Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    GCGF Supporter Ross7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Crestview
    Posts
    1,751

    Battle Brewing Over Gun Waiting Period

    Fortunately I avoid the waiting period with my CWL and I've never gotten a "Decision Pending", maybe an uncommon last name has helped with that.

    A class action lawsuit was filed against the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) by gun advocates, saying potential gun owners are being left in limbo as it relates to a waiting period to purchase a gun.

    In Florida, there is a three day waiting period when purchasing a gun, in order to allow authorities time to conduct a background check on the would-be gun owner. Lately, owners of stores like The Arms Room say they are seeing more customers having to wait longer than the three days.

    "Somehow FDLE has gotten the idea that that three-day background requirement no longer applies to them, and that they can just ignore it and ignore it indefinitely with no time limit," said Florida Carry's attorney, Eric Friday. Florida Carry says a "Decision Pending" status started affecting more customers after the passage of the Parkland bill in 2018.
    http://www.fox35orlando.com/news/loc...waiting-period


  2. #2
    45 ACP Big Shrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    458
    Never had to wait over an hour for the computer decision to come back.
    A pawn shop or gun shop can get a touchscreen tablet with the BATF 4473 program...
    it's WAY faster than the phone call. Usually the answer comes back within 15 minutes.

    Did get ONE hold for Decision two years ago due to a dipstick with the same first & last name kidnapping his niece & going Amber Alert...but certainly understood WHY! I've actually been held for check by an officer on the side of the road once for the same turkey being wanted in connection with a felony...thank goodness we don't have the same middle name and he's 20-something years older!! Fortunately he's currently in jail for the next 20 years, so future checks should be rather easy


    The situation the OP listed does make one wonder how much of the Delay is due to the New Florida Ag Secretary being Anti-gun???

  3. #3
    Local Dealer Little Jack's Guns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Milton
    Posts
    3,533
    After the last rule change I had a customer that had to wait 2 months for his approval. With the new rules, i can't let the gun go until the state says I can. Old rule was 3 days, then I could legally let the buyer have the gun, decision or not.

    ETA. I've had ccw holders get "pending" before. Don't think that the card clears you off these hassles. Not to mention the issues with the latest dept of ag and how they're treating current ccw holders
    Last edited by Little Jack's Guns; 05-14-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    Intentionally Left Blank.... Or is it?

  4. #4
    45 ACP Big Shrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    458
    Maybe some folks need to sue the Ag Dept so that clown lady gets the right message...mess with legitimate gun owner, you get a lotta legal headaches and toilet paper in yer trees

  5. #5
    12 GA Snake-Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    740
    And there are "pro-2A" idiots who still support even MORE background checks Nationwide...

    Yeah, what could possibly go wrong.
    Never under-estimate the Will and Ingenuity of the Oppressed...

  6. 3 Like Snake-Eyes's Post:


  7. #6
    45 ACP IronBeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    32539
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Eyes View Post
    And there are "pro-2A" idiots who still support even MORE background checks Nationwide...

    Yeah, what could possibly go wrong.
    I suspect there are also "pro-2A" idiots that support Nikki Fried, too. She came right out and promised she would make CCW permits harder to get and hold, and there she sits in office. I see no outward sign that the republican(?) governor has even voiced an opinion on her conduct or the 2A. Not encouraging.
    What gets to me is the somewhat unremarkable incrementalism that creeps up on people who are sitting still. All around them things are moving along and one day they realize that just because they're not bothering anyone, it doesn't necessarily follow that no one's going to bother them.

  8. #7
    50 CAL FrommerStop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBeard View Post
    I suspect there are also "pro-2A" idiots that support Nikki Fried, too. She came right out and promised she would make CCW permits harder to get and hold, and there she sits in office. I see no outward sign that the republican(?) governor has even voiced an opinion on her conduct or the 2A. Not encouraging.
    Fried represents a powerful group, the marijuana lobby, and that is why she was elected. Her antigun position did not hurt her getting elected either. Marijuana represents a powerful lobbying and financial group. Put the two positions together and that gives her some political power and protection. I know that early on her office did some crappy things to CCW people. I have not heard what she has been doing lately.

  9. #8
    45 ACP IronBeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    32539
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by FrommerStop View Post
    Fried represents a powerful group, the marijuana lobby, and that is why she was elected. Her antigun position did not hurt her getting elected either. Marijuana represents a powerful lobbying and financial group. Put the two positions together and that gives her some political power and protection. I know that early on her office did some crappy things to CCW people. I have not heard what she has been doing lately.
    And that illustrates the core problem perfectly; we have degenerated into mob rule, and money talks, rather than constitutional governing. At this point in time, both government and justice are for sale.
    Last edited by IronBeard; 05-17-2019 at 06:05 AM. Reason: sp
    What gets to me is the somewhat unremarkable incrementalism that creeps up on people who are sitting still. All around them things are moving along and one day they realize that just because they're not bothering anyone, it doesn't necessarily follow that no one's going to bother them.

  10. #9
    50 CAL FrommerStop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NWFL
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBeard View Post
    And that illustrates the core problem perfectly; we have degenerated into mob rule, and money talks, rather than constitutional governing. At this point in time, both government and justice are for sale.
    Nothing new about that. It has always been that way. Now days due to better communication technology it is just more apparent.

  11. Likes FrommerStop's Post:


  12. #10
    12 GA Snake-Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by FrommerStop View Post
    Nothing new about that. It has always been that way. Now days due to better communication technology it is just more apparent.
    Nah. As recent as 240-years-ago, people were already getting fed up with government and "justice" being paid for by foreign influences. When the over-stepping arrogance of that foreign power was challenged, there wasn't an amount of money you could pay either the Colonials or the redcoats to solve the core issues.

    Those brave souls who fought to found this Place would be proud of what we've accomplished and simultaneously disgusted at what we've allowed.

    These concessions that undermine the Constitution... all in the name of "public safety" but they're just mechanisms for public Control.
    Never under-estimate the Will and Ingenuity of the Oppressed...

  13. 4 Like Snake-Eyes's Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •