• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bpreston

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This is a pretty good video on it. Personally I wouldn’t try to change my brain before just bringing the gun over to my dominant eye.

Also, I’ve seen videos where the whole slapping the trigger thing is debunked. If you have a proper grip you can literally slam a breaker bar into the trigger and not effect shot placement too much. If it was me I would work on grip as well.

Oh and also red dots mounted to a pistol will do a great job of showing you just how much the gun moves while you’re pulling the trigger. Just in case you needed an excuse to buy a red dot!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DV_WTsF_7kM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would tend to agree with Sawman in this case, that it's likely a grip or trigger pull issue.

All my life, I was right-handed and right-eye dominant.
    After a serious vision issue back in 2011, I've had to switch to using my left eye when shooting handguns.
    Using your left eye really shouldn't be an issue with a bit of practice. In my experience, I'm still just as bad with my left eye as I was with my right eye!:madgrin:

Chuck32571

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Low left grouping

I am a right handed shooter and no matter if it is my 9mm or my 45 I consistantly shoot low left. I know why this is happening. Gripping the gun when the trigger is pulled and brain over compensating. My question is how do I train myself to stop?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No matter what eye is dominant it will over power the nondominant eye and the sight picture will be correct. Low left is strictly jerking the trigger. Try giving it a smooth non hurried push back until the gun discharges. Dry firing is a great training tool. If all else fails zero your gun in high right and see if it compensates for a jerked trigger.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    No matter what eye is dominant it will over power the nondominant eye and the sight picture will be correct. Low left is strictly jerking the trigger. Try giving it a smooth non hurried push back until the gun discharges. Dry firing is a great training tool. If all else fails zero your gun in high right and see if it compensates for a jerked trigger.
    I am going to work on my trigger pull, and hand clenching.

Clays

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am going to work on my trigger pull, and hand clenching.

I've had the same issue, and thought it was eye dominance, but I'm pretty sure it's trigger pull. I've been working on it the past few months.

This has helped alot:
    https://guerrillaapproach.com/product/consistency-target-free/

This and the carbine target are great practice. Just print out a few copies every time before you go to the range.

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I suspect problem is trigger finger position related...easy to push gun to left while squeezing trigger if the joint of your finger is center of trigger...try moving finger out a bit so pad of finger is pulling trigger straight back.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Did the same thing when I first got my Glock. Thought it was the gun, then, my sister, who is Federal Law Enforcement went to the range with me and shot the gun perfect. Sooo, it's me, not the gun. With my confidence in the Glock restored, I just did a lot of practice. The chart that SAWMAN posted is excellent for helping to isolate problems with shooting a handgun. I would suggest buying 500/1000 rounds of Winchester White Box or Blazer Brass ammo, go to the range and practice, practice, practice. You'll get there, and have fun doing it.

Top Bottom