• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Wednesday got a call that my brother's Georgia farm has been sold. New owners close May 28th. Bittersweet news; happy for my brother, but sad for the no more deer hunting there. I'd spent a decade hunting deer there, taking 2-3 every year. Great visiting his family every fall with lots of deer processors in competition with lots of choices on what you want done with the meat. I always got various flavors of jerky made.

But then on Wednesday I got a message that a farmer I'd never met asked for some help with hogs. Planting peanuts and could someone come with experience and encourage hogs to die and leave his fields alone this week. Went yesterday and scouted...lots of hog sign just where the farmer said it would be. Measured shooting distances and safe directions to shoot and where to park. Met the farmer...Very nice and friendly...thanked me for coming out and helping farmers (I was referred to the farmer by a property owner I know)...hates hogs...throw them in the ditch for all he cares he says (we always try and use/give away the meat I tell him). Can you use corn to bait for shooting he asks?...Yes, my night hunting partner and I were going to buy some after I left from scouting...here's a 55 gallon barrel of corn you can use; if you need more, here's my name and number; just call, and I'll bring it right over.

I put out some corn yesterday. Leaving in a few minutes to recheck the area. With the 0.3" of rain we got here last evening/night, I suspect conditions for hogs to be out tonight will be good. Don't know if this will lead to a new long term hog hunting permission or not.

The farmer we have had a long term hog hunting permission with had already asked Sawman and I to keep coming out this year. I also scouted some of his fields...a little hog sign, but not much...we've hit his fields over several years, removing 4009 pounds of hogs, so his area is pretty much in control (at this moment!). He showed us his fields for planting peanuts this year so we knew where to concentrate.

Edit: Back from checking. No fresh hog tracks, rooting, or corn eaten last night, but then that's Florida hog hunting...hogs like to roam.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good news . . . Bad news.
    The good news is . . . I am the one that bought your brothers farm. The bad news is . . . now it will cost you to hunt or I will sell it to a developer to build a mini-mall.
    BUT - - - -> ready to hunt. Thanks for all the intel. Got my 85's shooting great. Thermal still on my 18" 6.8 but still thinking to swapping it back to the 10.5". Be mo-bedda in the buggy. Got a bunch of 115gr Fed Fusion . . . might try the gun with them. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Head/neck shot (CNS). Take rear quarters and shoulders + backstraps without gutting.
    Smoke . . . then pulled pork. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    1 cup to 1gal water. Meat in as small a cooler as possible. Change water 2-4 times when red. The more times you change the water,the more it will taste like it came from Publix. Rinse meat thoroughly ( I scrub with brush under running water to get rid of excess salt). --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    After cutting the backstrap (aka tenderloin), shoulders, and hams off (remove the hide) (we normally do not gut to get the inside tenderloin), wash with a hose to remove most of the stray hairs and bloody areas. Put in cooler, cover with ice, add salt (I use coarse salt sprinkled over the ice until it looks like a thin layer of salt). Every 24 hours drain the liquid, add more ice and salt. It takes me 3-4 days before the drained water doesn't look like blood in it. Remove meat and thoroughly pick off any hairs, broken pieces of bone; I also trim the fat off too and any cut out really wrecked little area/pieces of meat. I then take it to have sausage/or smoked ham made and/or wrap and freeze shoulders to later make pulled pork from. A couple of times my wife made pulled pork in the crock pot, in which case I cut the meat from the bones first.

I clean wearing dish washing gloves. Wash my hands after handling the meat, and take a shower when done cleaning. Cook all pork till at least 165 degrees (making pulled pork goes way above that).

I've killed hogs in Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties in Florida. Have never had a boar stink. Have never had meat that tasted bad. Never killed a hog in which the meat looked strange...if the meat looked strange or bad, I'd toss the whole thing. However, my neighbor (used to raise hogs) could tell by taste that some pulled pork I shared with the neighborhood came from a boar...no one else could.

Soaking in salt water seems to be a key component.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Remember also - - -> a somewhat thick salt brine will help kill any bacteria that could be lurking. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom