• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So I was trying around and adding a new mhs magwell to my little gsg 1911-22. It was tight going in, but not horribly so. Assembly went great, did a function test and when you reach the slide, it would look the hammer back. When you squeezed the trigger, it would fall. With trigger depressed and racking the slide, the hammer would follow the slide back down. Not good. Hammer wouldn't stay back if manually cocked, only with slide back. Moved my springs back into factory mhs and went to put it back in and low and behold, it just falls in. Doh!

Supposedly, 80% of parts are interchangable with GI 1911s, including the mainspring housing, but the one I got from thunder mountain is significantly wider (about 3/32 in) and spread my grip when installed. I know these aren't high end guns, but it's a fun project and plinker to experiment with. Before I go any further though, I need someone with more experience than I to fix what I screwed up. It's likely a bad seer spring or disconnect, but I've tinkered with it enough and at this point figure I'm doing more harm than good.

Any recommendations on who to take it to in the Pensacola/Pace area?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can you put it back the way it was before you did the mhs magwell addition?

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes, I tried that. I've taken it down and put it back with original parts and created more issues. I think I damaged my seer spring and or disconnect somehow.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When Sig was putting out the 1911-22, it was the same 1911 frame, Sig even offered just the conversion parts kit for awhile. GSG has a habit of changing designs like the Mosquito to the Firefly. So it might not be as 1911 spec as the origional.

Hand fitting parts is nothing new but 3/32 seems a bit much to me.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I kind of wonder if I was sent a 2011 or other wide frame mhs. I've watched a ton of videos on changing it out (comes with arched mhs and a lot of people put flat one in like I wanted to do). Nobody I've seen had to file the sides, sometimes they have to file the lip where the grip safety rests against but that's it.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^^^^ You might want to take a few pics, then call customer service. If they don't understand or or you get the "No, it's been fit tested." line, you can blast the pics while your talking to them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom