• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Hey everyone......does anyone know what happened to Jay's Guns on Garden Street in Pensacola. The building is closed up and for sale.
    Did he move somewhere else in Pensacola?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Paid "asking" first time that I bought a gun from them in C'view (OD Glock 19) in about 2003.
    Since then ALWAYS 10% off on guns and all accessories.
    Since then I have bought about 6 or 7 guns and a bunch of acessories. --- SAWMAN

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's what happens to businesses trying to make the mortgage payment and more with the sale of 1 item, they all succumb to 'out of business".
    Seems to me if a business sold for a price just a bit over cost, maybe 10%, they'd sell more items and make the mortgage plus.
    But most mom/pop stores want 110% over their cost.
    I stopped there (jays) 1 time years ago, their prices were way over priced, and they treat you (a new face) as if you were clueless of the going price
    of a gun. They had the same overpriced guns at the gunshows. So I'm not surprised they're out of business.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Are they really out of business or did they just relocate? Jay had/has a lot of stores in NW FL. I have purchased a number of guns from him in the past and have always gotten a good price. Now talk about high, Jim's on Sorrento is high.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jays was at the location for a few years. They always seemed to have a lot of diverse things but I do not ever recall buying a gun from. I did buy 5 shot used mag for a JW15 chinese .22 rifle and they overcharged me at 25 dollars, but at the moment they were the only source. As mentioned to me their prices were high. In recent years there are now a lot more guns stores in this part of FL. Very few gunstores seem last for years here. Mikes seems to be one of older stores. There are maybe about three others that I can think of. There is small place that i and my friend buy on 98 about half way to Navarre, but Miles is also running a pawn shop too. In recent years I have purchased most of my guns from Miles. If there is a gun that I want, I simply call him and give him a day or so and he will more than likely be able to find one for me at reasonable price.
    The old standby was Pennys gun and hardware closed a few years after the daughter inherited the business and ran it into the ground. Mr Penny has some real valuable gun collections. After she got control it started to look run down. I heard rumors of coke and such of which I do not know the truth of. While still alive Penny told me he did want to deal with military style semiauto rifles which is real dumb for business.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Not that I bought any if his 200 dollar marked up firearms from him lol. But he moved back to Crestview a month or so ago. Maybe now we will have fresh blood at the pcola fairgrounds gun shows now. Him having 12 tables at the show was always a turn off to me. I remember back in the late 90's going with my dad and he started out with one table and a handful guns and knives. Miss those days.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where exactly was Penny's Hardware? I went there as a kid with my dad but have no idea where it was.

It was somewhere south of where pace branches off 29. on the east side of the street. I guess at that point it is called north palafox.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just south of Borden's Dairy and almost across the street from Tony' Pizza . . . . . but that was in 1959 or 1960. --- SAWMAN

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Just south of Borden's Dairy and almost across the street from Tony' Pizza . . . . . but that was in 1959 or 1960. --- SAWMAN

And, almost just across the street from the Studebaker dealership and just down the street from the skating rink. I loved the Avanti and the Golden Hawk. But, that was in 1959 or 1960 too. LOL. The good old days. I actually bought several guns from Penny's. He would have guns that you couldn't find at Biggs Sporting Goods downtown. And, people bought their used cars from Jarrard's. :)

Last edited:

xenscott

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The combination of high pricing and arrogant counter people who act like their world was going to come apart because they actually had to open the counter to show you a gun is not a recipe for success. Good riddance.

They actually had a kel tec P32 for $399.00. And the little blonde girl who they had a while back was trying to sell it to me because it was perfect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom