• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From the article:
    "Brian King, a spokesman for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy,... “We give a lot of safety advice, which people tend to follow, but with someone with an intent to do evil, how do you guard against that?” King said."

Easy. Shoot him in the face. Repeatedly.

But, guns are bad... and too heavy for hikers, right?
    Seems a gun is easier to carry than your hiking buddy's casket, but what do I know...

Yeah, thanks for that Brian. I'll deal with the extra weight, and just go ahead and roll the dice on having anything turned against me. Go ahead and finish your all-natural yogurt now.........

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is not just the Appalachian trail, but also any nature setting that provides some isolation giving an opportunity to evil doers free of regular police surveillance. Below I make reference to the murders a couple of years ago of two adolescent girls killed in a nature trail setting in Indiana.

Witness in Delphi double murder likely afraid to come forward, investigator says. It's been more than two years since young Abby Williams and Libby German were found dead in Delphi, Indiana, but investigators believe they're close to finding their killer. https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/wit...afraid-forward-investigator/story?id=63029385
    Murder site
    02.19_delphi_social railbridge.jpg

Attachments

• 02.19_delphi_social railbridge.jpg
      02.19_delphi_social railbridge.jpg
      234.3 KB · Views: 142

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5554692 Not the AT, but it was while a few girls were camping. Someone ran over their tent with a truck, then went to town with an axe. ANY gun would have helped them out in this situation. You're not safe anywhere that the general public has access to. There's always going to be demented people on the loose.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "You're not safe anywhere that the general public has access to."

That's one of the truest no BS statements I've read in a good while.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "You're not safe anywhere that the general public has access to."

That's one of the truest no BS statements I've read in a good while.
    You might be surprised by what the homeless, street people, and teenagers can get into.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW, I have looked into hiking several trails, the AT being one, and have run across numerous posts/opinions with one central theme: You should be more concerned about protecting yourself from two-legged animals than the four-legged variety. Locally, I'll have nothing to do with Eglin section of the Florida Trail because they prohibit concealed carry.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We used the AT to access some great hunting areas. That,plus putting many miles on the AT both east and west from me me,as a EMT and member of the local rescue squad,gave me some prospective on how it was generally used.
    Many different types of people used the trail,for a variety of reasons. When you think AT,it brings to mind a yuppie,bird watcher,well off,office worker,off for a summer of getting back to nature. Some fit this profile really close. Some profiles are waaaaay away from this.
    Some other things the AT in all states are related to: people escapeing the law . . people escapeing other people including boyfriends,parents,relatives . . people escapeing themselves (mental problems) . . people using the trail to access their wacky weed groves and/or magic mushrooms.
    The AT has camping areas. Some with small lean-to's,fire pits,tree stump chairs,etc,etc. For the most part a hiker cannot just build a fire and pitch a tent just anywhere along the AT.
    This fact is what brings the hikers together. Tents fairly close together. Sometimes a smallish out house shared by all hikers. This close proximity causes problems between "normal" hikers and is a great help to the people that want/intend to do you harm. --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom