• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I was wondering when a new chambering would be offered. The 357 is kinda "ho-hum". The 44Mag is interesting,especially if loaded to max with H110. The 50AE is somewhat silly. Somewhat underpowered although it does cut a big hole. It is not too bad at 25yds,where most of these guns shots are. But out further my choice would be the 44Mag 300gr Hornady XTP.
    Remember the Magnum Research offering,back in the 90's called the 440Corbon ?? It usually came in a 10" bbl and was fairly expensive. It was a 50AE necked down to hold a 44Mag (.429") bullet. I do not remember if any new guns came set up this way but you could buy the aftermarket (Magnum Research) bbl for $350'ish.
    NOW - -> comes the 429DE. It is essentially the same as the 440Corbon with a name change. (Probably has something to do with copyright infringement although CorBon has been around for quite some time.) It gives some extra powder volumn which equates to more speed and more energy. It is a semi-auto but unfortunately it is gas operated so I would not use non jacketed bullets in it.
    THEN - -> it is the 5 shots of 454Casull vs 7 shots of 429DE thing.
    The gun is big and bulky and heavy on the front end . . . ESPECIALLY scoped. It is also a reloaders chambering (as was/is the CorBon).
    I loved my 44Mag DE. It shot great,had good power up close,easy to reload for,and the recoil was highly manageable. It was an older MK1 which I still feel was the best ever produced.
    Will these sell ?? A few/some,but will quickly fade away. Especially in the bbl length offered. I would MUCH rather have and older DE with the CorBon bbl and a 50AE bolt,and stick with the older 440CorBon. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• rndz18-429de-round.jpg
      rndz18-429de-round.jpg
      131.9 KB · Views: 225

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is its mission/purpose? If just meant to say look at what I have, that is fine for some and nothing wrong with it. For a practical defense weapon against large north american mammals I would go for a 10mm glock. For hunting there is a wide choice of revolvers and single shots in heavy pistol calibers that I would look at first.
    I have no use for one and but those that do please go buy one and enjoy it.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's the problem with the vast majority of Wildcat Calibers...
    they're either HIGHLY mission specific and totally useless for everyday/everyone,
    or there is the .01% that get popular and carried by all the major brands like 10mm...
    but look how long it took for 10mm to go from 3 MFR's to Dozens now. 40 freakin years.
    The sad thing being that one of the companies that started out making 10mm popular gave it up!! S&W had WONDERFUL 10mm pistols, but for some unknown reason has failed to make their current pistol utilize it??

Look at .50AE, for example...3 MFR's made pistols for it on startout...now only ONE...
    the other two (AMT Automag V & the LAR GRIZZLY) are both out of biz.

Frankly, most wildcats are humping a tree stump...even AI's, (Ackley Improved)
    which are truly better than the originals, have limited acceptance.

So .429DE, while a party animal, is probably destined to go the same way as it's parent.
    Stuck in a Niche forever.

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You're 100% right. It looks like everything is a variation of something else. When I ran up on a 277 Wolverine I thought the same thing but I got to looking it over and decided it was the perfect hog gun for me. Simple upper change and I have a more powerful rifle that is still lightweight. Nothing else on the AR has to be changed. I hope I have some time this year to carry it up to Mississippi and try it on some Delta deer.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Even today,I would be happy with the power levels that I could load my older 44Mag chambered MK1 DE up to.
    I started out loading the 265's that were specifically designed for the 444Marlin (that is the reason for having them) then went to the 300gr XTP when they came out.
    Killed deer,bear,and even moose,with that bullet.
    Yep . . . even now,the 44Mag would be fine for me. --- SAWMAN

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Yep . . . even now,the 44Mag would be fine for me. --- SAWMAN"

No doubt about it Sawman, I started messing with the 44 Mag in the late 60's and still carry a Ruger 44 pistol when I hunt "just in case". It is a heavy thing though.

Top Bottom