• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've looked myself blind, with no luck as of yet. Numrich gun parts shows it in the parts breakdown correctly, but when you look at the picture of the actual part it looks backwards. Like it's meant to be install on the left side versus the right side.

Parts breakdown showing it correctly:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/hawes/large-frame-haw

Picture of part showing it the opppsite way:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/79360E

So anyone have any ideals where to find a Ejector Tube for a JP Sauer & Sohn Western Marshall in 44 Magnum. It's not an expensive gun, but it was my dad's and I want to put it back as it was.

The lip of the ejector tube that fits into a recess is partially broken off. The part is made of pot metal or something as it doesn't hold bluing and has a rough finish. This gun will shake itself apart when firing, infact after every range trip with it I have to tighten the screws.

Here's a picture of the old girl, my dad bought it new when we were stationed at Mountain Home AFB, Idaho from 75-77.

20190517_224255.jpg

Attachments

• 20190517_224255.jpg
      20190517_224255.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 301
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    It isn't backwards - it is correct. But, it is a used part, so it probably isn't much better than the one you have. Take your ejector rod housing off, and compare it to the image of the schematic, and the actual part Numrich has.

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It isn't backwards - it is correct. But, it is a used part, so it probably isn't much better than the one you have. Take your ejector rod housing off, and compare it to the image of the schematic, and the actual part Numrich has.

Top one from Numrichs site, bottom one from of my revolver. Notice the difference.

79360.jpg

20190518_091906.jpg

Attachments

• 79360.jpg
      79360.jpg
      12 KB · Views: 267
    • 20190518_091906.jpg
      20190518_091906.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 271
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    That is odd - the ejector rod head would end up in a very different position. I wonder if somehow the image is reversed in the advertisement? I wouldn't buy it either.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    rotated & flipped image

Here is the Numrich image, rotated and flipped - now it looks like yours.

Attachments

• 79360.jpg
      79360.jpg
      13.3 KB · Views: 207

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If it were me, I'd send those pictures to Numrich customer service contact and ask. You don't seem to have a quick deadline for the repair. An email is much less hassle than a return.

I'd bet the image just got reversed. They look like almost identical mirror images.

As for shooting itself apart, I'd recommend blue loctite.

Good luck with the refurb.

Edit to add: see? Joel got his computer to render a perfect visual aid. (I think it's probably the correct part...)

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have an email into Numrichs to check, we thought same thing possibly reversed image. But rather be safe than deal with the hassle of returning parts.

Thanks for all the help and input guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Neat gun with a neat story... I love those "reproduction" imports from the 50s. So many of them were used in Tv westerns in the day. Any clue how many rounds you have fired in her???

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Neat gun with a neat story... I love those "reproduction" imports from the 50s. So many of them were used in Tv westerns in the day. Any clue how many rounds you have fired in her???

She has had less than 400 rounds put through it since my dad bought it new in 75. My dad bought it as a side arm for hunting and used it to dispatch a few kill over the years.

Since I inherited it, just prior to his passing, I've put a few rounds through her. She kicks like mule and after about 12 rounds your knuckle is bruised from the trigger guard.

I use it as an attention getter, when teaching people, who have never shot a gun before. After they put 6 rounds through it, they have a healthy respect for a firearm and are typically less cocky. Then I move on to something tamer to teach them on.

So almost 45 years old and less than 400 rounds through it, not worn out yet that is for sure.

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While I'm at it, I'm not going to refinish the gun itself. BUT that said the ejector tube is made of pot metal, and it doesn't take long for it to look like heck.

So what are some tricks or ideas to deal with this? I thought maybe spraying the tube with appliance paint. It would give it a black shiny appearance, which would look better than the white/gray scaly look it takes on.

So shoot me some ideals here people.........

Thanks in advance.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Messed with this a little, damn to little, to offer advice to someones collector gun.. But we had some replica made in Japan guns from the 60s that had lost their finish and looked like crap..

Two ways of "bluing" we used.

One was to take the parts clean them real good, remove any grease or oil, Dry them, then heat them till the part turns color then immerse the part in an oil bath. This will give the part a nice dark color

Another way is to heat up the part and then cold blue it while the metal is warm.

You may want to get some old broken replica guns and play with them. You can get some of those broken MGC guns off e-bay pretty cheap, break them down and play with them.

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Messed with this a little, damn to little, to offer advice to someones collector gun.. But we had some replica made in Japan guns from the 60s that had lost their finish and looked like crap..

Two ways of "bluing" we used.

One was to take the parts clean them real good, remove any grease or oil, Dry them, then heat them till the part turns color then immerse the part in an oil bath. This will give the part a nice dark color

Another way is to heat up the part and then cold blue it while the metal is warm.

You may want to get some old broken replica guns and play with them. You can get some of those broken MGC guns off e-bay pretty cheap, break them down and play with them.

Not really a collectors gun per se, they usually command around $300.00 plus or minus depending on condition. I see tons of the 22 version for sale, but not many of the 44 magnums or 357s.

I figured I would try some finishes on the broken ejector tube and see what works best. Then decide before I screw with the replacement part. Just don't understand why they used pot metal on this part.

I've yet to refinish any of the 40 plus guns I've own, leaving them as they came or as they look following military service. This will be the first time I've refinished a part, and I'm doing it due to the poor finish on the original part, just looks really bad as it is.

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not really a collectors gun per se,

There are collectors guns and then there are collectors guns, just because the value of a gun is not great does not mean it it is not a collectable. Personally a gun that has been ones fathers gun and has been in the family for years is pretty gosh darn special.. and can not be replaced ...

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are collectors guns and then there are collectors guns, just because the value of a gun is not great does not mean it it is not a collectable. Personally a gun that has been ones fathers gun and has been in the family for years is pretty gosh darn special.. and can not be replaced ...

True, like my great grandfather's old shotgun, it has been handed down and is now on it's 5th generation of ownership with my oldest son.

When I got it, i was told it isn't pretty, but then again tools are meant to be, besides she'll knock any bird you shoot at out of the sky. My GGF used it to put meat on the table.

I own two other of my dad's guns 1975 Remington 1100, and 1973 Marlin Original-Golden 39M. Along with this one the 197? JP Sauer & Sohn Western Marshall.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That "Hawes" was nagging at my memory, and I figured out why. About a year ago, RidgeRunner got a bum deal from a former GCGF member. It was a Hawes, too, but in .357...

Here's RidgeRunner's thread about it:

https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/s...of-Berry-david&p=417132&viewfull=1#post417132

And here's the original sale thread so you can see a picture.
    https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?47275&p=415870#post415870

Maybe he still has it and it might be worth it for you to scavenge for parts or to practice refinishing? I have no idea.
    Just a thought. Like a mental version of that card game "Memory", I just knew I'd seen a match somewhere around here...

Good luck. I look forward to finding out how it goes.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You got me going on this and I wanted to find out how well I disremembered but did some looking on the you tube channel and found this rather nice if not hard to understand little video on heat bluing..

Now unfortunately for you this is "real" metal so you may not get the same results..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyxcNdSA2s

I am intrigued with what you decide to do.. realized that someone suggested painting it, so now you have 3 options... Do not know what I would do.. guess if the blueings do not work out good you can always paint???

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once I get the replacement part I'll cut the old one in two. So I can do a test and see how it reacts to heat. I've got a nagging feeling it's going to turn into a lump, if I bake on some finishes.

thumb.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
      thumb.jpg
      5.6 KB · Views: 199
    Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once I get the replacement part I'll cut the old one in two. So I can do a test and see how it reacts to heat. I've got a nagging feeling it's going to turn into a lump, if I bake on some finishes.

Don't heat it that hot :smile: You know as you do this some pictures would be nice.... :smile:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update:

Went to call Numrich first thing that Monday morning and found the item had sold. Dang, just my luck. Last night I just went to Gunbroker and typed in Hawes Ejector Tube and I find one for $10.00 cheaper and looks to still be all black. So I hit the BIN instead of waiting to see if anyone would bid on it.

The 44 will look good again by next week.

thumb.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
      thumb.jpg
      5.6 KB · Views: 187
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom