• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Regarding PRPC, Sawman and I asked how late we could be out shooting for testing and sighting in NV/thermal and were told 9pm. It was somewhat eye-opening, trying Sawmans' green laser light...I could not see it via my scope...not enough light gathering ability and/or it may have been my poorer vision. I was able to eliminate that from night hunting consideration for me.

Have since made a day time target for sighting in thermal in bright sunlight that works perfectly. Black poster board with small square of aluminum tape in the middle. Set facing the sun, the black is heated up and the aluminum reflects the sun, keeping it cooler. Set thermal to black hot vs white hot, and you have a small white square in the middle of black to zero on. Won't work on a cloudy day. No need for hand warmers to shoot at or a torch to heat up metal or frozen water containers to shoot at. To repair the center, just put another piece of aluminum tape over the old piece.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Regarding PRPC, Sawman and I asked how late we could be out shooting for testing and sighting in NV/thermal and were told 9pm. It was somewhat eye-opening, trying Sawmans' green laser light...I could not see it via my scope...not enough light gathering ability and/or it may have been my poorer vision. I was able to eliminate that from night hunting consideration for me.

Have since made a day time target for sighting in thermal in bright sunlight that works perfectly. Black poster board with small square of aluminum tape in the middle. Set facing the sun, the black is heated up and the aluminum reflects the sun, keeping it cooler. Set thermal to black hot vs white hot, and you have a small white square in the middle of black to zero on. Won't work on a cloudy day. No need for hand warmers to shoot at or a torch to heat up metal or frozen water containers to shoot at. To repair the center, just put another piece of aluminum tape over the old piece.
    I can not promise anything about the time, but no does not always mean no.
    Not being able to train at night is a problem for self defense training. A lot cops will train a night in their facilities because it is important. Many guns fights take place after sundown. Some people claim to use their own muzzle flash to help. With air soft there is no muzzle flash, but you still can get a feel for night fighting.
    There are techniques with using monocular NV on the left eye and an RMR red dot on a pistol that is aimed with right eye for night combat. There is a lot to learn and practice in this world.
    In the winter time it is dark after 6 pm when NV/thermal can be used at the PRPC. ERGC closes at 5 pm due to an agreement with the county.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have to agree with Daezee on equipment. I like to spot with thermal, shoot with N/V, and drive with PVS-14. Kinda of hard to do it that way on a budget or limited use basis. If I had to have just one it would be a thermal. You have to use it with the window down, it can't see through glass like N/V. I like the newer devices with the rechargeable battery packs. For me the difference between 320 and 640 is: With the 320...there is something hot on the other side of the pivot (1000 yds) and they are moving...I will need to get closer to ID what it is. With a 640 you can say look at those hogs on the other side of the pivot...just a much sharper image. When I made this comparison it was with Armasight Zeus and this was prior to FLIR's Acquisition.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Just got back from "guarding" a peanut field. At about 10:10pm I spotted a heat signature entering the NE corner of the peanut field (251 yds away; out of range of my 300 Blackout) within seconds hogs began pouring into the field. There were 18 of them of various sizes, but mostly 3 big ones with small ones and small shoats. All were following one of the big ones. Breeze was blowing from me to them, so it was wrong for stalking closer. They then began coming towards me so I shifted my towel rest from one window to the other, then back to the first window then back to the second window as their movements were erratic. I'd been following what I felt was the lead sow when all stopped about 50yd away and got bunched up together, so I lost track of the leader. I picked out one of the 3 big ones, aimed for the head, and mentally prepared myself to shoot quickly at others in the bunch. When all was said and done, there was only one big one down, and he had 3 holes in him. I'd hoped for a sow, but it was a young, but big boar. The others took off. I found no blood where they exited the field. The farmer and property owner will be happy.

He had a dark ridge down his back like I've seen on a few others in the area he was killed. You can see the dark ridge in the photo and a tuff of longer dark hair at the back above the shoulders. I think he'd been a real big one, had he matured. His cutters and gonads were small like a young boar.

DSCN3692.JPG DSCN3693.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3692.JPG
      DSCN3692.JPG
      66.4 KB · Views: 362
    • DSCN3693.JPG
      DSCN3693.JPG
      64.7 KB · Views: 309

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Very nice kill! What can are you using on that blackout? I'm pretty set on buying the dead air sandman S unless you can give me a better option that's quieter, cheaper, and has the same customer support. Has to be .30 cal can though for my blackout and AR47.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In baited areas do you people leave some of sort of light source, perhaps like IR that the hog can not see, that would make things more visible to your equipment?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Very nice kill! What can are you using on that blackout? I'm pretty set on buying the dead air sandman S unless you can give me a better option that's quieter, cheaper, and has the same customer support. Has to be .30 cal can though for my blackout and AR47.

