• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not saying a 223 round won't kill a deer, hell, a .177 cal. pellet could too, but Only an unethical moron would use 223 for deer hunting. That's my opinion and of course y'all have yours. Also, a 220g slower slug will do more damage than a 55g fmj 223 @3200fps any time. Why do you think the military adopted the .45 ? Because when that slow moving tumbling chunk of lead hit you, it knocked you on your ass instead of a teeny hole which could quickly clot shut. If the .45 slug didn't kill you, shock would certainly do you in.

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m biased towards the 6.5, especially after my rifle build. It’s a great round for some distance plinking. So that would be my choice. Plus it will be pushing a larger, heavier bullet roughly the same velocity (as 5.56 ) out of an equal length pistol barrel which means more down range energy.

Biggest advantage to 5.56 though you can buy it anywhere. Grendel ammo can be scarce locally.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a note, but one can buy 6.5 grendel steel case berdan prime FMJ ammo at about 30 cents a round. So practice ammo cost is not an issue. I have a 6.5g, but with an 18 inch barrel. It would work in a pistol, but I will go likely 300 blkout and 7.62x39 for pistols. When I get into 300 blkout I will making my cases from 5.56 once fired. 110 grain bullets intended for the 30 us car should work fine giving good expansion. 5.56 ballistically is not a good choice since the 5.56 needs high velocity to be at it most effective for killing. The 30 cals do not lose so much in the short barrel.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not saying a 223 round won't kill a deer, hell, a .177 cal. pellet could too, but Only an unethical moron would use 223 for deer hunting. That's my opinion and of course y'all have yours. Also, a 220g slower slug will do more damage than a 55g fmj 223 @3200fps any time. Why do you think the military adopted the .45 ? Because when that slow moving tumbling chunk of lead hit you, it knocked you on your ass instead of a teeny hole which could quickly clot shut. If the .45 slug didn't kill you, shock would certainly do you in.
    There are a lot of unethical morons with freezers full of deer meat. Many southern deer are about the same body wt as humans. If the range is not too extreme 5.56 will kill deer. Not my choice, but it works for others.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah . . . I find that I respectfully disagree with not just your bold parts of that gentlemans post,but the rest of it also. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah . . . I find that I respectfully disagree with not just your bold parts of that gentlemans post,but the rest of it also. --- SAWMAN
    I did not want to start explaining the long story of the .38 long colt, charging Filipino warriors and adoption of the .45 and the Lagarde report.
    The Thompson–LaGarde Tests were a series of tests conducted in 1904 to determine which caliber should be used in American military handguns.
    The germans went to the 9x19 parabellum and not only still use it, but so do the USA armed forces and much of the rest the world. It was a very poor study and the government found the results that they wanted to find. .45 FMJ does kill, but it is not the hammer of Thor that some claim it to be.
    On heavy rifle bullets.
    Very few people hunt with 220 grain 30 cal slugs, especially for deer. Historically was used where max penetration was needed on larger critters. They are used in 300 blackout subsonic loads.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess this wouldn’t be the place to talk about attributes of the 22 Hornet for culling the deer population. :peace: :bolt:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess this wouldn’t be the place to talk about attributes of the 22 Hornet for culling the deer population. :peace: :bolt:

With head shots at closer ranges as one would do in some types of culling, quite lethal I am sure. for the same reason that some that jacklight deer prefer a .22 rim fire magnum to the .22 LR rim fire.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hornet is a neat little cartridge, it has more energy left at 200 yards , than a 22 magnum has at the muzzle. But you are correct in that it should be limited to head shots. It’s about the same noise level as a 22 magnum, that allows you to use it a lot closer to town and not upset the neighbors.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    At my range,I have shot the position next to a guy shooting a 22Hornet 14" pistol. To me it is a extremely high pitched "crack" that leaves you wondering . . . WTF was that ??"
    To me - - -> Not quiet at all. --- SAWMAN

Members online

Top Bottom