• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTBob

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Howdy all

Bob from Hartford, CT area. How is everyone doing down there?
    I am thinking about retiring down in the Venice area sometime in the future.
    I belong to 2 private sportsmans clubs up here with rifle.handgun, trap, skeet and archery ranges. They both have
    club houses... Anyway, I did a short search and can't seem to be able to find any in this style down there.
    Is there such a thing down there in a 40 min radius of Venice? Not a commercial or town range but a club...?
    Hog hunting??

Thanks all and thanks all for accepting my join!

CTBob

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Howdy all

Bob from Hartford, CT area. How is everyone doing down there?
    I am thinking about retiring down in the Venice area sometime in the future.
    I belong to 2 private sportsmans clubs up here with rifle.handgun, trap, skeet and archery ranges. They both have
    club houses... Anyway, I did a short search and can't seem to be able to find any in this style down there.
    Is there such a thing down there in a 40 min radius of Venice? Not a commercial or town range but a club...?
    Hog hunting??

Thanks all and thanks all for accepting my join!

CTBob

I have done some work in the Venice area and never had a problem. The people were nice and there is plenty to do within a reasonable drive. Of course, the further South you go in Florida the more expensive things become although I would think they would still be more reasonable than up your way. I have never encountered a sportsman club in Florida. Probably are some but I don't know of any. A lot of us can shoot on our property or have a buddy that will let us shoot on their place and with the South in general being gun friendly (for now anyway) you probably won't find many clubs. Lots of ranges though. Plenty public land down that way but I'm not sure of what all can be hunted on. And yes, there are piles of hogs down that way. Good luck!

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I was looking for ranges to shoot at, came across the Sarasota Gun Club which is about 30 mins from Venice give or take. Now the facilities were beautiful and the costs were not alot but they (at least a few years ago ) seemed to be only Trap shooting.. But they were very pretty facilities & they did have a club house..

http://sarasotagunclub.com/index.aspx

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the return brothers... Here are the links to the clubs I belong to. They are pretty much little communities.

Wolcott, CT Land Owners Association - http://www.wlopa.com/
    Rockville Fish and Game - http://rockvillefishandgameclub.com/

There are many of this type here in commieneticut many have 2-3 year waiting lists.

Cheers!

You know seriously, if you are looking for a full boat gun club like that, there are several I have seen in the state..

You may want to think about Not limiting yourself to Venice and look at some of the full boar clubs 1st and move in that area.. It seems unless you are stuck on the Venice area this is a golden time to find someplace that meets those needs..

Do not know of all of the gun clubs, and each is such a personal choice.. But a good example Is the OK Corral Gun Range in Okeechobee, FL.

https://okcorralgunclub.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEP8v5BSwvE

They have a little bit of everything there.. And one thing I like is that you can opt to pay for just one day at the range and test the place out.. I have found that shooting at a range tells you about 150 times more about that range then just about any tour will.

Last edited:

CTBob

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Settling in Florida

You know seriously, if you are looking for a full boat gun club like that, there are several I have seen in the state..

You may want to think about Not limiting yourself to Venice and look at some of the full boar clubs 1st and move in that area.. It seems unless you are stuck on the Venice area this is a golden time to find someplace that meets those needs..

Do not know of all of the gun clubs, and each is such a personal choice.. But a good example Is the OK Corral Gun Range in Okeechobee, FL.

https://okcorralgunclub.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEP8v5BSwvE

They have a little bit of everything there.. And one thing I like is that you can opt to pay for just one day at the range and test the place out.. I have found that shooting at a range tells you about 150 times more about that range then just about any tour will.

Believe me if the location were 100% up to me there are tons of places I would rather settle than Venice or the entire area from North Tampa to Naples. Everglades City, The panhandle, Gainesville yaddy yadda would be more my choice. Im not a beach or sun freak and no longer a younger man. So.. the wife has several Ukranian/Russian friends who moved down there and wants to rejoin them... As for me I couldnt care less if I know anyone. For now with a few more years of teaching left in me and with the commies closin in up here I definately want out. Enough of me rambling Thanks for the come back... Cheers

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi CTBob I know both the Wolcott, CT Land Owners Association, and the Rockville Fish and Game well. I lived in Cheshire CT area for 54yrs before moving down here in 2012.

Florida has many private and public gun ranges . Unfortunately as pointed out the Venice area is a bit far from here so specific information will be hard to get on this forum .

As for hunting down here it's very different from what you'd be use to up in the New England area. There are some public areas but most are private hunting clubs that you need to pay for and become a member .

Good luck .

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Indy-that OK Corral range is one sharp place, I had to go down there a few years ago and put in a small flood control structure and some levees and we ate in the restaurant they have and it was stomp down good. Somebody has sunk a pile of money in the place. There is a gun range about a mile West of the OK, I don't remember the name but they rent machine guns and have a nice gun shop.

edit-just remembered................Okeechobee Shooting Sports is the name. I also see that OK Corral bills themselves as a a sports club, so I've been to a sports club and didn't know it.

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Indy-that OK Corral range is one sharp place, I had to go down there a few years ago and put in a small flood control structure and some levees and we ate in the restaurant they have and it was stomp down good. Somebody has sunk a pile of money in the place. There is a gun range about a mile West of the OK, I don't remember the name but they rent machine guns and have a nice gun shop.

You know that is one fascinating thing about the Shooting sports, it can take many forms, and can cost as much as you want to pay.. I think that Range with the machine gun rental is Okeechobee Shooting Sports (At least this is one of them in that area). One nice thing of that range is they allow 50 BMG and Belt Feds. Always a plus..

CTBob

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info from all. For me Sarasota thru Naples is not my character. Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, and Broward and Dade counties are as far as Im concerned going from the pan into the fire coming from Hartford with all the illegals planned on being dumped into FLA and the far left infiltration. Would love to settle in the panhandle or North central but wife is set on the beach life (yuk). But enough of this, and again, thanks to all for the responses and I'll see you around the forum. Cheers!

CTBob

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Destin beaches are some of the best in the world, much better than where you are talking about...you need to visit
    https://www.emeraldcoastfl.com/disc...IepS3p-qMXIUHuJIgr87j3CxhTC4Uo7pta-uXGMI6UKIM

Frank

All I can say is WOW! Very nice and the surrounding area looks like its all me... BUT it isnt my wife. There in lies the rub. She has a gaggle of Russian friends who own properties in Venice-North Port. Happy wife happy life..... But yeah what you showed me is 100% heaven. Looks like theres miles n miles of hunting and close to Mobile Louisianna... What about hospitals?

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You know that is one fascinating thing about the Shooting sports, it can take many forms, and can cost as much as you want to pay.. I think that Range with the machine gun rental is Okeechobee Shooting Sports (At least this is one of them in that area). One nice thing of that range is they allow 50 BMG and Belt Feds. Always a plus..

you're right about the money angle that's for sure! Yes, they do rent belt feds but I never saw a 50. The man that owns the place is Jeff. A nicer fellow would be hard to find. Actually the work I did was right next to his place. When a nice rain came the water flowed off the govt property and flooded his range out so I got to fix the problem and shoot some too. Everybody was happy!

EMitch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi, CTBob, I just moved to Tampa from Norwich a couple of weeks ago! There are a couple of good ranges near where I'm living now, one of which is huge!

Top Bottom