Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

cleaing light colored polymer frames

Soooo...

Anyone have any great tips for cleaning light colored (fde, stealth gray) polymer frames without a complete disassembly? I have a "thing" about putting my guns up dirty and also I dont like to be able to look down into the pistol and see the crud. I'm referring to internal around springs and clips and such where a qtip or toothbrush won't get it.

Thought about spraying non-chlorinated brake clean in there and then coating with clp, but that doesnt sound right.

Last edited by ksenter; 04-11-2019 at 06:53 AM.

12 GA
    I have been using brake cleaner for years without any problems. I always wipe everything down with rem-oil when down. Just be careful not to get it on finished wood.

12 GA
    Also wear eye protection and do it outside it has a habit of spring back in your face don't ask me how I know

4. Likes bowfreak's Post:

You can use aerosol can of "plastic safe" Electronics Cleaner. Not all electronics cleaners are plastic safe. I haven't compared the labels or MDS to find out the difference. READ THE LABELS before you try them to ensure compatibility. Brake cleaner doesn't bother rubber seals, carb cleaner doesn't bother rubber either. All this stuff scrubs, flushes and evaporates. It will strip all oil/grease so you need to treat metal surfaces.

Use latex gloves or remove jewelry rings as these type cleaners will act on the ring and cause chemical reaction irritation/burning of skin under the ring.
    Wild Rider

Those that give up their guns are on a self destructive fools errand. Tyranny shall never take what it didn't provide: not by paper, not by Court and not by force.

There are different types of polymers. My Plum Crazy lower said to use wd40 to remove any scratches, so it's safe on that polymer, plus it'll clean too.
    ~Behind the Fall of every man, there stands a woman.~

Quote Originally Posted by wildrider666 View Post
    You can use aerosol can of "plastic safe" Electronics Cleaner. Not all electronics cleaners are plastic safe. I haven't compared the labels or MDS to find out the difference. READ THE LABELS before you try them to ensure compatibility. Brake cleaner doesn't bother rubber seals, carb cleaner doesn't bother rubber either. All this stuff scrubs, flushes and evaporates. It will strip all oil/grease so you need to treat metal surfaces.

Use latex gloves or remove jewelry rings as these type cleaners will act on the ring and cause chemical reaction irritation/burning of skin under the ring.
    +1
    This is what I use on all my polymer guns. It works great and goes along way. I use just regular brake cleaner on all my AR's then give them a good shot of oil afterwards.

https://m.autozone.com/miscellaneous...aner/36011_0_0

8. Likes Jpyritz's Post: