• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • _Fury_

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m going to be visiting my daughter in Gainesville, Florida shortly and will be bringing a carry gun with me. I want to gift it to her while there. I am WA state resident, she is FL resident, 21+. I think this must be done at an FFL, Is that correct? Should we expect to walk out with the pistol within a few mins, or will there be a delay, generally speaking. Any suggestions for a reasonable FFL in the Gainesville area?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No FFL required. This is still a free Country.
    You can give your daughter a gift wherever you please.

If any asshat wants paperwork details, thank them for self-identifying themself as an enemy of your family.

Consider this: she could buy a gun from a fellow Florida reisident without any FFL or paperwork. She would then have exactly the same amount of "proof" of where she got it, compared to a gift from her father.

You seem like a caring father, wanting to do what's right. Rest easy.
    I suggest you spend that unnecessary FFL fee money on ammo and range time with her.
    Enjoy your visit to the Sunshine State, and Welcome to the Forum!

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I will add this thought, however: if she is a college student, there are rules she should be aware of for firearm possession on school grounds, in her dorm, car, etc. I am not current on those details, but they should be easy to find. Recent legislation abominations have changed a few things.

Regardless, a Concealed Weapon License is my recommendation. The class/instruction would probably make both of you feel better.

*I added this as another post (instead of editing my original) for various "new guy forum profile settings" reasons. Have a safe trip.

_Fury_

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for your reply. Totally agree with the spirit of the reply as well. That said, I think I’m still going to go ahead with the transfer at an ffl. Anyone know a reasonable place in Gainesville to do the transfer?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DISCLAIMER Non-Lawyer: Florida does not have a Universal Background Check requirement for all transfers. There is no Florida State required registration for firearms. You are not "Selling a firearm". You are providing a firearm as a "Bonafide Gift". The only problem would be if you have knowledge that the intended recipient falls under the definition of "firearms restricted person". An NFA Item would require appropriate Fed Transfer documentation.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for your reply. Totally agree with the spirit of the reply as well. That said, I think I’m still going to go ahead with the transfer at an ffl. Anyone know a reasonable place in Gainesville to do the transfer?

I'm not familiar with Gainesville shops, however, if/when someone points you to one, and you call them to explain your situation, please let us know what they say.

If a shop wanted to charge you to do a NICS check and paperwork for a gift from father to daughter, personally, I'd stay the hell away from them.

Let us know how it goes.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, he is from Anti-Gun Washington State...used to be a great place, but then the Seattle nuts took over...I think all that weed just makes it easier to lull the stupid into being Democrats.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Well, he is from Anti-Gun Washington State...used to be a great place, but then the Seattle nuts took over...I think all that weed just makes it easier to lull the stupid into being Democrats.

give a man a fat joint of seattle green, he will vote for you....

they are buying votes with weed laws

Last edited:
    Top Bottom