• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I did a search on here for this info, but couldn't find any recent info. I'm sure things may have changed since 2013.

I am looking to get a suppressor for 22lr, but want to get the quietest one I can. I also want it to be easily to clean. Is the Sparrow SS still the best option? If not please give me suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I'm in the same boat. Looking at a couple of the silencer co ones. They have a new modular one out you can change the length.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the silencerco osprey micro 22. at the time I purchased it it was the quietest, it to can be reduced in length and is vey easy to take apart to clean. Only draw back is that you have to purchase an adapter kit for each firearm you will be using it with. So far I am very pleased with it. IMG_1255.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1255.JPG
      IMG_1255.JPG
      566 KB · Views: 531

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have the sparrow SS... It's plenty quiet particularly with CCI standard velocity. I don't have much to compare it to though. Everyone says their can is the "greatest" but I think most of them are in the same ballpark.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have the Gen 1 Sparrow. A friend has the Gen II SS one. Side by side with same ammo and our mature ears, His SS version appears to be slightly quieter. Not enough difference that I've felt like getting mine upgraded to the new SS clamshell halves and SS baffles for $250. With the SS core, he can be more aggressive in cleaning compared to my aluminum parts. I would have no hesitation in buying or recommending the Sparrow, now that I've had years of experience with them.

PS The only problem I've run into was with my Browning T-bolt. The T-bolt comes with a longer threaded part than is normal for a .22. Solution: I had to buy a spacer to take up the extra thread length so the Sparrow fit properly.

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Is this your first suppressor?
    I ask because the answers to your query can range from generic to very detailed.

22LR suppressors are mostly made to be "serviceable". (do Not bother with a sealed one) Serviceable means you can open it, but easy to clean is a combination of material and design. Stainless steel is easier to clean than aluminum. The Sparrow and the Spectre II will get you access to the baffles regardless of how much you shot, while other designs (naked baffles and monocores) might get lead-locked to the tube much easier. Many manufacturers have a similar click-together baffle design now.

As for "quietest", SiCo's website has the Sparrow slightly quieter than the Spectre II, but the Spectre has a better first round pop. To me, FRP is important when talking about a 22 can that will go on a bolt gun. Your usage may not matter.

Full auto ratings aren't just for the folks with machine guns. You wanna do a few mag dumps? You wanna "plink" for long sessions? That full-auto rating is an indicator of how much punishment the suppressor can easily take.

Quietest might be a large volume suppressor that won't function well on a non-fixed-barrel pistol. Also, the tone may sound better to your ears than someone else.
    Easy to clean might be heavier due to the stainless steel, or more expensive due to the titanium.

They're trade-offs depending on your intended use. Narrow down to a top three, then see if you can meet up at a range and try out someone else's rig. The Spectre II gets my vote. I'm sure others will chime in their experiences.

We really should organize a "Silencer Shoot" one of these days. Would be fun, and folks could get hands on time, like you probably need.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes it is. Thanks for your info.

Welcome to the addiction, then... :)

If you have a specific suppressor host in mind, that might steer/narrow some of your options.
    - Fixed barrel rifle (and pistols) don't care about the minor weight difference between stainless steel, titanium, or aluminum. Non-fixed barrel pistols might?
    - AR-15 upper will "look" better with a bigger diameter suppressor (Little Jack's may still have a Gemtech that would fit that purpose). Tone and decibels should be quieter than a 1" diameter can, but it might look weird on a pistol. ? Or not. Depends on your preference.

Really, though, a modern 22LR can should make you smile, especially if you've never shot one before.
    I recommend a threaded barrel bolt gun. You will enjoy it. :)

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a dead air mask HD in jail along with my Sandman S. I bought it to go on my daughters M&P 15-22.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I'd give up some sound suppression for a model that's going to be more durable. I don't even want to consider an aluminum can. Process is too long and I don't want to do it again. Hopefully when I purchase it's for life

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'd give up some sound suppression for a model that's going to be more durable. I don't even want to consider an aluminum can. Process is too long and I don't want to do it again. Hopefully when I purchase it's for life
    ^^^^this

Buy once, cry once.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I read somewhere a housing got messed up. It was the serialized part. Had to do another 200 dollar tax stamps for it even though it was covered by the manufacturer. Makes me Leary to buy anything if it ever fails or have a defect you're screwed.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Welcome to the addiction, then... :)

If you have a specific suppressor host in mind, that might steer/narrow some of your options.
    - Fixed barrel rifle (and pistols) don't care about the minor weight difference between stainless steel, titanium, or aluminum. Non-fixed barrel pistols might?
    - AR-15 upper will "look" better with a bigger diameter suppressor (Little Jack's may still have a Gemtech that would fit that purpose). Tone and decibels should be quieter than a 1" diameter can, but it might look weird on a pistol. ? Or not. Depends on your preference.

Really, though, a modern 22LR can should make you smile, especially if you've never shot one before.
    I recommend a threaded barrel bolt gun. You will enjoy it. :)
    It will mostly be on my Ruger Mk IV, but will occasionally get put on the Ruger 10/22.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I read somewhere a housing got messed up. It was the serialized part. Had to do another 200 dollar tax stamps for it even though it was covered by the manufacturer. Makes me Leary to buy anything if it ever fails or have a defect you're screwed.

Some suppressor designs have the serial number on a semi-permanent piece near the muzzle attachment point for that reason. A catastrophic baffle strike sent back to the manufacturer for repair can retain the serial-numbered part, so no new paperwork. I'm not familiar with a 22LR can with that feature, though. Others might. It's been awhile since I've scoured the latest/greatest...

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It will mostly be on my Ruger Mk IV, but will occasionally get put on the Ruger 10/22.

I would suggest a suppressor with a diameter the same (or very close to) your Mark IV barrel. It will look better, and it will give you options for a holster that you can use with the suppressor already attached.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I live in Milton; you live in Milton. Bring your threaded pistol and rifle to my place or I come to your place. We put my Sparrow on your guns and you test fire and see how you like it. Mine is Gen I, so if you buy a new Sparrow, it might be a touch quieter if shot side by side. If not shot side by side, you will probably notice no difference (ammo makes the most noticeable difference in sound). I'll bring a threaded bolt action .22 so you can hear the difference between bolt action and semi-auto rifles. Shoot standard velocity, shoot subsonic, shoot high velocity...all will give different sound levels. I'll bring an intragle suppressed .22 rifle so you can experience the ultimate in quiet.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I live in Milton; you live in Milton. Bring your threaded pistol and rifle to my place or I come to your place. We put my Sparrow on your guns and you test fire and see how you like it. Mine is Gen I, so if you buy a new Sparrow, it might be a touch quieter if shot side by side. If not shot side by side, you will probably notice no difference (ammo makes the most noticeable difference in sound). I'll bring a threaded bolt action .22 so you can hear the difference between bolt action and semi-auto rifles. Shoot standard velocity, shoot subsonic, shoot high velocity...all will give different sound levels. I'll bring an intragle suppressed .22 rifle so you can experience the ultimate in quiet.
    Thanks for the offer. I have shot the Sparrow and the Spectra ii. I like them both, but to me it seemed the Spectra ii was quieter. It could just be a tone thing.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a Spectre ii coming. Once it gets here locally I will submit paperwork and wait forever.
    Since it is going to take so long to actually own it, I am already wanting to start looking for something that will suppress 45acp and 9mm.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would go ahead and get multiple sets of fingerprints and passport photos for future purchases.

I try to buy an NFA item every 4-6 months if finances allows... that way you always have something to look forward to

Top Bottom