DK Firearms

I REALLY need some stock work, recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IM4MOPAR

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I purchased a couple 5mm remington mag rifles from an auction, 591M, 592M. They arrived to Little Jack's Guns and I got some horrific news, both guns were damaged in shipping! :( One stock was chewed up by the rear sight of the other rifle, 1 stock came in with 2 cracks. I'm looking for a gunsmith who could possibly repair one or both. The collector value went straight in the toilet, but would like to keep as shooters, they're like a 22mag on steroids. I included some pics, the bubblewrap was all that was used, it was wrapped around the outside of the guns and they were shipped that way(ridiculous!!)Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Attachments

• crack1.jpg
      crack1.jpg
      114.4 KB · Views: 308
    • crack2.jpg
      crack2.jpg
      136.2 KB · Views: 320
    • chewed.jpg
      chewed.jpg
      224.9 KB · Views: 320
    • crack 3.jpg
      crack 3.jpg
      141.1 KB · Views: 316
    • bubblewrap.jpg
      bubblewrap.jpg
      204.5 KB · Views: 324

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    good luck, whoever packed those rifles, did not like guns...or didn't give a crap...

auction sales are final? no way to go back on the shipper, or the delivery company?

people don't have any desire to be best....

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First, you need to bust out WHO was the auction house that let that be shipped in such a slipshod manner.
    Nothing like Shining the Light of Bad Publicity on idiocy.

Second, if it was an individual auction, like on Gb/etc...NAME THE SELLER.
    Yes, you need to shame those bleeping bleeps PUBLICLY.

On the upside, CFN actually has a stock, in stock for the 591M ;)
    Dunno if the same stock works for both...but it's a lead!
    http://cfnparts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=162

Ahlman's occcasionally has 591/592 parts on hand...

And instead of repairing the stocks, you could have them duplicated...
    just find out who happens to have a stock doubler in the area, (goes by a few names)
    and use your Original for the pattern, after some woodworking, tada!
    If they shoot well, it'd be worth putting a new stock on 'em :)
    http://www.ahlmans.com/

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, and it doesn't neccesarily have to be a gunsmith, a good woodworker can do the wood repairs if that's what you are looking for. Unfortunately the last guy I knew who did that sort of thing was Larry Bailey of Bailey's Attic...and he passed a few years back.

IM4MOPAR

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks Big Shrek, the auction house offered to make it good, I could either send back for a full refund or work something out in-between, I opted to keep the rifles at a reduced rate. I really think they are cool, a little bit hotter than my 22 mags, just have to erase the collector aspect, toyed with the idea of originally just keeping my fave and selling the other one. I was able to get a RIA 1911 A1 two tone for the difference. I think someone they had packing them was the issue, they assured me from now on, the auction personnel would be the only ones packing firearms for shipment. I will put some feelers out for a good woodworker to possibly repair the 591, the difference in the two are the 591 is clip fed, the 592 is tube fed, so unfortunately they don't interchange.

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, and it doesn't neccesarily have to be a gunsmith, a good woodworker can do the wood repairs if that's what you are looking for. Unfortunately the last guy I knew who did that sort of thing was Larry Bailey of Bailey's Attic...and he passed a few years back.

They don't make em like Larry anymore.....I worked with Larry for a few years before he got sick...He was my next door neighbor.....A great guy....a Dear Friend and a helluva woodworker......I miss him.......

Good luck.....I'm sure there is someone around Pensacola that is capable......

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One cute little thing that some places, like Remmy & Marlin used to do, was simply hollow out a tube area
    from a standard stock...like Marlin's 60 (tube) and 70 (Box mag) used the same stock...just slightly different inletting...so if the measurements come up the same for the wood thickness in the forearm,
    it may be possible to mod a CFN 591 to work for a 592...
    just all depends on the measurements of the OEM stocks ;)

Also, while I'm thinking of it...another way to Cover where the scratches and damage are, is to Checker after the repair. Like that big scratched up area on one...or carve a special design/commemorative into the stock. Awards shops can also make little name-plates so you can cover some things in a good spot.

My grandfather's big wooden porch rocker was left to me, and after repairing it, there were a few leftover scars that couldn't be covered any other way, so I woodburned some Celtic designs into it which covered the scars nicely, and made it a conversation piece I could talk to my sons about, since they came along well after he had passed!

Last edited:

IM4MOPAR

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm working on trying something along those lines, I don't want to jinx it until I can actually see one, but I will keep you posted on the outcome! I did think of the checkering after I saw a custom 5mm on gunbroker.
    It looks pretty sweet. Thanks, Shrek!

Top Bottom