• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well it comes down to which deal I find and not the caliber. Since the consensuses is nearly split I figured either will work for what I want to do. Sooooooo if I find a deal I will get that one.

duckhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well I finally made up my mind and bought a Christensen arms 308 precision rifle. I hope I chose well!!

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    we have a fella that shoots a heavy barrel Christensen in .260 with use some...
    I think the rifle shoots better than he does.... but I have had my hands on it :D

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    About as flat as "practical". - - -> a 162gr A-Max coming out of a 7STW or a 7-300Wby Mag.
    You haven't lived . . . . . until . . .
    Here is one to ponder. Ol' Roy Weatherby was a pretty smart man. Does anybody ever wonder why one of his chamberings did not have anything to do with a .264" bullet. He passed it right by. --- SAWMAN

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My last rifle I bought back In Pennsylvania was a Remington 700, .308. And with 162 grain BTHPs I could hit a dime at 100 yds. all day long from a bench rest! I'm sure your rifle will be able to achieve that, of course, if you are able!! (LOL!)

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    wasn't the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum the fastest production rifle at one time. I think my 6.5WSM is right in the park with it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just taking a quick look at my "LOAD DATA" site I see,for a production gun,non wildcat,shooting production bullet - - -> a 22-250Rem / 34gr Nosler FBHP / 38.5grs of Ramshot TAC / 4545fps.
    And that is out of 24 inches of bbl. For my 28" bbl add another 160fps . . . so . . . for 4705fps possible out of my gun.
    AND - - - > they do make a 30gr in .224". Then there is the 220Swift.
    This is why I say . . . a .224" bore + huge case capacity (22-243 ??) + the new(er) 80-90gr bullets + 28 inches of bbl . . . just possibly could kick some Creedmoor ass.
    PLEASE - -> lets not argue !! --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I didn't think I was arguing

Does anybody ever wonder why one of his chamberings did not have anything to do with a .264" bullet. He passed it right by. --- SAWMAN

you made this above statement

Then I asked this question

wasn't the 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum the fastest production rifle at one time. I think my 6.5WSM is right in the park with it.

except I failed to put a question mark after the first sentence....my bad. I was suggesting it was the fastest production 6.5 at the time. It had nothing to do with the speeds of a .22-250 or a Swifty.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't think I was arguing

you made this above statement

Then I asked this question

except I failed to put a question mark after the first sentence....my bad. I was suggesting it was the fastest production 6.5 at the time. It had nothing to do with the speeds of a .22-250 or a Swifty.

Sept 2015 outdoor life
    6.5-300 Wby. Specs
    First things first. Here are the details from Weatherby on the cartridge. It will be offered with the following bullets:

• 127-grain Barnes LRX @ 3,531 fps
    • 130-grain Swift Scirocco @ 3,475 fps (approx.)
    • 140-grain Swift A-Frame @ 3,395 fps

The ammunition will sell for $95 for a box of 20 rounds.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry sir. Was not referring to you. People here rarely argue anyway. Reading back thru my post#50,now I realize how you would respond in that manner. My fault. Sorry. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It is really easy to get anything to shoot "flat". Of course it's "flatness" has everything to do about speed and ballistic coefficient (B.C.). The caliber also has a small part in this. This example would be a 50BMG bullet. Some of their B.C.'s are >1.00.
    Another big factor that decides how flat a bullet shoots is the powder capacity of the brass and how strong the brass is. A huge part of the strength has to do with the design of the web just above the flash hole.
    As a side note,the belt on a belted magnum round has nothing to do with it's pressure rating. The best example is a 450Marlin vs a 45-70. The belt is there so you wont attempt to use a 450 in a 45-70. The web is thicker on the 450 so it can be loaded to higher pressures. However,you can get the same velocities from a 45-70 using a strong action. (I did,I have.)
    But the laws of deminishing returns is applicable here. What speed do you want/need vs what recoil and degree of throat erosion ?? IMO if you will be shooting 1000yds you need the right chambering,shooting the right bullet . . . fairly fast. The fairly fast part has more to do with the "time of flight" thing than it has to do with how far your bullet will drop. The latter can be "dialed" if you have a scope with target turrets and the appropriate scope mounting
    Years ago the military did some tests using a 50BMG necked down to different bore diameters. As far as I know,nothing ever came of it.
    Neck it down to .224" and could could be shooting (almost) as flat as a 6.5Creedmoor. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: The one on the right is my varmint load.

Attachments

• DSC01047.JPG
      DSC01047.JPG
      427 KB · Views: 76
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom