• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys have anybody use .223 hog hammer round to hunt hogs. If so I would like to know I have and Ar I may make my hunting rifle.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Never used them sir but I would bet that they would work great. I have shot them thru a 24" AR and they are accurate and fast.
    They are the Barnes 62gr. TSX bullet at 3100fps from a 24" bbl. Barnes makes some great bullets and I have used several of them on hogs,deer,and coyotes.
    If you choose to use this load I have plenty and will gladly sell you some. --- SAWMAN

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never used them sir but I would bet that they would work great. I have shot them thru a 24" AR and they are accurate and fast.
    They are the Barnes 62gr. TSX bullet at 3100fps from a 24" bbl. Barnes makes some great bullets and I have used several of them on hogs,deer,and coyotes.
    If you choose to use this load I have plenty and will gladly sell you some. --- SAWMAN
    Have you use them out of a 16” inch rifle that what I will be using. I’m going to be after just a meat pig.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    No sir. Never killed anything with them.
    Got a good deal on them and shot them at the club to test accuracy in my 24" 1:7 PSA upper.
    Cannot remember the exact group size but I believe that it was about 1.5MOA.
    They will be going considerably slower out of 8 inches less bbl (about 300fps slower). But even at 2800fps I would suspect that they will expand adaquately if you put it on his shoulder. The bullet WILL exit. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Here is a great example of a 7 twist being much better than a 9 twist.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok I want to try them out to. When the next time you will be over around mobile.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you use them out of a 16” inch rifle that what I will be using. I’m going to be after just a meat pig.

Unless you plan to make perfect head shots to make them DRT, please understand that tracking a hog shot with at .223/5.56 can and will be difficult at times. The blood trail if any is minimal to say the least. They will kill a hog. But the time it takes to kill them vs the distance they will run and leave you a good trail to follow can be difficult with this round. If your end goal is recovery of the animal a .30 caliber round or something like a 6.8 would be more desirable for a hog. My opinion! YMWV.

Top Bottom