• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Euthanasia is a difficult topic for many people because of the implications on what they believe about souls, sanctity of life, non-human vs human animals, etc.

One helpful question to point in the right direction: what is the quality of life for the animal?

Since a domesticated animal can't get a job, free roam with impunity, carry a gun, etc, it is completely dependent on a human for its welfare. This owner was bonded to its dog, and probably the dog was bonded to its owner. Yes, it could physically be adopted out to another family, but what would its quality of life be? Would the new owners pamper it the same? Would they know all of its habits and health issues the same? Daily routine and stability?

My guess is the owner didn't want its four-legged family member to be at the mercy of an animal shelter and some random new home.

If either my wife or I outlive the other, the dogs obviously stay with the survivor. If we both get hit by the same bolt of lightning, we have a couple options of who would take them (we've already had those discussions with those people).

If I outlived everyone else, and my surviving four-legged "kid" would be without a home, I'd want it to be humanely put-down, too, cremated and buried with me. No question.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Could the dogs owner OR any of her friends or kin,find another person or family that would love,and take care of this dog as well as she did ??
    I think this is sad . . . whatever the dog owners best intention was. --- SAWMAN

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Even veterinarians have differing views on euthanasia. The fact remains that they are expected to use their judgement and consider the quality of life of the animal.

This story has a lot of missing information (as even our few comments have pointed out already).

If it was a young healthy dog, and there was surviving family, etc, then euthanasia would be a difficult "sell" to a veterinarian.
    If it was an older dog, bonded with its single owner, and no other familiar people it could transition its last years to live with, so it would be relegated to an animal shelter and maybe a new home of questionable comparison, then euthanasia would be a more humane option.

I would err on the side of trusting the veterinarian before I'd condemn it without all of the facts.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Composting is not a good idea in many cases
    Human bodies contain significant amounts of toxins in them from PCBs to prions. We live a long time, have a lot fat that many toxins accumulate in and we are at the top of the food chain.
    Incinerated in an urn or stuffed in a concrete vault is better overall. This is one reason if we have a complete long-term SHTF you do not want to be a cannibal lol. Societies that practice ritual cannibalism often get neuro-degenerative diseases

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    IF, IF, IF, the Biggest 2-letter word in the dictionary. If I was rich, If I hadn't had done that, If I didn't have kids, If only I did this, If I was ......on and on and on.... The dog was a "Healthy Dog", period. Doesn't matter if the dog was young or old, the FACT is, the dog was Healthy and had no reason to die. Executed for being a Loyal companion, what a reward. I hope that old Battleaxe bitch burns in Hell right along with the Executor of the Will and the Veterinarian that put the dog down for no reason other than some selfish old Biddy had a cold heart.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Animal shelters euthanize healthy animals everyday. Some of them never saw the outside of a cage. Some of them would never see a loving family again. There simply isn't enough room and resources to temporarily house and eventually re-home every animal that finds its way to an animal shelter.

This dog had, presumably, a loving home. There are plenty of other dogs and cats that get euthanized simply because selfish SOBs throw them at the mercy of "Society". Someone else's problem to care for, and re-home, right? Except that there ISN'T another home for each of them. So the selfish SOBs throw that animal to fend for itself in a system with the odds stacked against it.

My opinion: your anger is misplaced. It should be directed at every selfish bastard who contributes to the overpopulation of those animal shelters.

Your animal; your responsibility. She died and made sure her animal would be humanely euthanized. No burden on society. No risk of a "life sentence" in animal prison for her "loyal companion".

To each his own...

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He has a point.^^^^^^^

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    our pets are furry four legged 2 yr children.. no way could, or would I instruct them to be killed if we pass on..

as with my guns, I will seek homes for them before I pass on..

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What would the dog want? Or you, if you were in the dogs place? I think it was a very self centered decision by the woman before she died. That decision sealed the dogs fate regardless if it was highly adoptable or not. The agency holding the dog wanted to re-home the dog but was denied. The dog would have had a chance for a full life. I understand the dogs are property and Pound issue with space/time limits but the dog in question was not up against the pound euthanasia clock. Idiot owner doing the Egyptian take-em with you thing. IMHO

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A general concern that I have is what would happen to my dogs if say I was seriously injured in a hospital or suddenly died. I should outlive my currently owned dogs, but one is never sure. As I get older I have to consider if I will get new dog to replace these as they die.
    I have larger dogs of the guardian type. Maybe when they die I might get some terriers that would be easier for the humane society to handle and not get put down by the police if I was not around.
    This one might need to be darted if I was gone and he was upset about me not being there.
    Picture of little guy, a White English, a very dear animal that is closely bonded to me.
    DSCF1833.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1833.jpg
      DSCF1833.jpg
      571.9 KB · Views: 84

762x54

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    "Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Mark Twain

Top Bottom