• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Try'n Hard

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mainly to carry while piddlin around the woods. Hogs are thick and fun to shoot. It’s gonna get banged around, I’m buying it to carry and shoot. Narrowed my search and looking for opinions.
    Ruger SR1911 $800
    Sig Tacops $950
    Dan Wesson Razorback $1300
    I’ve got about $1400 to spend - I know the DW is the best of the 3 but the Ruger can be had with a nice holster and lots of expensive 10mm
    Opinions welcome

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you know you're gonna bang it around, ain't no way I'd put alot of money in one. But for the price and quality, I'd go with the Glock 10mm. You'd only need to decide if you want a double stack or single stack mag well.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you know you're gonna bang it around, ain't no way I'd put alot of money in one. But for the price and quality, I'd go with the Glock 10mm. You'd only need to decide if you want a double stack or single stack mag well.

Exactly a glock in 10mm. The advantage to the 1911 might be a better trigger. But over all, especially for just 'bang it around' the glock for sure. Mount an RMR on it if you want to take down hogs when you get the money and are sure you like the gun.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    EXACTLY like the above.
    For the purposes listed,a Glock 20 (like mine) would be the hands down choice. 16 shots vs 7 . . . THINK ABOUT IT !!
    I have shot multiple hogs at <10yds. A 220 pound gnarly old boar at 8 feet.
    This gun has seen plenty of "action". Some . . . unwanted/unintended. --- SAWMAN :)

Attachments

• DSC00717.JPG
      DSC00717.JPG
      610.1 KB · Views: 255

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If you're hell bent on getting a 1911 in 10mm, then check out Rock Island Armory. You can get them new under $600 if you shop around. There's several on gunbroker.com

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You're correct that the Dan Wesson is best quality in that you get a gun that's hand fitted by one man with all forged tool steel parts . Little less quality is the SA TRP as they have some MIM parts & roughly pretty close in price to the Dan Wesson . Pass on the SIG mucho MIM parts with next to nothing hand fitted . I'd also pass on the Ruger & RIA too . Got to agree with Sawman on this one . Woods carry rough use get the Glock especially when you consider price vs what you get . You can safely improve trigger with genuine factory parts & install a KKM barrel if you want better accuracy & plan to only shoot cast bullets .

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hand fitted . . . hand built by one man . . . tight fit . . .built to closer tolerances . . . all great parts . . . $1500.+ . . . etc,etc.
    What does all this really mean . . . END RESULT ???? These guns have the dependability of a Glock . . IF . . you put 200 rds through them to break 'em in.
    Glocks just work. Right out of the box. Shoot a WFNGC (hardcast) for them hogs and deer. At <50yds it will put 'em down.
    This aint rocket science but if you really want a 1911 . . - -> . . your choice. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: BTW . . you can shoot both jacketed and hardcast out of a OEM Glock barrel. Just make sure to clean throughly. I have,I do,and will continue to do so.

Last edited:

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jeez I agreed with you on the Glock , but OP asked about a 1911 . Yes you can shoot cast from a Glock OEM barrel , but with a conventionally rifled barrel either KKM or Lone Wolf you'll get better accuracy . Plus the KKM has a fully supported chamber if you're going to shoot heavier loads . Better brass life without the " guppy belly " . Currently 2 very good threads on the Cast Boolit forum in the Wheelguns , Pistols & Handcannons section on 10mm with CAST . I also agree with your choice of the LBT WFN bullets . For hunting I'd get a Glock 40 , install a KKM 7" barrel , Red Dot sight . More than one way to skin the cat . Yours aint the only valid opinion . Read the 2 threads I mentioned above as it includes the experiences of many dedicated cast bullet hunters other than yourself . Personally I would not go with a 1911 for 10mm as I don't think it'll hold up to a steady diet of stout loads . Many Colt Deltas cracked frames with the original Norma loads .

punisher338

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Here is my Colt Delta with a few mods, square firing pin retainer, Wolfe extra power recoil spring and standard guide rod with shockbuff . Never had any problem with this setup and only carry and load full house loads. Love the 10mm!
    6301AE73-4F76-461B-82D7-8A92A8B5471C.jpg

