• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is what happened http://time.com/5588613/appalachian-trail-murder-hiker-threats/
    For the past couple of weeks, hikers along the Appalachian Trail had been warning each other about a hiker who was threatening other hikers with a large knife.

The man, who had the trail nickname of “Sovereign,” was arrested in Tennessee last month after some hikers reported him to authorities. But he was released after pleading guilty to possession of marijuana and other minor charges.

Over the weekend, matters turned deadly in southwestern Virginia, where he is accused of stabbing one hiker to death and seriously injuring another.

Just a good sturdy walking stick might have saved a life. Call 911 and the police may be more than minutes away.

Violent crimes have occurred before to hikers on the Appalachian Trail.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I don't understand why anyone would go hiking without some kind of protection, seems rather foolish at best.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guns are banned from the Trail, that is just stupid.

Says who?? The trail goes through many states. So I'd assume each state has it's own rules etc... Federal parks you can carry in etc... I would not be visiting any remote trail that doesn't allow me to protect myself.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When I lived in Maine,the AT crossed the county road approx. 6 miles south of where I lived.
    The hikers would hitchhike into our small town,"invade" the local motels to the tune of 6-10 to a room,have a meal at the local diner,and hitchhike back to the AT to continue their journey.
    They would also go to the local post office to pick up their care package usually mailed to them by their mommies. They would sit outside the post office and open the package,take out all the candy,dried fruit,and the $20 bill,and leave the box and the rest of the packing material out by the street.
    For the most part they were dirty,arrogant,tree and bunny huggers,and hippies/yuppies usually from NH,CT,MA,and NY. Very few " thru hikers" from the states to the south.
    BUT . . . I made quite a bit of money off of them. When headed south past the AT, I would cruze through town. If any of them were hitchhikeing to the AT,I would charge them $10 each or $20 for three of them,for a ride to the AT. Passing the AT,headed back to town,I would do the same thing.
    That would be money in my hand BEFORE their dirty ass was in the back of my truck also. NO EXCEPTIONS !!
    A few times I was coming back home with an empty 6 place snomobile trailer. I could put 14 or so on it. I had 8 in the back of my Dodge 2500 one time.
    If they were by the AT at late afternoon,they were desperate to get into town before the other hikers made it to the roadside. I would stop,and seeing the desperation for a hot shower in their eyes . . . I would charge them double,sometimes triple.
    My Dodge V10 ran on the money from the AT hikers,pretty much all summer. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guns are banned from the Trail, that is just stupid.

From the trail website.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/hiking-basics/safety
    We discourage the carrying of firearms

Although carrying (with proper permits) is now legal on National Park Service lands in states where they are allowed on state parklands, firearms can be turned against you or result in an accidental shooting, and they are extra weight most hikers find unnecessary.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    From the article:
    "Brian King, a spokesman for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy,... “We give a lot of safety advice, which people tend to follow, but with someone with an intent to do evil, how do you guard against that?” King said."

Easy. Shoot him in the face. Repeatedly.

But, guns are bad... and too heavy for hikers, right?
    Seems a gun is easier to carry than your hiking buddy's casket, but what do I know...

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve given up trying to understand people that won’t protect themselves and their families.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I would be carrying anyway :) Don't like following stupid rules!

old saying goes: I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6....

permit? badge? we don't need no stinking permits or badges..
    shall not be infringed..

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A 13.0oz 38 snubby does not seem alot more to carry to me.
    Heck . . . call it a signeling device. I have been on many "lost hiker" rescues on the AT. If they would have had a firearm it would have made our job easier. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 13.0oz 38 snubby does not seem alot more to carry to me.
    Heck . . . call it a signeling device. I have been on many "lost hiker" rescues on the AT. If they would have had a firearm it would have made our job easier. --- SAWMAN
    Even a baby .25 Browning would help out a lot.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Link @ Post #12, opening page has one paragraph on general info, seven paragraphs on possible criminal encounter awareness AND a final anti-gun paragraph with the intent to discourage you from lawful carrying of firearms because they can be turned against you and there presents creates unnecessary additional weight! LMFAO! DoI/NPS had a melt down when the firearm prohibitions were eliminated! They still push the anti gun message.

If someone has evil intent towards you, they will do it with or without "your" gun. If a person can't carry the additional "burden" of 2lbs+- of gun/ammo they have no business hiking in the wilderness.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lot of good to be said for a big honking knife as well.
    Buck 119 goes Everywhere...fun to carve fuzz sticks with!

Or getcha one of those Tac-Ti-Kewl knives!!

Attachments

• Buck 119.jpg
      Buck 119.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 139
    • 17458186_10206622744407641_3569377450576431677_n.jpg
      17458186_10206622744407641_3569377450576431677_n.jpg
      24.2 KB · Views: 135
    Top Bottom