• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Put 100 rounds through it this morning over at ERGC. It's accurate, I was hitting the plates on Range 5 pretty regular along with my paper plate targets… lol (new glasses may have something to do with that...) Internet says its a "snappy" gun for its size. I found it pleasure to shoot and handle. Not a single FTF in the first 100 rounds. Now the only question concern is in the attached picture it looks as if the firing pin seems to be dragging across the primer during the ejection process. Is this a problem that will work itself out with a little more use? None of my other guns do that? No other odd marks on the casings... what are your thoughts? (Ammo was Blazer Brass 124 GR FMJ)
    Thanks,
    Jim

Attachments

• 0402191012b.jpg
      0402191012b.jpg
      344.6 KB · Views: 271
    • 0401191510.jpg
      0401191510.jpg
      481.6 KB · Views: 272
    Last edited:

MrFish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've seen folks still complaining about it on the new ones too. And then debating for 20 pages if a Glock does it too and what damage it does long term.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Non issue, just spoke to SIG and that's normal for this gun. I guess I could have saved a post. SIG went on to tell me about the cycle rate, and all that. so no problem... IMO the gun is a good one, accurate (for me anyways) easy to shoot and easy to handle. I like it a lot and will be shooting it a lot....

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I finally got around to shooting mine the other day, and I love it. My shell casing look like that also. My only question is the ejection angle. I may have just been shooting crappy ammo, but the casings came back towards me. One of them actually hit me in the forehead.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sig says "Its normal." They also didn't Recall the drop/BANG P320 but did offer a "free upgrade" to fix it. Its primarily called "primer swipe". Take a fired case and see how much force it takes to make a similar gash. There's a lot of resistance holding (stuck) the firing in the protruding position. The defect is not normal, IMHO. The defect was common on fixed early production guns but still occures in a lot of later production guns It might accelerated firing pin wear or breakage. It may "break in" and reduce the resistance. The gash is in a lateral direction so force is pushing the casing across the extended firing pin which just binds the pin tighter against the channel it rides in.

If you dry fire and slowly pull the slide back (without cocking), is the firing pin extended? If yes, is it easy or hard to push it flush?

A. If it depresses easily, I wouldn't worry about it because the lateral case movement is only temporarily binding it. You still have the potential wear or breakage issues.

B. If its stuck or hard to depress and we know it can gash the primer; it may be capable of Slam Fire from a partial retracted slide position. I would test for this.

It's not proper to drop a cartridge into a pistol chamber then have the extractor jump the rim when the slide goes in battery. However, sometimes when clearing malfunctions, that happens, as well as short stroking slides. So what happens when the striker assy isn't cocked (slide partially racked), the "stuck" firing pin protrudes and slide goes into battery on a live round?

I'd find out how far the Slide can be pulled back before the Striker assy cocks and mark a tape line (alignment reference) on slide/frame. Then I'd dry fire it, pull the Slide back without cocking, drop a "primed only" case directly into the Chamber: let the Slide go and see if it Slam fires.

Runned Over

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would be concerned with that also Jim. Lateral force on the firing pin would seem to lead to firing pin failure at some point. I wonder if different ammo would reduce that....

I'm interested in the 365 also, but from reports, and your findings, I'm not confident in purchasing one. Pretty sure all manufacturers will tell you something is fine until it fails, then they fix it for free, or for a small price...

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I will check that when I get home. Can you believe that Sig actually has a 15 round mag for this gun now.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have somewhere around 400 rounds through it,no issues, jams or misfires yet... getting pretty good with it too... I like it.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sig says "Its normal." They also didn't Recall the drop/BANG P320 but did offer a "free upgrade" to fix it. Its primarily called "primer swipe". Take a fired case and see how much force it takes to make a similar gash. There's a lot of resistance holding (stuck) the firing in the protruding position. The defect is not normal, IMHO. The defect was common on fixed early production guns but still occures in a lot of later production guns It might accelerated firing pin wear or breakage. It may "break in" and reduce the resistance. The gash is in a lateral direction so force is pushing the casing across the extended firing pin which just binds the pin tighter against the channel it rides in.

If you dry fire and slowly pull the slide back (without cocking), is the firing pin extended? If yes, is it easy or hard to push it flush?

A. If it depresses easily, I wouldn't worry about it because the lateral case movement is only temporarily binding it. You still have the potential wear or breakage issues.

B. If its stuck or hard to depress and we know it can gash the primer; it may be capable of Slam Fire from a partial retracted slide position. I would test for this.

It's not proper to drop a cartridge into a pistol chamber then have the extractor jump the rim when the slide goes in battery. However, sometimes when clearing malfunctions, that happens, as well as short stroking slides. So what happens when the striker assy isn't cocked (slide partially racked), the "stuck" firing pin protrudes and slide goes into battery on a live round?

I'd find out how far the Slide can be pulled back before the Striker assy cocks and mark a tape line (alignment reference) on slide/frame. Then I'd dry fire it, pull the Slide back without cocking, drop a "primed only" case directly into the Chamber: let the Slide go and see if it Slam fires.

I dry fired and pulled it back just enough to see in there, and the firing pin does not protrude any.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So yours doesn't have the weird primer strike?

I'm pretty sure they all do that. But since the striker was redesigned, I don't believe I've heard of any of the new design striker tips breaking off, like with the original design.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dry fired and pulled it back just enough to see in there, and the firing pin does not protrude any.

That's good. Next time you go to the Range: use a sharpie and mark a line from primer to edge of rim. Index cartridge directly into chambe with Line vertical. Close/lock in battery and fire. Retrieve case and inspect.

If Swipe shows alignment with Line: it is from firing pin remaining forward during barrel unlocking (rear drops down). Further, it creates misalignment/gap that ends the "swipe contact".

The only issue then is potential wear and stress: primer against firing pin tip and firing pin against the bottom 180° of the bolt face firing pin hole. The cumulative results of wear can be monitored and it would be my least concern. A stress induced failure is unpredictable and may never occur but the proof of vectored force against resistence is clear. Wear can reduce stress tolerance.

Sig can say its normal and individuals can say it's acceptable. I'm just interpeting what I think is going on IMHO.

Top Bottom