• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rock Salt outta a shotgun used to be an acceptable solution.

Won't kill the bear, but it'll remember not to go around that human again...
    or it'll try to kill you. So make sure the next few rounds are 00-Buck ;)
    would get you into trouble if the FWC knew about and could prove it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Also - - -> Please remember that a "large number" of bear have been chipped. Satellites can track these chips to within a couple meters.
    The track includes: time stamp,location,direction of travel,speed,how long stopped with no movement, some of the bears internals,heart rate,body temp,possibly others.
    I would also think that there are alarms built into these programs. Possibly: how long stationary, sudden change of direction,undetectable heart rate,etc,etc.
    Good luck with the harassment of black bear. ESPECIALLY on your own property,on your hunting club,or in your "normal" hunting area in management.
    NOW . . . in Eglin the low'ish tech FWC most likely have the support of the high tech federal wardens . . AND . . most likely . . the military.
    Remember this Frank ??
    Rots-o-ruck ---- SAWMAN

Attachments

• securedownload.jpeg
      securedownload.jpeg
      62.6 KB · Views: 140
    Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Also - - -> Please remember that a "large number" of bear have been chipped. Satellites can track these chips to within a couple meters.
    The track includes: time stamp,location,direction of travel,speed,how long stopped with no movement, some of the bears internals,heart rate,body temp,possibly others.
    I would also think that there are alarms built into these programs. Possibly: how long stationary, sudden change of direction,undetectable heart rate,etc,etc.
    Good luck with the harassment of black bear. ESPECIALLY on your own property,on your hunting club,or in your "normal" hunting area in management.
    NOW . . . in Eglin the low'ish tech FWC most likely have the support of the high tech federal wardens . . AND . . most likely . . the military.
    Remember this Frank ??
    Rots-o-ruck ---- SAWMAN

Most of the new tech has audio capability, too, so the satellite data will prove whether you tried to scare off an aggressive bear or just shot it without provocation.

And if you believe any of that ---^ , I have some oceanfront property in Oklahoma to sell you.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seriously , how are you supposed to deal with bears invading your property? Is there any set protocol, or is it decided on a case to case basis at a later date in a office in Tallahassee. A bear about to kill my pets would make me fear for my life as well . I would think at some point a person would have to decide between being mauled by a bear or raped by the fwc. Neither of which would be a pleasurable experience.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Honestly, simple behaviors should greatly reduce your chances of having a close-call with a local black bear (they aren't usually aggressive):
    When you're outside, you're in what they possibly consider they're territory (bears can't read property deeds). So, make noise before you walk around a blind corner to avoid surprising one. Don't put your trash out the night before; do it the morning of. Be aware that bird-feeders are really "bear-feeders", so be alert where you put them. Clean your BBQ grill. If you see a bear, don't approach it; just be respectful, speak loudly and calmly look for the nearest exit.

All that aside, if a bear is acting aggressive or too curious, get away. If you can't, then defend yourself. If a bear (or ANY creature) is attacking my dogs, then it's a threat to me. Period. I will act accordingly.

If you are able to retreat, then do so. Call the FWC to report it. For us in the FL panhandle, call 850-265-3676.

Here's the website info:
    https://public.myfwc.com/FWRI/BlackBear/Mobile.aspx

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Seriously , how are you supposed to deal with bears invading your property? Is there any set protocol, or is it decided on a case to case basis at a later date in a office in Tallahassee. A bear about to kill my pets would make me fear for my life as well . I would think at some point a person would have to decide between being mauled by a bear or raped by the fwc. Neither of which would be a pleasurable experience.

between me and my neighbors, if a bear is aggressive around here, he will quit breathing, and one of us will have a new rug for the lr…..

tell no one, take care of business...same goes for gators..

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

The fwc will tell you to remove anything that will attract bears and I think to make noise. IIRC self defense is a possible course of action but the FWC does not like it as an option.
    This is sort of what they will tell you.
    In Florida, black bears are protected by law. It is illegal to kill a bear without an FWC issued hunting or depredation permit, unless it is protect human life. A viable alternative to shooting a bear perceived as a threat is through the use of bear spray.
    cartoon-pepper-spray.jpg

Attachments

• cartoon-pepper-spray.jpg
      cartoon-pepper-spray.jpg
      14.9 KB · Views: 145

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Watching that, I was rooting for the bear. Holy crap her voice is annoying, her attitude is pathetic, and her whining is unbelievable.

If her kayak is her lifeline to food and the outside world, then carry a gun and use it to defend the kayak. If not, then shut up and remember that you are in bear country.

I feel ripped-off that the video ended before the bear realized the idiot actually walked closer to watch the kayak play fest...

tritonboy2001

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    bear mar2017.pptx.png

Caught this big bear on one of my game cams in my back yard..Mar 2017

Attachments

• bear mar2017.pptx.png
      bear mar2017.pptx.png
      78.9 KB · Views: 117

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Know whatcha mean...spotted a cougar a couple years ago in the Wakulla area, crossing the highway like a tiger, not giving a dang who or what saw him. Called it in and got a lukewarm response with the reply that they weren't aware of any cougars in that area...of course, Local Residents said they'd heard the yowls of a cougar for decades, and some had seen one prowling that same area. Told 'em what Fish & Wildlife said and they all laughed, knowing full well they'd reported cougar sightings to them as well.

It's kinda funny that they'll put out ads asking for sighting information, but when it comes up positive outside the South Florida area, they dismiss 'em. Makes me wonder just what are the folks in charge of Fish & Game up to.

Guess they gotta have actual Scat or Pics...or a dead cougar...nothing else matters.

What I saw was scat and tracks in the sand. No kidding, you can Google cougar scat images, it's a thing, and if that isn't what I saw, there's something else out there dropping the same thing. Din't bother to tell anyone but friends/family. Doesn't bother me a bit that they are there. Sorta nice to know there is something left of the true wild.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Honestly, simple behaviors should greatly reduce your chances of having a close-call with a local black bear (they aren't usually aggressive):
    When you're outside, you're in what they possibly consider they're territory (bears can't read property deeds). So, make noise before you walk around a blind corner to avoid surprising one. Don't put your trash out the night before; do it the morning of. Be aware that bird-feeders are really "bear-feeders", so be alert where you put them. Clean your BBQ grill. If you see a bear, don't approach it; just be respectful, speak loudly and calmly look for the nearest exit.

All that aside, if a bear is acting aggressive or too curious, get away. If you can't, then defend yourself. If a bear (or ANY creature) is attacking my dogs, then it's a threat to me. Period. I will act accordingly.

If you are able to retreat, then do so. Call the FWC to report it. For us in the FL panhandle, call 850-265-3676.

Here's the website info:
    https://public.myfwc.com/FWRI/BlackBear/Mobile.aspx

I know what you mean by respectful of a large critter with teeth and claws, but it also gave me a good laugh.

"Hello, Mr. Bear. How are you today, Fine, I'm fine, thank you. Enjoy your walk then."

Much better than, "Hey, hey Boo-Boo! Looks like you're dragging off my pic-a-nic basket!!"

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's the beauty of rock salt...it melts away in the blood.
    And it's totally non-lethal!!!
    Stings like a mofo for a few days tho ;)

Used to be the go-to method for reminding young men
    not to mess around with a certain farmer's daughters :D
    Well...at least, to not get caught within range of that farmer!!

Some gals are worth a dose of rock salt, tho...

Attachments

• 551278_165115813683810_2139940697_n.jpg
      551278_165115813683810_2139940697_n.jpg
      69.1 KB · Views: 128
    Last edited:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Learned pretty quick hunting in Florida you need to raise the feeders higher and stake and tie the legs with T-Posts! As you can see these two are both tagged!

Attachments

• Bears_0764 - Resized.jpg
      Bears_0764 - Resized.jpg
      167.8 KB · Views: 107
    • Bears_0730 - Resized.jpg
      Bears_0730 - Resized.jpg
      190.1 KB · Views: 108

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    That's the beauty of rock salt...it melts away in the blood.
    And it's totally non-lethal!!!
    Stings like a mofo for a few days tho ;)

Used to be the go-to method for reminding young men
    not to mess around with a certain farmer's daughters :D
    Well...at least, to not get caught within range of that farmer!!

Some gals are worth a dose of rock salt, tho...

red heads are dangerous

Latest posts

Top Bottom