• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hello everyone. I I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge, with two barrels, the 18.5" security barrel, with a bead sight, and the 28" field barrel, with a vent rib and 2 beads.
    The 28" takes Accu-choke tubes, and the 18.5" is a cylinder bore, not threaded for chokes.
    This is my do-it-all hunting shotgun, (for now) and I am in the process of setting it up as such. It would be used for deer, coyotes, squirrels and rabbits, and possibly hogs, although I've never seen any where I hunt. I don't plan on hunting any high flying waterfowl, or any other birds.
    I noticed that Mossberg offers a 20 inch vent rib barrel, that takes Accu-choke tubes. This looks like it would be great for what I need.
    The only drawback I can see is the price Mossberg is charging for it. Their website lists it for $207.00.
    I'm wondering if this would be worth the money, or would it be better to invest in more ammo and range time?
    I would hate to spend almost as much as the gun itself, if it wouldn't make a big difference.
    Thanks in advance,
    Sj1

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Only problem is that a long bbl with choke tubes will not take the place of a short bbl.
    A shotgun bbl gains it's velocity/energy in the first 19 inches of bbl. Anything above that is just extra weight to carry and swing. Of course,unless your looking for the sight radius thing. But between beads ??
    My go to/do everything gun is a 12ga Benelli with a 18.5" bbl and a fist full of choke tubes. This,from cylinder bore to turkey extra full.
    My wife shoots a 20ga Mossberg 500,21",VR,and has a choke tube pouch with cyl bore,imp,mod,and full. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That is the barrel I have on my 88, it is great and does the job even for dove! I even added a collapsible stock on it!

Attachments

• 100_0299.JPG
      100_0299.JPG
      200.9 KB · Views: 427

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Bwaaaaaaaaahahaha !!!
    That is some really great subtle humor right there. Good going.
    Me . . . my prices are so damn high,I don't even bother to bump anymore.
    Best of luck with the sale (trade) of this gun sir. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom