• FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell, Covell road is in the middle of Crestview. I figured it would have been around the outskirts of town. Damn, ain't safe any place nowadays. Glad to hear about the loud noises, I'll keep a stripper clip handy for one of my 8mm.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    BOO-HOO !! Same parents that don't care enough about school shootings to do something about it,don't care enough about bear attacks to do something about it either.
    OH WAIT !! Until it is their kid mauled by a cute,cuddly black bear,in their back yard,in the middle of the day. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bears are a protected class and know what they can get away with.

They are loosing their fear of humans and what is worse human habitations. In fact they seek out humans residences as a source of food. Now what could go wrong with that.
    The step these two bears have made is now they do not run away from yard dogs in contrast to what bears usually do. They did not crash through storm door to get into the house, but that is likely to be the next thing.
    I think that long barreled shotgun that point well for instinctive shooting loaded with triple 000 would be a combination to use on bear at close range. My three dogs are always barking at something down in the nearby creek wetlands adjacent to my fence. I do have a fruit orchard and so someday bears or even hogs may pay me a visit. The bears are not on the endangered list. Legally this is what found on wiki
    While the Florida black bear was removed from the state list of threatened species, the Bear Conservation Rule (68A-4.009) was adopted at the same time, providing continued protections to the species.
    This is link for it. https://www.flrules.org/Gateway/View_notice.asp?id=16225013
    68A-4.009 Florida Black Bear Conservation.
    (1) No person shall take, possess, injure, shoot, collect, or sell black bears or their parts or to attempt to engage in such conduct except as authorized by Commission rule or by permit from the Commission.
    (2) The Commission will issue permits authorizing intentional take of bears when it determines such authorization furthers scientific or conservation purposes which will benefit the survival potential of the species or to reduce property damage caused by bears. For purposes of this rule, activities that are eligible for a permit include:
    (a) Collection of scientific data needed for conservation or management of the species;
    (b) Taking bears that are causing property damage when no non-lethal options can provide practical resolution to the damage, and the Commission is unable to capture the bear.
    (3) The Commission authorizes members of the public to take a bear in an attempt to scare a bear away from people using methods considered non-lethal. Staff shall authorize specific methods and situations that qualify for this authorization at http://MyFWC.com/bear/.
    (4) The Commission will provide technical assistance to land owners and comments to permitting agencies in order to minimize and avoid potential negative human-bear interactions or impacts of land modifications on the conservation and management of black bears. The Commission will base its comments and recommendations on the goals and objectives of the approved Florida Black Bear Management Plan. The plan can be obtained at http://MyFWC.com/bear/.
    Rulemaking Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV., Sec. 9, Fla. Const., 379.1025 FS. History–New 8-23-12, Amended 7-29-15.
    They do not list the penalty for killing a bear. This is a rule made by the FWC and not a law directly from the florida house and senate. I believe they can fine you and put you in jail if they get it in front of judge. But I could not find the specific guidelines for it.
    video of dog running off bears, but we see that this is changing.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Many years ago, one of our dogs sat at the back door to let us know he needed to go outside. As they are trained.
    At the time, we would let them out, and either keep an eye on the backdoor (if it had a glass panel) or wait for them to scratch the door: either way we'd know they were ready to come back in.

We didn't know better.

This particular day, we let him out and shut the door (no glass panel). Some guardian angel told me to immediately open the door and look outside. Sure enough, he was right there, flopping around in the middle of a severe seizure. We kept him safe from objects/etc while he thrashed, but when he stopped, he wasn't breathing and no pulse. Dogs (especially a Boxer) can sometimes have a heart condition where it spontaneously just bursts somewhere. No warning. Can't be fixed.

But we didn't want to give up, so we tried canine CPR (wife was a vet tech). Sure enough, it worked. His heart wasn't bad; he just had a seizure that stopped it. We got him back for a few more years.

Lesson to the long story: after that, we NEVER let them outside by themselves. One of us always goes with. Heck, it's a good excuse to un-ass your chair and get some fresh air and sunlight.

Over the years, we've been rewarded with multiple hilarious experiences, and more relevant to this thread, we've prevented many altercations with wildlife. Snakes, possums, raccoons, fox, coyotes, scorpions, one horribly placed spiderweb with a Black Widow, and one occasion here in Florida where we saw them alert, start barking, and saw at the treeline what they were focused on and watched them chase off a large black bear. (It was on the other side of the "chain link", but could've easily hopped into the yard if it wanted.)

I carry in my yard, for two-legged and four-legged intruders. Since the Laws of Physics will get applied well before any Laws of Man will ever have a chance, I intend for me and mine to survive to have that conversation.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many years ago, one of our dogs sat at the back door to let us know he needed to go outside. As they are trained.
    At the time, we would let them out, and either keep an eye on the backdoor (if it had a glass panel) or wait for them to scratch the door: either way we'd know they were ready to come back in.

We didn't know better.

This particular day, we let him out and shut the door (no glass panel). Some guardian angel told me to immediately open the door and look outside. Sure enough, he was right there, flopping around in the middle of a severe seizure. We kept him safe from objects/etc while he thrashed, but when he stopped, he wasn't breathing and no pulse. Dogs (especially a Boxer) can sometimes have a heart condition where it spontaneously just bursts somewhere. No warning. Can't be fixed.

But we didn't want to give up, so we tried canine CPR (wife was a vet tech). Sure enough, it worked. His heart wasn't bad; he just had a seizure that stopped it. We got him back for a few more years.

Lesson to the long story: after that, we NEVER let them outside by themselves. One of us always goes with. Heck, it's a good excuse to un-ass your chair and get some fresh air and sunlight.