Attachments

• 6301AE73-4F76-461B-82D7-8A92A8B5471C.jpg
      6301AE73-4F76-461B-82D7-8A92A8B5471C.jpg
      407.2 KB · Views: 321

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A small radius firing pin stop is always a good idea in a 1911 with full power loads even in 45acp . Factory recoil spring for 10mm is 23lb , rather dual spring with small diameter guide rod or single spring with std size 1911 guide rod . Sometimes extra power springs can induce feeding problems ie bolt over / 3 point jams as it increases slide speed returning to battery , but I'm sure you know that . In my other post I was refering to original Norma factory loads cracking early Delta frames , all this was many years ago .

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You want a 1911, the DW is the best of you listed choices and you have the cash. Find one and buy it, be happy.

Other Posters made sound comments. I love 1911s but only like Glocks (own a bunch). That said, the task at hand drives my choice. If I planned your usage, i would take the Long Slide Glock 40 MOS and never give it a second thought. It's not about putting a spendy gun in hard use, it about utility: point and shoot, no manual safety, capacity and a history of design reliability.

Good luck on your purchase, let us know how it works out.

Try'n Hard

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The delta was on my short list but the warnings on full load ammo moved it off. The glock 40 and the xdm in 10mm with the 5.25” barrel is still under consideration. Not gonna lie and I hope I don’t hurt anybody’s feelings but dang those glocks are ugly. Lol. Go easy on me.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    AMT=junk . Yes Glock's aint gonna win a beauty contest but like an AK they work . They also soak up some of the felt recoil . Now I'm a 1911 loonie & have 12 all in 45acp . 6 are Springfields , 1 Norinco , 1 Kimber , 1 Dan Wesson , 2 Colts & 1 Custom Caspian . My carry gun is a Glock 30S also 45acp . Tru Glo sights , minus connector , polished parts & KKM barrel .

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The 1911 was designed around the 45acp a low pressure round roughly half the pressure of the 10mm . It also has a non-ramped barrel & throated doesn't fully support the case . The original 10mm ammo produced by Norma was hot stuff like the current Doubletap , Buffalo Bore & some Corbon loads . Colt was suffering QA / QC problems when the Delta was introduced & barrels were throated too deep leaving approx. .030" of case unsupported plus frames at that time were not reinforced accordingly . Frames were prone to crack around the slide stop pin holes also . Blown case would violently blow the mag , mag catch & grips off the gun . Colts answer was to increase slide mass , remachine the VIS in the frame , square bottom firing pin stop & a heavy recoil spring in attempt to retime the gun . Now days how a barrel is fit & locks up plus the previous mods work much better . Colt still will not use a ramped barrel with a fully supported chamber . Other 1911's in 10mm have done this ie Dan Wesson , Kimber & even Rock Island . Also vast majority of factory 10mm has been downloaded from the original specs . Glock learned their lesson with the 40 S&W kabooms & while their barrels aren't fully supported they're better than Colts in that regard . XD I can't comment on as I'm not familar with them . Revolver for heavy loads either the Ruger Blackhawk or S&W 610 hard to find & pricey in 10mm . The S&W 1006 & 1076 were built like tanks & can handle a steady diet of full tilt loads all day long . Also hard to find & pricey . The Tanfoglio Witness is also robust but your stuck with EAA for support / parts & they're pricey too . So for a 10mm hunting pistol the Glock is the best bargin . The G40 longslide MOS is already setup for optics also . You could get a very nice Gen 4 for probably 600 - 700 , another 150-160 for a KKM barrel & optics which ever Red dot you chose your ready for Mr. Piggy . Another advantage if you ding it up you aint gonna cry vs a beautiful 1911 . Just my take...........that & $2 will get you a cup of coffee at Wafflehouse .

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They say a pic is worth a 1000 words . Unsupported Colt factory 10mm barrel & an aftermarket supported barrel . Which one would you want with a 38,000 psi round ?

Attachments

• 10mmbarrel05.JPG
      10mmbarrel05.JPG
      32.4 KB · Views: 164
    Top Bottom