw within a screw and it works great even if the lower isn't tapped completely through. Understand you have to have a decent trigger to start with. My Sig M400 came with a horrible gritty unpolished trigger, some other brands have much better stock triggers. I got a nickle boron trigger from Midway for $69.00, it came with 2 sets of springs, lightly grease the contact points and use the set screw to take up SOME of the pre-travel, to much and the safety won't rotate. The actual adjustment of the screw is only about a quarter turn, and you have a really good setup. Now, you have to use common sense with any application such as checking travel and hammer/sear engagement, drop test the safety etc.....and yes buying a new trigger is better, BUT you can help out a stock set up without a lot of money invested. Just my $1.00 worth.

Swampy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AR Trigger Adjustment Screw Worth It?

I say no. I tried this very trigger-gimmick and I couldn't honestly tell that it made ANY difference. I even had a gunsmith attempt to adjust it trying to make it better - even tried lighter springs - a waste of money IMO. I don't think it helped on my rifle at all. I wound up getting a drop-in 3.5 #, after-market trigger and loved it. I now have them in 4 ARs. Personally, and this is just my opinion, save up for a decent drop-in trigger. You can often find a decent drop-in on-sale for well under a hundred bucks. Trust me when I tell you, ... it's WAY worth it.

Last edited:

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The set screw is only there to remove some of the pre-travel on the trigger, and in some cases it is excessive. It will never lower the pull weight of any setup. I use it only for that purpose, and along with a decent trigger and springs you can take a 5-7 lb. trigger pull and take it down to 3-3.5 lbs. with very little creep.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sooooooo . . . you are saying that with the set screw and two (trigger and hammer) springs,a milspec trigger will be reduced to between 3.0 and 3.5lbs letoff ?? --- SAWMAN

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All I am saying is this: the set screw reduces the take-up / pre-travel of the trigger. The adjustment is minor but it works, if your trigger has a lot of take up then you will like the change. Changing to reduced power springs (like JD Power 3.0-3.5 lb,) will reduce pull weight of course. SO using this setup on a Mil-spec trigger will work IF the stock trigger is descent to begin with. Like I said my Sig M400 had a horrible stock trigger so I changed it and the springs and used the set screw and I love the setup now. However I have " set-screwed" and changed springs on other brands (Smith & Wesson, Colt, and PSA) that had better Mil-spec triggers to start with and the owners are very happy with the changes and the guns function fine. To each his own, spend whatever you need to get the results you want, or don't. The thread started by asking if anyone had tried this setup or not. Well some have and they didn't get the results they wanted but my experience was positive. Again I wasn't expecting some magical transformation just making what I had to work with a little better, sometimes it made it a lot better.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    GROUP BUY !!
    If people here get together for a group buy,I suspect that jj can turn these screws out for about two bucks each. He would most likely install them and guarantee them also.
    Who wants one ?? --- SAWMAN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    GROUP BUY !!
    If people here get together for a group buy,I suspect that jj can turn these screws out for about two bucks each. He would most likely install them and guarantee them also.
    Who wants one ?? --- SAWMAN

If you get a group buy going , count me in for 5 even if they are a few dollars more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Buy once, cry once.

Geiselle.

Life is too short to have a shitty trigger in your rifle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We all must be politicians! Cause we still kant git-it-together! Although it's better than a movie!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All I am saying is this: the set screw reduces the take-up / pre-travel of the trigger. The adjustment is minor but it works, if your trigger has a lot of take up then you will like the change. Changing to reduced power springs (like JD Power 3.0-3.5 lb,) will reduce pull weight of course. SO using this setup on a Mil-spec trigger will work IF the stock trigger is descent to begin with. Like I said my Sig M400 had a horrible stock trigger so I changed it and the springs and used the set screw and I love the setup now. However I have " set-screwed" and changed springs on other brands (Smith & Wesson, Colt, and PSA) that had better Mil-spec triggers to start with and the owners are very happy with the changes and the guns function fine. To each his own, spend whatever you need to get the results you want, or don't. The thread started by asking if anyone had tried this setup or not. Well some have and they didn't get the results they wanted but my experience was positive. Again I wasn't expecting some magical transformation just making what I had to work with a little better, sometimes it made it a lot better.
    Reducing the power of the hammer spring is alright for a range toy or target gun. If the gun is meant for saving one's life I want mil spec springs in the gun.

Top Bottom