• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Soooo...

Anyone have any great tips for cleaning light colored (fde, stealth gray) polymer frames without a complete disassembly? I have a "thing" about putting my guns up dirty and also I dont like to be able to look down into the pistol and see the crud. I'm referring to internal around springs and clips and such where a qtip or toothbrush won't get it.

Thought about spraying non-chlorinated brake clean in there and then coating with clp, but that doesnt sound right.

Last edited:

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I have been using brake cleaner for years without any problems. I always wipe everything down with rem-oil when down. Just be careful not to get it on finished wood.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Also wear eye protection and do it outside it has a habit of spring back in your face don't ask me how I know

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can use aerosol can of "plastic safe" Electronics Cleaner. Not all electronics cleaners are plastic safe. I haven't compared the labels or MDS to find out the difference. READ THE LABELS before you try them to ensure compatibility. Brake cleaner doesn't bother rubber seals, carb cleaner doesn't bother rubber either. All this stuff scrubs, flushes and evaporates. It will strip all oil/grease so you need to treat metal surfaces.

Use latex gloves or remove jewelry rings as these type cleaners will act on the ring and cause chemical reaction irritation/burning of skin under the ring.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There are different types of polymers. My Plum Crazy lower said to use wd40 to remove any scratches, so it's safe on that polymer, plus it'll clean too.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You can use aerosol can of "plastic safe" Electronics Cleaner. Not all electronics cleaners are plastic safe. I haven't compared the labels or MDS to find out the difference. READ THE LABELS before you try them to ensure compatibility. Brake cleaner doesn't bother rubber seals, carb cleaner doesn't bother rubber either. All this stuff scrubs, flushes and evaporates. It will strip all oil/grease so you need to treat metal surfaces.

Use latex gloves or remove jewelry rings as these type cleaners will act on the ring and cause chemical reaction irritation/burning of skin under the ring.

+1
    This is what I use on all my polymer guns. It works great and goes along way. I use just regular brake cleaner on all my AR's then give them a good shot of oil afterwards.

https://m.autozone.com/miscellaneou...er/crc-mass-air-flow-sensor-cleaner/36011_0_0

Top Bottom