Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Johns filter gots big mesh. That’s not really a joke so don’t ban me

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I have a huge problem with people listing things for higher than they go for. People that are selling an item know what they go for. I can't do this to people
    If you look on ebay, there are people that sell tons of harbor freight tools at significant amount over what harbor freight sells them for retail. And you know these people use super coupons and 20% off coupons and get free items that they also sell for more than retail. I can't do that to people.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The way I read 9 and 10 seems to indicate there's not a problem starting a new thread. You could post a link in a new thread in the "deals" or other appropriate section.

So, hypothetically, instead of posting directly in the sale thread a link to the normal-priced ammo on another website, you start a thread in the "deals" section with a link to that offsite normal-priced ammo. Sure, no problem.

But if you go into that sale thread and post a link to your "deals" thread, or even mention that there's a similar thread in the "deals" section, THAT post (in someone else's sale thread) is what probably crosses the line.

In my opinion.

I'm ok with people posting outrageous prices. It shows us all real quick what kind of person they are, and I appreciate the self-identification they provide. Kinda like the enemy wearing a uniform.

If folks are genuinely concerned about a new forum member getting "suckered", I'd advise them to ask the appropriate pointed questions, in the thread. Asking for factual info is not prohibited. It would help the casual shopper to look twice.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    You have a good point snake eyes.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So, hypothetically, instead of posting directly in the sale thread a link to the normal-priced ammo on another website, you start a thread in the "deals" section with a link to that offsite normal-priced ammo. Sure, no problem.

But if you go into that sale thread and post a link to your "deals" thread, or even mention that there's a similar thread in the "deals" section, THAT post (in someone else's sale thread) is what probably crosses the line.

In my opinion.

I'm ok with people posting outrageous prices. It shows us all real quick what kind of person they are, and I appreciate the self-identification they provide. Kinda like the enemy wearing a uniform.

If folks are genuinely concerned about a new forum member getting "suckered", I'd advise them to ask the appropriate pointed questions, in the thread. Asking for factual info is not prohibited. It would help the casual shopper to look twice.

Us "old guys" know better, what I worry about is they young guys getting into our sport who don't know any better yet.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Who you callin' "old"?

I just started shooting last month. Rubber band gun. Fully semi-automatic with a shoulder thing that goes up.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just started shooting last month. Rubber band gun. Fully semi-automatic with a shoulder thing that goes up.

No way! Me too! Did yours come with the hand crank and pew pew pew sound device option too?
    I had to pay extra for that but man is it ever worth it to watch those squirrels losing their mind trying to figure out which way to go.

Free Cigars

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it's ironic that people can be banned for calling out someone trying to rip people off. During Hurricanes companies can be charged with a crime for price gouging and here we have a rule defending it, very ironic!

So this was all over me posting the wrong price; 400 verses 500. I didn't even know I did it until John B. chimed in with his redirect link he posted to my ad to a sale of ammo online somewhere else. I was going to change it but 5 people texted me while this was going on and I sold the ammo for 355. This all could have been resolved with a PM instead of hijacking my ad publicly. No hard feelings. I sold the ammo to the person who texted me and asked if I had posted the wrong price. It wasn't a ripoff it was an honest mistake and should have been handled with a private message. But instead John B. broke a rule by redirecting potential customers to buy elsewhere. And I think the ban came from John B. deciding to post in another one of my ads afterward too; you kind of started stalking my ads. That and his friends started chiming in and piling on publicly and accusing me of ripping people off.

To John B., there are no hard feelings on my part. I don't want to respond to anymore comments about this. I was upset (and correct) that my ad got hijacked. I appreciate the admin getting involved and I fully expect to get banned if I break any of the rules; no one here is above the rules. But, water under the bridge. John B., happy to meet up and buy you a beer and we can laugh about all of this.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Free market, capitalism and all that...

All I'm saying is, overcome your morals and resist saying anything otherwise you'll get the ban screen of death...
    e80e8d4eae67d89ac7c9c3030a731f35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welcome back John! :hug: I didn't look but I bet your first post was at 02:56! Remember in the movie "Top Gun" when Viper told Maverick "the rules of engagement are not flexible nor am I" or something like that anyway. You found out the hard way that it's true everywhere. Every thing we do is based on rules, some good and some not so good. A guy at work got a DUI in a govt vehicle at 04:15, he told the Colonel (during a meeting I'd like to have been a fly on the wall) that it probably was a good warning to everybody else not to do such. He got 60 days LWOP. We all learned from that. So look on the bright side, you showed us to be more better at the rules than maybe we have been.

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I got banned fro Georgia Outdoor Network when another member asked about the content of a game cam pic.... I responded it was a chupacabra and was banned for a week or so. Rules stated there was no joking!!! REALLY??? When I came back, I let the idiots have it and never went back...

I've had issues with a few folks on here including mods, but no worries!!! I ain't been banned yet.... YET!!!

no joking???????????

what are they? uptight pinhead liberals?

my sarcastic streak would implode.....

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    what are they? uptight pinhead liberals?

not all of them are:nono:

never seen the no joking rule there myself...you must know I carry sarcasm in a shaker and sprinkle it on a lot of things

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    not all of them are:nono:

never seen the no joking rule there myself...you must know I carry sarcasm in a shaker and sprinkle it on a lot of things

yes, and with humor injected also, and smeared with organic irony...
    occasionally mixed with insults

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I would think that any modern day online for sale section would have a UPC field that would be filled in so it could instant price check the listing... like all the deal sites have.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW: I don't recall seeing the thread/comments that caused the Ban Hammer to drop. Comments above provide a peek at it.

I raised kids, coached kids sport teams, served as committee Chairman, presided over Holidays with mixed and mixed up relatives and a few other Jobs that required moderator skills. Mods here a job to do and really few hard rules in the grand scale of free speech. I wouldn't be a Mod here or anywhere else but they have an important function and overall keep the peace and the Forum out of trouble. I've gotten a pre-ban knock it off warning for loudly calling out the seller of a counterfeit optic. Obviously the ban hammer can come without warning but we know when we're close or over the Line. We do our penance, return to the flock, work on our tactful English skills and avoid the same minefield.

I too have had had concerns on prices and pricing but they weren't for my sake but for those Members with less "exposure to info". My Wife frequently keeps me from getting wrapped around the axle saying "Its not you Monkey, not your Circus." Logical restraint does not sound as good. Due diligence and buyer beware already applies to buyer/seller transactions. So yeah, the Rules sometimes cause us to bite our tongues or close our keyboards. Good buy or higher price buy, we learn from it sooner or later. As much as it's in our nature to "protect others" (in many ways), hard knocks is a lesson too.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I banned you John and I really don't like doing that stuff.
    Sawman, will all threads be treated equal? Yes, we're only human so if we miss one report it or send a PM and it will be dealt with. The mods don't want to ban anyone, but the forum has rules in place and we've been entrusted with enforcing the forum rules.

To everyone, the reason for the seemingly increase in bans for interfering with a sale is because it's happening more and more. Maybe try this approach that I've used a few times when things are blatantly mis-priced high or low. PM the person be polite and point out what you think. I do find it ironic that many of the same people who complain about someone trying to make an extra $50-100 on something don't say anything when someone has priced something obviously too low by $50-100 or more dollars. Just some food for thought as you ask about all threads being treated equal by the mods; are you doing the same thing?

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No worries. I like this forum a lot... being a mod is a thankless job. I know how it is. I for one appreciate y'all doing it. ...now if someone would just buy Sawman's ruger red label chokes, that would be great!

Carry on, GCGFers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn’t last 5 minutes on a forum that didn’t allow joking or sarcasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom