• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a bunch of old US coins. Two of which are half dimes. The dates on these coins are 1840 and 1843.
    Just wondering what these two could be worth. I do not have any coin books. If I were to sell locally is there a shop/dealer that anyone could reccomend ??
    Thank you gentlemen for any and all help in this. Members are welcome to PM me. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20190524_064518.jpg
      20190524_064518.jpg
      533 KB · Views: 307
    • 20190524_064452.jpg
      20190524_064452.jpg
      593.9 KB · Views: 316
    Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It fluctuates greatly by condition. upwards of $20 - 350+. The best prices come with Graded coins by NGC, PCGS or ANACS grading companies. Could fetch $1k+ ?

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Was thinking about trading these for several of Bob's grandkids to do yard work or to Frank for a guided hog hunt. --- SAWMAN

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I remember finding our "DADDY'S"stack in his war chest and my brother and I thought it was our lucky day, IT WAS SILVER COINS HIS GRAMMY-MAW GAVE HIM

THE REST OF THE STORY

We walked down to our local grocery store and bought it all up in candy and "OLD DADDY" whipped both of us all the way back to Sablatura's Food Craft Grocery
    Grocery Store, 105 N Market St, Louise, TX 77455.

The only reason my brother and I got to live another day was because "MAMA" saved our hide for another day:drama:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a bunch of old US coins. Two of which are half dimes. The dates on these coins are 1840 and 1843.
    Just wondering what these two could be worth. I do not have any coin books. If I were to sell locally is there a shop/dealer that anyone could reccomend ??
    Thank you gentlemen for any and all help in this. Members are welcome to PM me. --- SAWMAN

http://cointrackers.com/coins/13893/1840-liberty-seated-dime/

http://cointrackers.com/coins/13899/1843-liberty-seated-dime/

those are in exceptional shape, my coin book is old, from 2009. go to emerald coast coins, off of 9th I think, they can give you a better idea, or buy a 2019 red book of coins.

do not ever clean an old coin, resist the urge, it will drop the value.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Actually jj gave them to me. That was his first "dividend" when he cashed in some of his Coca Cola stock at the bank in Quincy.
    I got Stone Mountain half dollars,"V" nickles,and indian head pennys also. Some mercury dimes and Morgan silver dollars too.--- SAWMAN

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not sure of the value of those two coins....they look like they’ve been cleaned at some point, that reduces their value. The coin store here in town, Emerald Coast Coins (in Milton),my neighbor works their, owned by her Dad, a retired sailor. I’ve sent some co-workers to her and they were happy with dealing with her. I buy some silver from her around the holidays for gifts...good luck. “A Guide Book of United States Coins 2020” is about $10-12 will give you a ballpark value of your coins...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yes they have. I rubbed them with Never Dull.
    They were fairly dark. So I ruined them huh ?? Well lemme ask this. They were most likely this shiny when they came out of the mint,right. Then,over time,they turned dark.
    Soooooo . . . how long will I have to wait for them to turn dark again so that I can sell them ?? Or should I just go ahead and throw them in the trash can ?? --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yes they have. I rubbed them with Never Dull.
    They were fairly dark. So I ruined them huh ?? Well lemme ask this. They were most likely this shiny when they came out of the mint,right. Then,over time,they turned dark.
    Soooooo . . . how long will I have to wait for them to turn dark again so that I can sell them ?? Or should I just go ahead and throw them in the trash can ?? --- SAWMAN

Hey, you should join a coin forum, and tell them what you have done. Some nice person, who knows everything about coins, will set the new guy straight.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Too late . . . I got feeling bad last night and chunked the entire batch of the coins,except the Morgan's in the sheetcan.
    I really do not need any extra money (wife got another raise in pay) and it is one less thing to have to worry about.
    NOW . . . for all that weird foreign money in our safety deposit box. Including MPC's. I will have to try hard to not try to spruce these up. --- SAWMAN

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    SAWMAN, Emerald Coast Coins on Creighton Road in Pensacola is the place I do business with. I recommend him. I have a silver half dime that I took in, and it really wasn't worth selling. Silver and gold both are really bad investments right now, especially silver.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had heard the "LONE RANGE" is casting more bullets with the price of silver down.

Thing about having our "URN'S" plated with all the silver we are holding.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    SAWMAN,
    I have a good background in calculating value on coins. Here's what I came up with on the 2 half dimes.
    1/2dime=5cents+1/2dime=5cents=2X5cents=10 cents total value.
    Id' be a committed buyer at about 8 cents, or let me know if your open to trades.

Top Bottom