• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ok.. so I am toying with the idea of a compact HD/all around setup and was going to put together an 11.5-12.5 AR pistol in 5.56 (I already have ammo).. then I find a 6.5 Grendel upper to the same price with a 12" barrel.. grrrr
    What say you fellow enthusiasts.. and yes I know 5.56 is less than Ideal on deer sized targets but with the right ammo, and shot placement it would be possible if push came to shove.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Why get either of those when you can get a cartridge that gets both jobs done (deer and home defense)

.300 blackout

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Why get either of those when you can get a cartridge that gets both jobs done (deer and home defense)

.300 blackout

Biggest turn off for me on 300 BO is ammo price being double 556 or 6.5 (roughly 43-45c per rd) vs (25 - 30c) for bulk fmj

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Biggest turn off for me on 300 BO is ammo price being double 556 or 6.5 (roughly 43-45c per rd) vs (25 - 30c) for bulk fmj
    All due respect but you're not doing to be deer hunting with FMJ and hopefully not using it for home defense either....

If you're stacking so much ammo that price is a concern I'd go with 5.56 simply because replacement parts would be more available in a SHTF situation over the grendel....

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No I would not use FMJ for hunting or SD, I was just wondering since ammo is relatively inexpensive for 6.5 if I should make the jump to it, as opposed to sticking with 5.56 as I think the 6.5 might be better suited to more tasks.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    6.5 Grendel would be my choice after a little research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    What, exactly, is going to be the sole purpose for this AR pistol? There is some ambiguity in your initial post. Personally, I would not consider an AR pistol for anything other than a HD type of weapon.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All you need to do is set your priorities and you will have your answer. Commonality, cheap and readily available ammo: 5.56, not an efficient burning cartridge in short barrels. 6.5 has the power in 18-20 barrels and was not designed for use in anything below 14.5. Not an efficient burning cartridge at 12.5, spendy to feed. 300BO is most efficient cartridge, more versatile in short barrels, spendy. The last two probably don't have Commonality with your current inventory. Last point is range toys eat more ammo than a HD firearm needs to. Stocking ammo for might not be an issue for taking on another cartridge into inventory. Muzzel blast should also be considered, directional flash cans add length.

I would also consider usage as a "truck gun" and factor that in as well.

Link below has some 12, 12.5 barrel length ballistic comparisons.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?133949-Tell-Me-I-m-Crazy-The-6-5-Grendel-Pistol

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Is this gun gonna be taken to the dirtpit on Saturday mornings and used to tear apart every dirt clod,clay target,and beer can,in the vicinity ?? [NO!!] Then ammo cost is not a deciding factor.
    Then there is the 12" bbl thing. Obviously not for the longer ranges but for it's compactness and ease of carry. Study the ballistics of the different chamberings that you mentioned coming out of 12 inches of bbl. Also,with the 300BLK you have heavy bullets available.
    (momentum)
    While you could use most anything for a close range gun,I do not think of the 6.5G as such a chambering. Now . . . I have fired a whole bunch of 55gr bullets out of a 10.5" AR (5.56) and at the closer ranges it is a great gun,throwing a 55gr or 62gr fast enough to go completely thru both sides of a Carlsberg Beer can.
    Tell us exactly what you want this gun to do. At what ranges. But if the cost of ammo is high in your list of priorities i'm gonna reccomend a AR/22LR. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Do no go shorter than 10.5 inches.

Last edited:

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sorry if my post caused any confusion but I don’t own a gun for every occasion so I want one to fill as many roles as possible.
    Primary role will be SD bump in the night, compact enough to double as a truck gun.
    My brother invites me hunting a few times a year so if it could drop a deer that’s a bonus.
    Lastly I don’t reload so I would like reasonable plinking ammo available in case I do go burn a couple hundred rds at the range.
    Hopefully that clears it up better and I could do two uppers and just swap as needed, but if one would handle all those tasks then all the better.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A .223 is a poor choice for deer, but great for the range on the cheap. The 6.5 grendel is a nice choice for deer, but more expensive (factory loads) to pop cans with it. So you need Both uppers. Either will do for that bump in the night as you said. Push 2 pins, remove upper, put on 2d upper, push 2 pins in and you've got a different caliber. It's that simple. Buy them Both, join the multiple upper gang.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A .223 is a poor choice for deer, but great for the range on the cheap. The 6.5 grendel is a nice choice for deer, but more expensive (factory loads) to pop cans with it. So you need Both uppers. Either will do for that bump in the night as you said. Push 2 pins, remove upper, put on 2d upper, push 2 pins in and you've got a different caliber. It's that simple. Buy them Both, join the multiple upper gang.

Originally I was just going to get the 556 upper for everything except deer hunting and then saw that I could get 6.5 Grendel fmj for 5$ a box that would make plinking/range ammo.
    So it just started me thinking it might be a better option.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oh, okay I was thinking premium ammo, but your right, thats on the cheap for plinking, but not for deer hunting (fmj). You just gotta think what you want to do the most, but again, 223 is a bad choice for deer. I'd still get both uppers if money warrants it, otherwise, to hunt, I'd go with the 6.5 grendel.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would respectfully disagree with the no 223/5.56 thing for deer. I have killed "a few" with my guns. I have a buddy that between him,his wife,and now two grown daughters,have killed upwards of 100 deer with these chamberings in both bolt,and single.
    Anybody check bullet availability in .224" nowadays. Factory loaded ammo also. Combine bullet,range,and shot placement,and more than likely,you got a dead deer. Understand the average weight of a NW Fla deer also. What . . . ?? . . .90lbs.
    Are their better choices ?? Maybe so. But don't be the hunter that expects a 30-06 to make up for shot placement. --- SAWMAN

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I would respectfully disagree with the no 223/5.56 thing for deer. I have killed "a few" with my guns. I have a buddy that between him,his wife,and now two grown daughters,have killed upwards of 100 deer with these chamberings in both bolt,and single.
    Anybody check bullet availability in .224" nowadays. Factory loaded ammo also. Combine bullet,range,and shot placement,and more than likely,you got a dead deer. Understand the average weight of a NW Fla deer also. What . . . ?? . . .90lbs.
    Are their better choices ?? Maybe so. But don't be the hunter that expects a 30-06 to make up for shot placement. --- SAWMAN

You know Bill I always wondered why I would want 556 for HD when people say it’s not viable for a 90lb doe, but I should trust it on the 250lb meth addict that kicks in my door..

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Then . . . there is the terminal energy thing.
    Hit a man with a 220gr at 1050 or a 55gr at 3200. Add in the expansion thing,the permanent wound channel thing,and the two hold bleed thing, and NOW . . . ?? Fast and light just works. --- SAWMAN

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    With the price of complete lowers right now, the 2 upper aspect just seems silly.

Top Bottom