Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

New Federal Shorty Shotshells

Federal now makes minishells like the Aguilas. I recently bought some and tried them back to back with the Aguilas to see how they compete.

Name:  Aguila vs Federal.jpeg.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  155.9 KB

The Federals are a bit taller but with lower brass.

Name:  Federal vs Aguila.jpeg.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  129.6 KB

However, the Federals definitely have more punch than the Aguilas. The Federal impact hole is on the bottom, the Aguila impact hole is on the top. Recoil in a Mossberg Shockwave was noticeably stronger than the Aguilas.

Name:  image1 (1).jpg
Views: 94
Size:  319.5 KB

I think I'll let my wife use the Aguilas in her shockwave and I'll use the Federals in my KSG. Federals were slightly cheaper too. Snakes beware!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

2. 3 Like Sporter's Post:

Wondering if the Federals will work with the OpSol adaptor installed or if the little bit of extra OAL will allow them to feed in my Shockwave without.
    Could you please measure the Fed and let us know the OAL. Looks to be about a 1/4" longer.
    For me . . . the Aguila's work perfectly and are of the appropriate power and load density in bird or buck. (Especially for woods AND household snakes.) If I feel the need to step up,there are somewhat reduced power bird and even buck I could use.
    Thank you sir for your post. ---- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)
    XM177E2

4. 2 Like SAWMAN's Post:

Federals Mini's additional length might allow it to cycle in Rem 870 actions like the TAC-14. Might not be just a length issue, shell center of balance with low brass may also help keep the shell level while in transition from tube mag to chamber. Somebody will review that potential application sooner or later.
    Wild Rider

Those that give up their guns are on a self destructive fools errand. Tyranny shall never take what it didn't provide: not by paper, not by Court and not by force.

How many and what cost of that box of Feds ?? ---- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)
    XM177E2

I'm still looking for my caliper. Here's a link to the Federals, $4.99 for 10.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...-p-109113.aspx

$6.99 for #4 Buck
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...-p-109112.aspx

$6.99 for rifled slug.
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...-p-109104.aspx
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

8. Likes Sporter's Post:

Aguila birdshot is 1.36" in length. Federal birdshot is 1.51" in length. I don't have any real scales but the Federal definitely feels a tad heavier.

10. Likes Sporter's Post:

Completely forgot about the new Challenger minishells I bought last Christmas. They are 1.45" in length, are right between the Aguilas and the Federals in power and are currently slightly cheaper than the rest.

Aguila, Challenger, Federal

Name:  minishells.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  104.1 KB

The holes in this heavy wooden exterior door are left to right: Aguila, Challenger and Federal. Shot in succession from the same gun, same distance, same stance.

Name:  Aguilla Challenger Federal.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  218.7 KB

The Aguilas are made in Mexico and are just over 5/8's of an ounce (18grams).

The Challengers are made in Canada and are 5/8's of an ounce.

The Federals are made in the USA and are 15/16's of an ounce.

My primary use for these are to turn poisonous snakes into good snakes from a safe distance. I have 150 acres with a creek and spring fed 20 acre swamp in the middle. Lots of fish, frogs and rats for the snakes to eat. State of Florida says you can have up to 280 moccasins per acre in such an environment. I believe it as I usually kill one a day when I'm up there. I've also killed rattlesnakes and copperheads.

12. Likes Sporter's Post: