• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gander Outdoors is doing free firearm transfers. You only pay the $5 background check. Also, they have some pretty good deals on used firearms and Remington shotgun shells.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Hell I may buy a few things I don't need. Lol. It gets people in the store to see more stuff they don't need. Could benefit them overall

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hell I may buy a few things I don't need. Lol. It gets people in the store to see more stuff they don't need. Could benefit them overall

I understand the traffic in the store but if you're doing a transfer there, that's a good indication that you know what the internet is and are ok with waiting a bit to save some money. Unless the rest of their pricing is competitive with internet pricing it seems like a losing venture. That's just a WAG on my part though.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Desperate times for them, clearly...

And for good reason. Their firearms selection is 10x what academy is, yet when I drive by most times you can count the cars in the parking lot on 2 hands.

Parking at academy is usually limited to the last few rows.

Worst thing gander ever did was keep the gander name. Gander is synonymous with high prices... giraffe pooty high.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Exactly. That's what they said.
    As mentioned by some below, they aren't very busy most of the time. I know their website sucks and they keep saying they will get more reloading products but it's pretty slim. But as already mentioned, they have Remington 12 and 20 shotgun shells for around $5 which you will not find anywhere, including the Academy. When Gander opened up, Academy has some really good sales, but haven't seen anything for a while now. I also picked up some brass 9mm FMJ for around $8 for 50rds at Gander. Besides the various "deals" and the used firearms, there's nothing else that is really worth it for me. Can't say I would ever put them in the category of Dick's though. Dick's shot their dick off. No pun intended, if that was one!-:)

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I can't afford a gun unless it's used at gander. Most of their ammo at club price is still too high. Some of their clothing prices are insane.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I bought a gun there, same price as the online stores. brick and mortar stores are in hard time comparing to the internet. I haven't bought a lot online the past few months, are the internet stores charging sales tax yet?

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They have fair prices on their gunstuff, some high, and some higher than other local places, but all in all, very fair. I think the higher priced stuff is for the people with the ideology that if it's high priced, it's the best. Even tho you can find the same exact item cheaper, if you call around.
    I find myself going there for fishing stuff too, just because they carry a greater selection of lures other local places don't, and the prices are really fair. But the rods are mostly high (quality rods tho), but they are everywhere.
    I just wished they (Academy Sports, Walmart, etc) had someone knowledgeable of this area and order stuff most likely used around here. If you ask them to maybe stock something, they tell you to go on "their" website and order it. BS, if I gotta order your stuff on-line that you should have in stock for this area, I'm ordering from the cheapest place. As it is now, they say they have no control on what corporate sends them. A good example of such goofy items are the moose calls in Walmart and at Academy. Their saltwater and freshwater lure choices are dwindling, especially Walmart. And they wonder why internet sales are putting them out of business. It;s not 100% all the internet, it's their business practices. I'd pay a dollar more for a pack of weedless worms or saltwater grubs that I want today, instead of waiting for a mail delivery. Anyway, Gander has some fair prices.

Last edited:

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I just bought a Sig P365 for 477.00 OTD. No requirement to be a Good Sams member.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    When you buy a firearm, the good Sam savings is enough to pay for the good Sam membership itself. For a year.
    For a few dollars more, with that kind of selection, I don’t have to wait for shipping and feel like I’m bothering someone to transfer for me, so I’m a fan.

Btw, there’s a nice lcp for like $150.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    When you buy a firearm, the good Sam savings is enough to pay for the good Sam membership itself. For a year.
    For a few dollars more, with that kind of selection, I don’t have to wait for shipping and feel like I’m bothering someone to transfer for me, so I’m a fan.

We have been Good Sam Members for a while now, but for camping. We just saved alot staying up in Pine Mountain, GA. The discounts at RV Parks pays for the membership...

Don't know if I would join just to get discounts on guns and such. You can always get a good deal online or whatever if you want to do your homework.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

If gander can keep offering prices like that there's much less reason to transfer. After you take out sales tax and the background fee, nitro paid less for his 365 than I do from a distributor. Enjoy it while it's available.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If gander can keep offering prices like that there's much less reason to transfer. After you take out sales tax and the background fee, nitro paid less for his 365 than I do from a distributor. Enjoy it while it's available.
    Agreed. My 45 was just under $600 OTD with the “free” membership.
    Best I found online was just under $500. After CC fee, shipping and transfer, it’s pretty flippin’ close, so I call the few extra dollars, the “now” premium.
    Unfortunately, the place is always empty, so like Nate says, enjoy while it lasts.

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’m probably mistaken but I thought I read somewhere that Academy would price match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom