• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a form 1 SBR and was just curious rather than buy a new lower and build it into a pistol and just swap the upper between the two can I just replace my stock with a stabilizer and now have a pistol. Reasoning is I work in Pensacola and of course traveling across state lines with an SBR requires paperwork. I don’t mind putting together a pistol lower but if I can say some dough I’d be all for it.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If a serial-numbered gun is "born" a rifle, it can't become a pistol.

If that lower had been "made" as a pistol first, then it could be a rifle, and go back to a pistol in the future, but since you went through the trouble of declaring that exact lower a short-barreled RIFLE (my emphasis), then it's now officially a rifle. It gets to wear a short barrel like a pistol, and a stock like a rifle, but your problem is the interstate movement of the SBR...

Fortunately, I thought the form you file with the BATFE concerning the interstate movement can be quite broad. List those free states necessary, for the next 12-months, for lawful and sporting purposes. Or something to that effect. Then no big deal.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah that’s why the question since it’s now registered as a rifle but started life as a stripped lower. I knew the born rifle bit. From the form I’ve filled out before it requires and address which I used for land I have in Molino. Just wasn’t thrilled about putting my works address down. Pistol lower build it is then.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Huh. I didn't realize you had to be so specific with an address.

Even so, can't you put the nearest Wal-Mart, and make the timeframe for the next 12-months?
    There's no way that form is expected to encompass all possible travel routes, detours, stops, etc.

Just a thought.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah the form calls for address as well. 312C4B70-87BB-4EF8-AEE4-0F099CFA642D.jpg

Attachments

• 312C4B70-87BB-4EF8-AEE4-0F099CFA642D.jpg
      312C4B70-87BB-4EF8-AEE4-0F099CFA642D.jpg
      166.6 KB · Views: 225

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I just read up some more on the 5320.20 and this is exactly what I would do in your shoes:

Block 3: 04/01/2019 and 03/31/2020
    Block 5: ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES
    Block 7: Find a nearby 24/7 Wal-Mart (there are still a few stragglers that close the doors for a few hours), use that address.

"All lawful purposes" is correct, broad enough, and doesn't require you to fit some "social norm of reasons".
    Interstate ammo run at 2am? 'Merica.

Don't limit yourself.

Top Bottom