• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Prior to 1957 my grandfather bought a Sharps rifle that was carried by Levi J Bryant. I have a copy of a letter written to my grandfather from the great great nephew of Mr Bryant who sold him the rifle. According to the letter Levi Bryant was a guard at the trial and execution of Lincoln's assassins. He even had to help carry Mrs Surratt to the gallows. She owned the boarding house where the assassination was plotted.

My question is would Levi J Bryant's name be in any official records showing he was a guard and this was his rifle?

I plan on posting this on another larger forum that I am a member of but figured some here might have some insight or info. I will get my wife to type out the letter another time since she can actually type:)

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    His name probably was on Unit, Barracks and Duty Assignment rosters, but whether those records were deemed important enough to archive is doubtful. The practical value and usefulness of such records would dictate how long such records were retained. Generally only records of significance are safeguarded for posterity. Ships Logs are a different story as very detailed records were kept and retained.

If I were looking for looking for a specific but otherwise unremarkable soldier, I would start at the top and work down. Dates, location where were the prisoners kept during and after Trial. What Units were normally assigned there and what, if any additional Unit/Troops were sent in support. If you get the Unit, Dates and place you might, you may find trails to follow. Good luck with your search.

snowbound

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Two Levi J Bryants are listed on the Ancestry "Fold 3" site. The first in Co C 3rd Wisconsin. He was wounded 2 May '63 at Chancellorsville and discharged in Aug '63. He died Jan 1920 in Washington DC. The second was in Co G 15th Indiana. This regiment fought in the western theater and ended the war with Sherman. This Bryant mustered out 25 June '64. Both have National Archive pension cards/file numbers. These can be used to request more complete records . https://www.google.com/search?q=NARA&oq=NARA&aqs=chrome..69i57.4159j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Top Bottom