• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Per your 2nd request indy1918a4.

Pattern 1853 Enfield, with a 1863 lock plate, re-barreled with a Oct 1866 barrel for conversion to the Snider loading system. She's an Afghanistan bring back, and she has all the appropriate proof marks, and is marked II** (Meaning she was originally made as a muzzle loader, then had a new barrel installed converting it to a breachloader). You can make out the stock cartouche in the one picture, and you can see where the stock has shrunk with age letting the butt-plate stand a little proud of it. Speaking of the butt-plate there is some very faint Arabic script on it, so faint that it could be mistaken for scratches.

The sling swivel on the trigger guard, is a replacement done sometime in its past, although incorrect it's part of her long story. She's ugly, but she's been there and done that more times than she was designed to do. A true testament to old world craftsmanship.

IMG_0021a.jpg

IMG_0022a.jpg

IMG_0023a.jpg

IMG_0024a.jpg

IMG_0026a.jpg

IMG_0027a.jpg

IMG_0028ab.jpg

IMG_0029ab.jpg

IMG_0031ab.jpg

IMG_0032ab_2016-09-26_17-36-36.jpg

IMG_0037ab.jpg

IMG_0039ab.jpg

IMG_0307a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0021a.jpg
      IMG_0021a.jpg
      64.5 KB · Views: 333
    • IMG_0022a.jpg
      IMG_0022a.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 357
    • IMG_0023a.jpg
      IMG_0023a.jpg
      78.3 KB · Views: 357
    • IMG_0024a.jpg
      IMG_0024a.jpg
      87.7 KB · Views: 365
    • IMG_0026a.jpg
      IMG_0026a.jpg
      95 KB · Views: 350
    • IMG_0027a.jpg
      IMG_0027a.jpg
      81 KB · Views: 346
    • IMG_0028ab.jpg
      IMG_0028ab.jpg
      80 KB · Views: 351
    • IMG_0029ab.jpg
      IMG_0029ab.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 348
    • IMG_0031ab.jpg
      IMG_0031ab.jpg
      73.7 KB · Views: 336
    • IMG_0032ab_2016-09-26_17-36-36.jpg
      IMG_0032ab_2016-09-26_17-36-36.jpg
      87.4 KB · Views: 328
    • IMG_0037ab.jpg
      IMG_0037ab.jpg
      186.5 KB · Views: 339
    • IMG_0039ab.jpg
      IMG_0039ab.jpg
      208 KB · Views: 344
    • IMG_0307a.jpg
      IMG_0307a.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 340
    Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    aawww many thanks.., That is a real beauty. Have always had a fondness for the Snyder loading latch..

That is just nice... Sorry I ever even thunked such an ugly Khyber pass remake thought in the past. :)..

By the way its Indy1919a4 not Indy1918a4.. But I would not look at Indy1918a2 as an insult :)

Thanks again.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    aawww many thanks.., That is a real beauty. Have always had a fondness for the Snyder loading latch..

That is just nice... Sorry I ever even thunked such an ugly Khyber pass remake thought in the past. :)..

By the way its Indy1919a4 not Indy1918a4.. But I would not look at Indy1918a2 as an insult :)

Thanks again.

Fat fingered the phone while typing and still half asleep. One thing about being Retired, no set bedtime and no set wakeup time.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By the way have you ever worked up a load to shoot her??? I have seen a couple that used 24 ga shot gun shells.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not yet. I've got two rifles I need to make ammo for, this one, and a 1879 Swiss Vetterli M69/71. As my Vetterli is numbers matching, I refuse to modify the original bolt from rimfire to center fire. So going to get another bolt to modify, so I can keep the original bolt intact.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update to the original post. I decided to get off my butt and start ordering parts needed to complete some of the MilSurps I have. Example bayonets, slings, cleaning rods etc.

So the beat up P1853 Enfield bayonet for my 1863 Snider-Enfield showed up today. Got a little surprise when cleaning it up. I can make out a W A with a B 54 under that. With all the looking I did I could only find one maker with those initials. R & W A
    for Richard & William Aston, and the B 54 is the inspection mark for Birmingham. Interesting thing is there is no Crown stamp on this bayonet.

Don't rifles look so much better with their pointy things attached. I have a donated sling inbound for her, so she will be 100% complete and proper.

Picture 1 is an internet shot I stole to show the complete R & W A marking for comparison to the partial one on mine, shown in picture 2.

20200928_180046.jpg
    20200928_175903.jpg
    20200928_143826.jpg
    20200928_143812.jpg

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That looks nice... Yeah you are right about the those pointy things looking nice on those guns.

I would like you to not post more things like this. You are a bit of an enabler :) I did finally pick up one of those Brazilian Police Mausers that you drove me to get...

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That looks nice... Yeah you are right about the those pointy things looking nice on those guns.

I would like you to not post more things like this. You are a bit of an enabler :) I did finally pick up one of those Brazilian Police Mausers that you drove me to get...

Always glad to help and encourage a fellow gun nut to part with their money, I mean enhance their collection. What the hell are friends for........?

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Maybe I should post my 1926-1928 Fabrique Nationale d'armes de Guerre M1924/47. The ghosting of the "Fabrique Nationale d'armes de Guerre" on the side rail shows it was one of the original 100,000 rifles purchased by Yugoslavian directly from Belgium in 1925. The original markings were scrubbed and replaced with ПРЕДУЗЕЦЕ 44 (PREDUZECE 44) during the upgrade/standardization of all the weapons in 1947. So it was/is a Belgium made versus Yugoslavian (Serbian) made M24.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am curious exactly what is an Afganistan bring back and how that works if you care to answer.

Not a problem.

A bring-back is a weapon, or other military equipment a military member brings back from a war-zone as a souvenir. Helmets are another popular bring back item, especially during/after WWII.

During the early part of our occupation of Afghanistan, a lot of people were bringing backing old weapons they purchased from local vendors/bazaars. There are/were certain guidelines the weapons had to meet for importation into the US.

Going to quote the whole article from Stars & Stripes, as the site gets funky at times, and won't allow me to post a link to it.

Whether their purchase is real or a replica, American servicemembers can ship jezails or other souvenir weapons out of Afghanistan with the proper paperwork.

Before shipping an antique or replica firearm to the United States, U.S. servicemembers must first bring the weapon to the customs office for an inspection. An antique firearm is defined as any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition, manufactured in or before 1898 or for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States, and not readily available. The customs inspector will ensure that the antique gun has a proper date stamp and that it is generally clean.

Once the weapon is cleared for shipping by a customs inspector, the servicemember must bring a completed customs form and weapon affidavit to the office of the Staff Judge Advocate for notarization.

After paperwork is filed with the customs office, the servicemember is cleared to ship the replica or antique weapon by registered mail through the post office.

Servicemembers cannot ship machine guns, defined as repeating-type of firearms; sawed-off style shotguns or shotguns with a barrel length shorter than 16 inches; rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 26 inches in overall length; or martial arts weapons.

Any knife with a blade more than 6 inches has to be cleared through customs. If the knife is stored in a decorative box, it can be sent back as is. If the knife is not being shipped back in a decorative box, it must be in a sheath prior to mailing to the U.S.

Hopefully I was able to answer your question.

Last edited:

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks. So no “modern” firearms like back in the World War era

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are these things worth anything? I got one in 2012 when I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are these things worth anything? I got one in 2012 when I was there.

Depends, I was offered $700.00 (Uncommon price) for mine from someone that wanted one very badly. A lot depends on whether it's a real one, or a Khyber Pass copy, overall condition, and if you have the paperwork still from bringing it back.

I've seen them, with the paperwork, bring as high as $500.00. Now depending on the market it could vary in either direction. What works in our advantage is there aren't anymore coming back now, or at least that's what I hear. So in a few years the price could very well go higher.

A lot of Civil War reenactors, and other military reenactors love them. As they're they're cheaper than a real CW used one, and being a real P1853 is better than using a reproduction one, even though they have to convert it back to a muzzleloader.

The guy who wanted mine, wanted it to do an Canadian impression, in honor of his ancestors service. Who carried a Snider-Enfield.

On the other hand some collectors look down on them, and look at them as nothing more than a wall hanger or a parts source.

Love to see pictures of yours......

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ll take some one day. I don’t have paperwork though haha.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ll take some one day. I don’t have paperwork though haha.

I picked mine up at the Dothan gunshow back in March 2016 for $200.00 (With no paperwork), in September 2016 (7 months later), I was offered $700.00 for it.

By the time we started opening up Air Force bases in Afghanistan I was stateside and medically grounded from deployments (P3 medical profile). Maybe that was a good thing, because I would have been sending weapons back weekly, and CINC Household wouldn't have been happy with me.........

Top Bottom