• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About a year ago I joined this nextdoor group for my general region and neighborhood. It has adds of course from local businesses, but it is useful for lost pets and crime reports also.

For example just down street there were car burglaries and a purse with keys was stolen. Next night the car was stolen. Another neighborhood mentioned car breakins on nextdoor. The car owner drove that neighborhood and found his wife's car parked at a house. The thieves jumped into the car and drove across yards to get away. Thief is believed to be a relative of the owners of the residence where the car was sighted. Police now have that information.

so anything happening in the general Pace area of Santa Rosa County, FL is often posted their. The Sheriff's and other agencies also do general postings of things people should be aware of. I get email notices of new postings.

My major regret is that one cannot shoot a fleeing thief that has stolen your property. If it was up to me I would put their heads on my gate posts, but the law does not allow that.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is a great idea...there is so much crime (petty crime by police standards) that happens in neighborhoods that residents are completely unaware of. I would think cars slowly driving (maybe casing the neighborhood) would be mentioned too. I think statistically, most burglaries happen in mid day...and they are very different than home invasions which happen at night often and the bad guys come prepared to encounter and deal with the residents.

I think many people would be shocked at the amount of crime that occurs within a 10 block radius of their residence; especially those who live in decent neighborhoods.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This was done at night when people are not outside much. After this a lot more people will be installing electronic security.
    Where the stolen car was parked.
    InkedScreenshot_2019-05-17 Santa Rosa County Property Maps_LI  4963.jpg

Attachments

• InkedScreenshot_2019-05-17 Santa Rosa County Property Maps_LI  4963.jpg
      InkedScreenshot_2019-05-17 Santa Rosa County Property Maps_LI 4963.jpg
      115.3 KB · Views: 375

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "NextDoor" continues to grow into new communities unfortunately the ads are the price of admission (pay operating costs/profit).

Crime mapping for your area can be found here, just add your Zip Code in the first block.
    https://www.crimemapping.com/

Folks should also use this Link to find registered sex offenders near their location. Some sex offenders my have kids: where is little Johnny and Susie goint to play or sleep over?
    http://www.city-data.com/so/Florida.html

You can run individual personal ID information here:
    https://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/sops/offenderSearch.jsf

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah I had to remove the site way too much junk and non essential spam for me. We do have a homeowners FB page though so I am not missing much

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah I had to remove the site way too much junk and non essential spam for me. We do have a homeowners FB page though so I am not missing much
    For me it has been no worse for ads than say a typical forum like here and both are free; I have no plans of paying anything. And the identify of the thief is now known and he is living on the next street down from us on a street that has a trailer park that has been the source of trouble in the past. None of this would be in just a local homeowners FB page. In fact I am officially not part of a home owners association that is fine since they normally cost a yearly fee and often have rules that i would break.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    No HOA or fees here, just saying the dozen emails and ads were a killer and had nothing we did not have or the sheriffs website did not make us aware...Hope you enjoy it, just not my cup of tea

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Warning on fake nextdoor neighbor flyers

On an email I received.

BEWARE. Another person in North Harbor received a flyer inviting them to Next Door with my name on it. When you go online it asks for your Google ID and PW. That will open all the saved passwords you have in your Google Account. WARN YOUR NEIGHBORS TO LOOK FOR THESE IN THEIR MAILBOX NEWSPAPER BOX. Cathy Heavner is NOT INVOLVED.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cyber scammers will try to exploit just about anything popular. I haven't seen the suspect "mail box flyer" but we can assume it tries to get you to a similarly named web site close to offical NextDoor site. Good heads up!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is not just a nextdoor scam, but anything that asks you to put certain websites into your computer and press the links. I am getting several scam calls a day on the phone. Sometimes the telephone crooks are using my phone number on the caller ID when they call other residents. I had one lady call me about my caller id showing up on caller ID, I told her to block that number since I had no control over it. People try to use a local number to confuse people of the origin of the guy with the indian accent.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't use any of these things. We have a subdivision Facebook page, mainly people complaining about or looking for contractors post Hurricane Michael.

We have security cameras up around our house. 2006 footage was used to prove that 3 suspects were in our neighborhood. It was used during their trials, which all 3 received life sentences for a murder.

On the 8th of this month, there was a guy walking around the neighborhood checking for unlocked cars and stealing from them. An individual in the neighboor had his security cams catch the guy breaking into his car, but didn't get a good view of the culprit. Cam was facing down too far.

So the investigator called us to check our cams, and sure enough there the SOB was, checking our Expedition out. So called them back and said I got him on cam with a backpack, do-rag, and scarf over his face. Had a deputy over here 4 minutes later. They found this "Disguise" in his vehicle, which our footage showed. Guy was pulled over for a driving infraction and it just snowballed from there.

20190508_181032.jpg

20190508_181033.jpg

Attachments

• 20190508_181032.jpg
      20190508_181032.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 212
    • 20190508_181033.jpg
      20190508_181033.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 213

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stolen getaway car used in multiple thefts that crashed into a police car and house. The two crooks were active multiple neighborhoods. Hopefully of all of the non-nextdoor neighborhood groups were on the lookout for these two. Cops say they are surprised that the two goblins were able to flee after that wreck. If they are crazy enough to crash a police car I would say that they are dangerous.
    The owner of the car was out of town and has to buy a new car shame.

269fb4e1b1f4cb3d2d1616b3aa8060d4.jpeg.max800wrecked stolen car.jpg

From Berryhill
    h Suxxxxxxx. I am so sorry. This has happened to you. I have no idea when you left to go out of town but I really thought your car was there over the weekend. But we never know when your leaving or have left. Or I would have kept a better look after your property.
    Thousand Oaks
    Wow.. I remember the officer saying he was surprised they survived the wreck, and I can see why..

Again, I’m sorry about your car, Suxxxx

Attachments

• 269fb4e1b1f4cb3d2d1616b3aa8060d4.jpeg.max800wrecked stolen car.jpg
      269fb4e1b1f4cb3d2d1616b3aa8060d4.jpeg.max800wrecked stolen car.jpg
      118.8 KB · Views: 195

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At this stage of the game, how is anyone NOT locking their car every time they get out of it?? We hear about these goblins every week, ain't like the warning's aren't out there and have been going on since the 80's...Nothing Of Value is to be left in plain view in a car, and LOCK it...no more leaving the keys in it to warm up unless yer butt is in the seat.

Heck, I even lock it up in the garage...

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't figure out why people fail to lock their vehicles, ours is always locked. Also our vehicles are kept clean inside, there is NOTHING left out period. No clothes, no trash, no nothing except a carseat for our granddaughter.

If you don't want to lose it, don't leave it out. My dad beat that into my head as a kid, and I still practice that today. My only issue with the Expedition is the glove box doesn't lock, like it did on my Jeep, as I keep a backup gun in it, and have gotten into the habit of bringing it in at night for now. With the Jeep I would unlock the glove box take the trigger lock off when we left and put the trigger lock back on and lock glove box up when we got home. Typically thieves are looking for a quick and easy score and aren't going to mess with stuff locked.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Locking is important, these thieves were out stealing from cars that in most cases were unlocked. My cars are kept inside of a large yard with several dogs sleeping outside nearby that are territorial.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Latest update on the car thieves
    They believe they know who it is. Just putting it all together to make it stick
    If they can prove they crashed into the police car that should net them some significant jail time.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    looks like the cops have real good idea of at least one of the crooks assuming this was not stolen also
    One of them left his wallet and ID in car..... this is a total tv show cross of
    Cops and Worlds dumbest criminals!!

Top Bottom