Crux Ark30. A 12oz titanium thread on suppressor. Bought several years ago via a group buy on Sniper's Hide at half MSRP at that time. It's not as quite as quiet as the 1 1/2" longer Gemtech Quicksand I own if shot side by side, but it often shrinks groups (shrinks groups on about 50-60% of the rifles its tried on). Now this is my opinion and is shared by Phil Dater late of Gemtech before S&W bought them out, but in general thread on suppressors give better accuracy than quick detach, IF ACCURACY IS A PRIMARY GOAL and shots will be at longer ranges. Quick detach will often have a little play in the connection, otherwise they wouldn't be quick detach. My Quicksand is more accurate than my Ark30 about 20% of the time. At close "plinking" distances, say 50yd or less, differences in accuracy may not be as noticeable or of any value to the shooter or target.

My Ark30 suffered a split (not my fault or my ammo fault or a baffle strike). I was told the titanium supplier had sent some faulty metal (hydrogen embrittlement, whatever that is). Crux repaired it and told me they increased the specs to their extreme duty line of suppressors to handle shorter bbls (I could not see any visible difference) at no charge, but it took about 3 months to get it back. Thousands of rounds later, no further problems and same accuracy as before.

Here's an example: My 5.56 Ruger American Ranch Rifle at 100yd with ammo it likes. The smaller 5 shot group was with the Ark30. The larger 3 shot group was with the Quicksand. Now in and of itself, the <1 1/2" Quicksand group out of the lightweight rifle is not bad, but compared to the much smaller Ark30 group, the choice of suppressor to use on that rifle was obvious for me. Without a suppressor attached, the RARR 5.56 gives me groups of about 3/4" center to center, so the Ark30 improved them about 1/8". In an ideal world you know someone(s) with suppressor(s) and the time for you to test with your rifle and ammo. I test every centerfire rifle I want to suppress with and without each suppressor.

DSCN3672.JPG DSCN3673.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3672.JPG
      DSCN3672.JPG
      56.4 KB · Views: 333
    • DSCN3673.JPG
      DSCN3673.JPG
      56.7 KB · Views: 363

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    In baited areas do you people leave some of sort of light source, perhaps like IR that the hog can not see, that would make things more visible to your equipment?

With thermal, no light source is needed, nor would it be visible via thermal. When I hunted with night vision (PVS-14 behind a NV compatible red dot sight), I used an infrared light source attached to the rifle to give a brighter longer view, especially on dark nights with no moon and clouds obscuring the starlight. In fact, sometimes I had 2 IR sources going. IR with night vision had an advantage in that IR reflected from animals eyes would make the eyes glow like little flash lights, making the animal easier to spot. IF I was to use night vision over bait, and I was more confident that hogs would come in, I do have some chem sticks that when activated give off IR for several hours to hang on a nearby branch or the feeder, thus lighting up the kill area for NV. Marines have used them in night ambush sites and/or for signaling night landing zones. A neat combo with night vision would be an IR laser attached to and sighted in with the rifle and say zeroed at 100yd. Put the PVS-14 on a helmet for walking in the dark and not even have to shoulder the rifle to shoot.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Have you seen these? A couple of my buddies find they work very well for sighting in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72F...fUOBqF4tTjRbODCy-fYhAChE-IxhNX_sk8f_atPpyDpqI

Never heard of it. Went to the web site, not much info on how it works, so I'm sorta "in the dark". Other than needing a sunny day and some type of roof over your head so you can see the thermal sight's screen in the day time, the method I use works, is inexpensive, and is MUCH easier than heating up metal or using hand warmers to shoot at. Of course the owner of the company is re-sighting in/verifying sight settings much more often than I need to do.

As a FWIW, I had cataract surgery a few months ago and found that I needed to re-sight in every rifle that had any type of optic (red to to magnifying scope). On my FLIR thermal I did have to refocus the optical lens on the viewing screen, but the sight settings themselves were fine since they show on a viewing screen instead of your eye looking directly at sights with nothing between the eye and the sights.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My apologies..I thought this was my friends video. This is a guy that tried it after he recommended it. They don't shoot it in the day time it is more right before sunset.

You can see the impact in black hot there. When the bullet goes through the material it generates heat. You can put a dot on it to aim at, then you can move the sight to the POI when it shows you where you hit. Even if your bullet goes through the same hole later it will still generate heat just not as much. It is easier than hot hands, heated foil, roofing nails...whatever you are using. They found the product and have been sharing the results.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Several years ago I tried an "+" made out of electrical tape. I used three layers.
    When the bullet went thru it generated a heat bloom about the size of a nickel. It quickly faded in about 15 seconds,to the size of the bullet ( .277" ).
    Muffler tape is all I need now. I use 3 layers. Seems that it glows brighter using my green color palette selection.
    I have Butler Creek scope covers on my thermal. No rubber eye cup for me. When sighting in during the daylight hours,I cover my head with a black piece of material. --- SAWMAN

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Several years ago I tried an "+" made out of electrical tape. I used three layers.
    When the bullet went thru it generated a heat bloom about the size of a nickel. It quickly faded in about 15 seconds,to the size of the bullet ( .277" ).
    Muffler tape is all I need now. I use 3 layers. Seems that it glows brighter using my green color palette selection.
    I have Butler Creek scope covers on my thermal. No rubber eye cup for me. When sighting in during the daylight hours,I cover my head with a black piece of material. --- SAWMAN

,I cover my head with a black piece of material. --- SAWMAN

Ever forget to take it off and walk into a 7 to 11 to get some refreshments?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Got a call from a farmer I know that a hog(s) had damaged his peanut field (the peanuts are already forming underground). Met farmer at the field, and he showed me the damage. Said I'd try and come out tonight and at least hopefully see what's doing the damage. At 10pm a large hog showed and began rooting up and eating peanuts. I stalked about 300 yards until I felt I couldn't get closer due to some high weeds (would have made too much noise going through the weeds that were between 2 peanut fields) and shot. He ran, and I put another shot in him. He fell about 40 yards away. A big one, it took all I had just to move him a few feet to a dirt road/path so I could take some pics. Probably the biggest I've taken. I left a message for the ranch owner asking for his help to move the hog in the morning.

As usual, I used a 300 Blackout. To get an idea of the size, my AR has a 16" bbl and the suppressor is 7.5".

DSCN3702.JPG DSCN3703.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3702.JPG
      DSCN3702.JPG
      72.4 KB · Views: 259
    • DSCN3703.JPG
      DSCN3703.JPG
      71.5 KB · Views: 237

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    thumbsup.png

Attachments

• thumbsup.png
      thumbsup.png
      5.3 KB · Views: 251

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good shot!! I saw 8 of the damn things in a retainment pond on Eglin coming back up from FWB. I guess they feel safe enough there to mill around in daylight.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    What mixture do you use on making sausage out of them "PORKERS:

When I've had sausage made, I take the meat to Oakes Meat Processing and have it made into Maple flavored (tried some flavors and my wife and I settled on Maple). However, the last three hogs I haven't known anyone that I knew wanted the meat or could handle a hog, and both my freezers are near full (I eat game meat every week), so the ranch owner (his multiple freezers are full of hog) brings his John Deere Gator and we tow the hog to a far corner of the ranch and let the wildlife take it (in a couple of days there's just a stain on the ground and a jaw bone left). Up until recently, I'd always prided myself on harvesting the meat, but everyone that's taken meat before has either died, moved away, or still has a freezer full OR, I wasn't able to kill a hog when they needed it for a BBQ or roast. The farmers and ranch owner want kills more so than saving meat, so we keep them happy and in turn we have hard to get hunting permission. Yesterday we got permission on 2 more fields.

In the past, a few times I was able to get hogs for people "on order", and that was a very satisfying experience. A family visiting from Missouri wanted 3 to take home, and a family wanted one for a Christmas dinner (they met me at a field to pick up their hog on the way home from a Christmas Party). One time I was going to physical therapy, and my therapist asked for a hog, and I delivered. It rarely works out though. Recently I tried hard to get a hog for an Air Force group's cookout, but they had a backup plan and bought a hog the day before the cookout.

Last night's hog was too big for me to handle with my not so good shoulder. It can be hard to have anyone "on call" in the middle of the night to come help load and clean a hog. Used to have a friend like that, but he moved to Alaska.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Got a phone call about 7:30 this evening. Farmer just came back from his peanut fields. He sez, Bruce, I've got an assignment for you. Hog or hogs were in the north peanut field last night. (I've never seen a hog in that field before.) So I made a trip to the peanut fields, arriving about 9pm, not intending to stay long. Left the rifle in the truck and walked a short distance (the length of a barn) to scan the fields. Saw a sounder entering, so went back to the truck put on my camo gloves and face cover and got my rifle. Wind was right, and I stalked close enough to ID a large sow. Took a steady kneeling position, aimed at her neck, and down she went. Called the property owner. He was still up, so he brought over his Gator and we loaded the hog up to remove her from the field. Large sow, 180 pounder.

As I stalked, a smaller hog started walking towards me. Was afraid it was gonna walk right up to me and spook the bigger hogs, but it turned about 15 yards away and went back to the sounder.

DSCN3712.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3712.JPG
      DSCN3712.JPG
      66.9 KB · Views: 242

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nice Piney Woods Rooter right there!

Top Bottom