Over the years, we've been rewarded with multiple hilarious experiences, and more relevant to this thread, we've prevented many altercations with wildlife. Snakes, possums, raccoons, fox, coyotes, scorpions, one horribly placed spiderweb with a Black Widow, and one occasion here in Florida where we saw them alert, start barking, and saw at the treeline what they were focused on and watched them chase off a large black bear. (It was on the other side of the "chain link", but could've easily hopped into the yard if it wanted.)

I carry in my yard, for two-legged and four-legged intruders. Since the Laws of Physics will get applied well before any Laws of Man will ever have a chance, I intend for me and mine to survive to have that conversation.
    An MD surgeon friend of the family years ago resuscitated her family's dog. Probably something I should learn how to do for my dogs if they go into shock from yellow jackets or a moccasin bite. I carry everywhere that it is legal to do so, including now. I use a bandolier holster that goes over the shoulder around the house and when out on the place.
    Not fast, but the gun is always there. when chopping I have hit my elbows on the gun which is a downside to that form of carry. I have more rugged holster than the one pictured below and carry a 9mm with a very heavy trigger that makes safer gun to always have around. I have killed water moccasins with it.
    4102BWzeAmFL bandoleir holster.jpg

Attachments

• 4102BWzeAmFL bandoleir holster.jpg
      4102BWzeAmFL bandoleir holster.jpg
      21.9 KB · Views: 442

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In extremely rural Maine,we had bear come on our extended back porch on multiple ocassions. We had 4 or 5 big Rubbermaid trash cans . . . just disappear.
    My Marlin 1895 45-70 stayed by the back door with a full mag tube. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In extremely rural Maine,we had bear come on our extended back porch on multiple ocassions. We had 4 or 5 big Rubbermaid trash cans . . . just disappear.
    My Marlin 1895 45-70 stayed by the back door with a full mag tube. --- SAWMAN
    Like do not let a good bear go wrong is what the FWC would say and that it was your fault because you tempted the bear.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ONLY way to take care of a bear problem is to: #1. Kill 'em. OR #2. Run 'em with dogs (the right way). --- SAWMAN

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bears are gonna bear. Anyone that does anything, willingly or not, that provides an easy meal will likely see them again, and again. Human scent is all over the treats people provide, so now that scent is associated with the reward, and filed away as OK; not a threat.

I've seen cougar sign out on Eglin, and one was spotted near Duke Field a few years back (within about 10 miles of where I saw sign), but "authorities" maintain this is not so. Probably just a weather balloon.....

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bears are gonna bear. Anyone that does anything, willingly or not, that provides an easy meal will likely see them again, and again. Human scent is all over the treats people provide, so now that scent is associated with the reward, and filed away as OK; not a threat.

I've seen cougar sign out on Eglin, and one was spotted near Duke Field a few years back (within about 10 miles of where I saw sign), but "authorities" maintain this is not so. Probably just a weather balloon.....

Know whatcha mean...spotted a cougar a couple years ago in the Wakulla area, crossing the highway like a tiger, not giving a dang who or what saw him. Called it in and got a lukewarm response with the reply that they weren't aware of any cougars in that area...of course, Local Residents said they'd heard the yowls of a cougar for decades, and some had seen one prowling that same area. Told 'em what Fish & Wildlife said and they all laughed, knowing full well they'd reported cougar sightings to them as well.

It's kinda funny that they'll put out ads asking for sighting information, but when it comes up positive outside the South Florida area, they dismiss 'em. Makes me wonder just what are the folks in charge of Fish & Game up to.

Guess they gotta have actual Scat or Pics...or a dead cougar...nothing else matters.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes sir, they have to have dead body’s or they don’t or won’t believe the report. Even then they sometimes claim it’s a cougar that someone released to the wild. It seems that fwc is being run by folks with a liberals mind set.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I spoke to a former employee of Air Products and years ago he said that both bears and a single lion were often seen on the property near the plant. I have talk to two people that years ago saw lions on the escambia river wetlands. One of them had some sort of cabin and they regularly saw the same lion. I accept that the lions are out there in our general area. They have always been said to be on eglin airforce base property. I am not sure how they are faring with the increased coyote populations that also eat deer and other mammals. I would guess they might eat coyotes when possible. My guess is that the FWC has decided they do not want to know about them since that means they would have to deal with that issue. They might be considered legally florida panthers which biologically they are not, likely being more closely related to what is in Georgia and Alabama.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yes sir, they have to have dead body’s or they don’t or won’t believe the report. Even then they sometimes claim it’s a cougar that someone released to the wild. It seems that fwc is being run by folks with a liberals mind set.

Sounds more like a conservative mindset - not wanting to place additional territory in a protected status. Less regulation.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Originally Posted by FLT View Post

Sounds more like a conservative mindset - not wanting to place additional territory in a protected status. Less regulation.
    It is more CYA. The environmental agencies like the FDEP and now the FWC do not want to be proactive. They often just rather not know about it and then have to deal with new issues. If they do not know, they do not have devote resources to it to make policy. your are talking about hours of meetings and dealing with the public and other agencies like the EPA and Federal wildlife people. My educated guess is it has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal. They just do not really want to deal with it.

After all what is in it for them. The directors simply want to collect their paychecks and avoid extra work and for sure avoid any controversy. They looking forward to the retirement is which is a perk of a government job.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rock Salt outta a shotgun used to be an acceptable solution.

Won't kill the bear, but it'll remember not to go around that human again...
    or it'll try to kill you. So make sure the next few rounds are 00-Buck ;)

Top Bottom