• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Me and Bruce has been lobbying a rather large land owner to allow us to hunt hogs and coyotes at night,using thermal.
    Bruce told me that he was very "iffy" on targeting coyotes at night because they "could" be a red wolf.
    How he knows or suspects this is unknown. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    66 Canadian immigrant wolves were released in Idaho 95/96 and Protected. 11 Years later there were 1500 wolves documented. They decimated deer, elk, grouse, turkey populations and killed hundreds of domestic livestock animals on the range and on ranches. It also drove coyotes into more urban areas. There's good reasons why they were killed off last time. Traffic on the bridges is the only thing keeping the Reds in check on GI.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me and Bruce has been lobbying a rather large land owner to allow us to hunt hogs and coyotes at night,using thermal.
    Bruce told me that he was very "iffy" on targeting coyotes at night because they "could" be a red wolf.
    How he knows or suspects this is unknown. --- SAWMAN
    Very often biologists and the state wildlife personnel do not know everything. Often some species is stated to be extinct and then they turn up alive and well. The problem with the remaining red wolf populations is that they hybridized with coyotes and also like with coydogs and coywolves that have canadian eastern grey wolf in them. There could pockets of them still in large forested swamp tracks. Whether it is wrong to shoot them is an issue that I am not sure about. If I know that they are red wolves of course I would let them go if they had not been causing me some problems. But when I see what looks like a coyote that is threat to my homestead, it dies.

big coyote.jpg

After three days of hard hunting The Mosquito Creek coyote tournament ended with this dog that weighed in at just over 49 pounds. They coyote was big enough to earn Denny McArdle a first place finish in a field of more than 3,000 hunters.

My Coyote control team

DSCF1738.jpg

Attachments

• big coyote.jpg
      big coyote.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 159
    • DSCF1738.jpg
      DSCF1738.jpg
      886.9 KB · Views: 167

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    49lbs . . . Not bad but not great either. Especially for 3,000 hunters.
    Wondering what part of the country this was. ---- SAWMAN

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    would be interesting to know how many wolves were killed by 3K hunters during the hunt. 49 pounds is smaller than my house mutt.... if that's the largest one killed, must not be much of a problem in that area, I wouldn't think?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I could tell you what the Maine Guide's Association threatened to do when the state started talking about introducing the gray wolf into that state.
    I could also tell you what the Montana,Idaho,and North Dakota guides and hunters actually did,when wolves were introduced to those territories.
    I got involved in the wolf controversy in Maine. Believe me,there are more pro wolf introduction/reintroduction people(I mean . . . die hards) than most are aware of. A lot more. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In Maine I killed some yotes that were >55lbs. A warden told me that he either killed,or tagged a coyote that was 65lbs.
    A state biologist told me that for an animal to get that big,it would have to have at least some wolf in him.
    I killed two wolves about 80 miles north of where I lived. In Quebec. --- SAWMAN

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I saw this a number of years ago, I found this really interesting. Kind of like the folks that think the only good Shark is a dead Shark. even though we may think we as humans are running the show, the fact is were just along for the ride like everything else.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    would be interesting to know how many wolves were killed by 3K hunters during the hunt. 49 pounds is smaller than my house mutt.... if that's the largest one killed, must not be much of a problem in that area, I wouldn't think?
    30 lb coyote can give a 70 lbs hound a good fight. A 50 lb coyote can whip most 80 lbs dogs. Coyotes are normally hunted by packs of dogs on a single coyote. But thing is coyotes attack single dogs in groups. Even a pack of dogs can be set upon by a larger pack of coyotes and be killed. The teeth on coyotes are bigger than a dog of equivalent weight and they kill for a living. Most dogs do not.
    Here is a story that happened to someone in our white english dog group in North Carolina. AH has several bulldogs including a white english male. The WE male and a neighbors Alapaha Blue blood bulldog (AAAB) with 5 other local dogs one night tangled with coyotes from the adjacent national forest. Only the WE and ABBB came back badly cut up and taking a few weeks to recover and the other 5 dogs were never seen again. The WE took 2 days to make it back home without his collar that was found a mile or so away. The bite wounds indicated they were from smaller canine animals being consistent with standard coyotes.
    I like to have at least two fighting dogs out at night to deal with potential coyotes and what ever else comes out my creek. Thing is normally the coyotes will not attack if the odds are not on their side. Two or three ferocious dogs are normally a deterrent. One WE or APBT (Pitbull) can kill a normal size coyote and drive off a larger 50 pounder.
    Some of the coywolves are above the 50 lb size.
    This forested area shows the creek that I live next to that has all sorts animals hiding in it during day light hours that come out at night. With all of the proposed building it is likely that it in the future it will not serve as the wildlife corridor that it is now.
    Barnettmill creek.JPG

Attachments

• Barnettmill creek.JPG
      Barnettmill creek.JPG
      277 KB · Views: 134

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    no doubt, I see a yote from time to time here and its pretty developed, Cantonment area. The yotes seem to pass through, I see them once on the trail cams, then don't see them again. mostly in the winter and early spring, young ones looking for their own territory. Not sure if you understood my comment on the size I mentioned. with a single 49 lb wolf, being killed, (at least that being the largest) I would like to think there would be a few other older, larger "Alpha's" in the area that was being hunted..... maybe 50 pounds is a large wolf for that area. I remember 100 plus pounders from Alaska, that took down the caribou and moose in and around Fairbanks... simply awesome creatures.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    no doubt, I see a yote from time to time here and its pretty developed, Cantonment area. The yotes seem to pass through, I see them once on the trail cams, then don't see them again. mostly in the winter and early spring, young ones looking for their own territory. Not sure if you understood my comment on the size I mentioned. with a single 49 lb wolf, being killed, (at least that being the largest) I would like to think there would be a few other older, larger "Alpha's" in the area that was being hunted..... maybe 50 pounds is a large wolf for that area. I remember 100 plus pounders from Alaska, that took down the caribou and moose in and around Fairbanks... simply awesome creatures.

We are not talking wolves, but of coyote hybrids. Coyotes in eastern canada are known to have crossed with canandian wolves resulting in larger animals. These animals crossed the border into the USA some time ago and have been working their way down the eastern seaboard. This is a coywolf. likely on the way they crossed with any red wolves that were still out there as they cross the carolinas going south. There are also coydogs that are dog-coyote crosses that are often larger. Some of these do reach 50 lbs. Northern wolves are often over 100lbs. Not the same as coyotes. Also coyotes may be evolving larger sizes since they are occupying the former range of the red wolf and evolving perhaps to be a top predator. Larger animals do better at taking deer and younger hogs.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Video on coyote hunting with dogs. Dog are crossbred greyhounds mostly. essentially these function as small wolf hounds and are mainly sight hunters. Some of hunts also use tracking dogs to lead the hunt to where the coyotes are. These coyotes likely have no wolf in them, but some do have dog genes.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    wolf attacks in the USA
    Noted naturalists documented wolf attacks on humans. John James Audubon, of whom the Audubon Society is named, reported an attack involving 2 Negroes. He records that the men were traveling through a part of Kentucky near the Ohio border in winter. Due to the wild animals in the area the men carried axes on their shoulders as a precaution. While traveling through a heavily forested area, they were attacked by a pack of wolves. Using their axes, they attempted to fight off the wolves. Both men were knocked to the ground and severely wounded. One man was killed. The other dropped his axe and escaped up a tree. There he spent the night. The next morning the man climbed down from the tree. The bones of his friend lay scattered on the snow. Three wolves lay dead. He gathered up the axes and returned home with the news of the event. This incident occurred about 1830. (Audubon, J.J., and Bachman, J.; The Quadrupeds of North America, 3 volumes. New York, 1851 -1854)
    more details here
    http://www.gccga.com/assets/wolf-attacks-on-humans-11pgs.pdf

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Here in NW Fla a 40lb coyote is pretty rare. I really do not understand why. They have plenty to eat and their target animals are available all year long.
    As you go farther north they seem to get bigger. Most likely different genetics.
    The coyotes that I have hunted in upstate NY as well as western NH are as large as the ones in Maine. --- SAWMAN

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here in NW Fla a 40lb coyote is pretty rare. I really do not understand why. They have plenty to eat and their target animals are available all year long.
    As you go farther north they seem to get bigger. Most likely different genetics.
    The coyotes that I have hunted in upstate NY as well as western NH are as large as the ones in Maine. --- SAWMAN

Heat maybe, everything is smaller in the south, from bears to deer, to jus about everything. smaller body, less to cool off in the heat.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About maybe 7 years ago I saw a huge dead coyote on us 90 on the side opposite of the east UWF entrance road. It was very long and lean being grey in color. Even being thin, I could see that coyotes being 40lbs. I used to have a lot of foxes in my creek and once coyotes were sighted the foxes have become very rare. But there were also bob cat sightings and they kill foxes too.

Like realtor said they may be passing through not finding conditions to their liking. Some years ago over a two night period they raided two young pear trees that were just starting to put out some nice pears. I could hear them, but at 2 AM in total darkness I was not going outside to mess with them. I found little piles of canine diarrhea poop by the creek. I guess they were hungry. After that I had foxes back for a while and now no more. I have not seen any coyotes, but due to the absence of foxes they likely do pass by on occasion.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    speaking of them passing through, here goes one, not sure when (within the past 2 weeks, checked the cams this morning) the dates on these cameras are all wrong.... may be sick and looking for a place to die, or losing its winter coat. I did see a mangy one a while back...

Attachments

• STC_2839.JPG
      STC_2839.JPG
      116.6 KB · Views: 104

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    speaking of them passing through, here goes one, not sure when (within the past 2 weeks, checked the cams this morning) the dates on these cameras are all wrong.... may be sick and looking for a place to die, or losing its winter coat. I did see a mangy one a while back...

It could the angle or something else, but that coyote does not appear to be ill fed. I am looking at the legs and neck of it and the body looks well filled out also.

I really need to set up some game cameras

Top Bottom