• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is the GCGF internet site certificate valid? I'm using a Samsung Tab 3 Lite SM T110 with all changes up to date. No known bugs.

When I open GCGF msgs received in GMail, I tap the topic or post Link which use to directly open the GCGF web age/post automatically & correctly. Now I get error page saying site is down, site unsecure (no button to connect anyway) or check connection or site may have new address. I get the same msg when I paste a known good Link (below) directly on the search bar in Duck Duck Go, Bing and on Internet Explorer. All three search engines will search and find mutiple listings for GCGF but when clicked on: I get the same no connection msg. All of those search engines will search and open dog, cat and other gun sites. I'm on here now using Chrome which connects/works fine with cut and paste Link from GCGF msgs and search/click Link but I hate using spying google for anything, especially gun stuff.

Anybody have a clue what the problem might be? Only thing I come up with that would be GCGF Site specific is Site rejection based on Site Verification Security Certificate might be expired. Something in Chrome (setting?) ignores it. I don't recall if at some prior time on Chrome I might have got a "danger/security warning trying to get GCGF and clicked Connent anyway instead of Go back to Safety: that default could still be in place.

https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/forum.php

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I use FireFox with Adblocker plus and NoScript instead of Googles Chrome
    Google is just too nosy even worse than my inquisitive wife .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexKev

Marksman
    Administrator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry for the late reply. We had to move servers due to the other being old. Then it all just went down unrelated to the move, some fiber optic cable was cut.

All seems OK now, anyone else still having an issue?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've rebooted a couple of times, same problem. I did find out on GCGF email msgs that Links to Sites outside GCGF like youtube vids and commercial gun/parts sale WORK, every Link back to GCGF FAIL.

I changed my homepage to plain google. In search bar I put in Gulf Coast Gun Forum and several Correct Headers pop up in results. It doesnt matter if I click the main hedder or listed sub topic Links: they all FAIL. Further down the Search recommendations is "Gulf Coast Guns and Outdoors" I click it and it open correctly. Same on Bing, Duck Duck Go, Internet Explorer and plain Google: only GCGF Shows up on search, fails to connect.
    All the "current Web addresses should work and the Server change invisible to us except for down time right?

Specifically: Is GCGF Site Security Verification Certificate up to date and/or make the Server transition to the new gear? I don't get a popup that says the Site doesn't have one/view/connect anyway/go back to safety. Just Fail to connect, check my connection, check address, and Site may be offline: every time, every search engine/browser except Chrome. Again odd Chrome works but plain Google doesn't.

Last guess: Is GCGF on a dedicated sole source use or open with multiple Sites/users. I have Blocked senders/servers with obvious scam intent, it cut the garbage to almost Zero.

Thanks for the help,
    WR
    My settings allow Cookies but not downloads without approval. No Malware I know of.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll move the conversation back to here since PMs don't have the ability to attach pics unless it's hosted somewhere.
    I agree that it looks like you're using Edge. I don't use it on desktop or phone, but go to "settings" and look for a page like this from Ghostery :

Screenshot_2019-03-18-14-57-21.jpg

Clear your cache there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-18-14-57-21.jpg
      Screenshot_2019-03-18-14-57-21.jpg
      71 KB · Views: 144
    Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am pretty sure your IE/Edge is pulling a cached version of the site that no longer exists. Clearing the cache will force it to go out to the DNS tables and actually look for the site.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Still AFU. I couldn't get a menu as displayed above. I have cleared every cookies, cache and history (google, Bing too) I have come across then restarted system. I know its clearing the data because I have to log in again, switch to desktop version and kill the Sidebar! Same problem persists only it doesn't list recommendations during partial spelling, recs after hitting enter go to bad links. I've turned off the google app, hit uninstall then hit replace with factory version. It reloads, I restart and same problems exist. I still can't find a way to hard: IPconfig/DNS flush.

Does a WIFi Router hold IP address data for faster connections?

This is getting close to the point of being not worth the trouble! I probably have more than 10 hours trying to un screw this mess and got no where.

I am thankful for the help I've gotten but the fix has been elusive. This same problem happened a few years ago. I had to wipe out everything with a Factory Reset JUST TO GET GCGF connecting again. I've got too much other data saved that a Reset for one Link isn't worth it this time.. I'm not going to keep dancing on Stage with spying Chrome for long.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, your router doesn't save any information.

I don't know anyone that uses microsoft web browser anyways. Why not move to a modern one like Opera, or Firefox? Microsoft quit being known for their browser decades ago.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    1st look for any gmail updates (you said you have with the Samsung tab 3). If none, turn off your phone' wifi and turn on your phone' data, then try opening the site. Still a problem, shut phone off, remove battery (if applicable), leave off for 5 minutes, turn it back on, try the site. If that didn't work, try deleting the site app from ur phone and then clear browser, re-download the site.
    And it could be a gmail glitch, you may need to remove it and re-download it too. g/l

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its a Tablet (Samsung SM T110) no phone link/Data, its WiFi or work Off Line only. Battery removal would require splitting the Case, last time I broke the screen so I don't want to go that route again. Both GMail and Google updated since problem start date.

GCGF Msg Links to the Site open fine via Chrome but not my other Search engines/browsers (Edge, google, Bing &Duck Duck Go). I'm not going to keep using Chrome access long term for obvious reasons.

Some Tech Sites say the DNS should self correct in minutes/days. Probably true since Chrome connected to the GCGF New Servers/Location with no issues and most Members never had this problem with whatever Browser/Search engines they use. My Tablet is six years old so its a telegraph technology by todays standards. Lol

I've turned of Sync, cleared ALL Bookmarks, saved pages, History, Caches and Data from from Apps, killed and reset WiFi Router (incase it held Data). I don't have a clue if my Service provide retains Data.

Samsung Support was useless, wouldn't take a DNS question in any form but Site did keep trying to sell/upgrade to new stuff. OnLine help connected to "bots" with same circle of worthless not related answers, asked for a real person/human and it went to job opertunities.

Thank for the help suggestions.

I'm pretty sure its a DNS issue (looking for old/disconnected Servers).

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, it's that particular browser thinking it "already knows" what IP address is connected to the GCGF domain name. So it's going straight to the old IP address instead of getting the new IP address resulting from the server move, from the DNS servers. This is why you don't have the same problem with other browsers. They never went to the old IP so they don't have it cached.

So you've got to clear wherever it's cached or as you say, maybe someday, it'll decide to actually go out and look on its own. But I wouldn't count on it.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is the settings page in Edge, although I must admit I've never used it.

Capture.JPG

I'd definitely clear that stuff.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      37.5 KB · Views: 112

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    All above are great tips/ideas - if it still isn't working after that you could also try going a little old school and doing a DNS flush -

* Open Start.
    * Type CMD into Start.
    * Right-click “Command Prompt“, then choose “Run as Administrator“.
    * Click Yes when it asks you if you want to allow this app to make changes.
    * Type in ipconfig /flushdns, make sure there is a space before the / then press ↵ Enter. It goes fast a you'll probably just see your DOS window flash or blink.
    * Restart your web browser.

(cough cough) Switch to Firefox (cough cough)

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The problem continues:
    Webpage not available
    The webpage at*https://gulfcoastgunforum.com/*might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Suggestions:
    Make sure you have a data connection
    Reload this webpage later
    Check the address you entered

I spent half the day moving priority Files to a SD Card, couldn't take them all. I knew I would loose 4GB of Files if I did a Factory Reset.

I (with suggestions from Members) tried to fix this crap with no success. I even tried the old Web time vs my Tablet Time change so my Unit would reflect a time later than Site Validations (didn't work). Nothing else to try so I bit the bullet and dd a FACTORY RESET. It wiped out every bit of my previous use and 4G of Data as expected.

Did it fix GCGF DNS connection problem? ABSOFUCKINGLUTEY NOT!!! Exact same Failures with CLEAN ZERO HISTORY/CACHE/Page/Link Browsers: Search Bar entries get result recommendations (new Server Path right?) Click to open and they all Fail: GCGF Main and all subcategories ((connect fai msg above). Opens with Chrome. WTF!

Once AGAIN Question: is the GCGF Site Security Verification Certification: Valid and up to date?
    Though you would normally get a Security Warning msg and need to click go back or proceed to Site, Iooking for any possible Block. I do get a PopUp over the Fail Msg that states:
    Connection Problem
    Could not establish secure connection

The Nuclear Option failed, can't fix or kill this Server change induced DNS cockroach problem.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All above are great tips/ideas - if it still isn't working after that you could also try going a little old school and doing a DNS flush -

* Open Start.
    * Type CMD into Start.
    * Right-click “Command Prompt“, then choose “Run as Administrator“.
    * Click Yes when it asks you if you want to allow this app to make changes.
    * Type in ipconfig /flushdns, make sure there is a space before the / then press ↵ Enter. It goes fast a you'll probably just see your DOS window flash or blink.
    * Restart your web browser.

(cough cough) Switch to Firefox (cough cough)

I don't think you can get a command window on android?

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well that is interesting that a factory reset did not cure it. But I think its right when it says:
    it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
    Because GCGF did indeed move to a new address. Somehow Edge is still trying the old address. I will add this to the reasons nobody uses it. I'd just uninstall it and move to a non-legacy browser:

edge.jpg

Attachments

• edge.jpg
      edge.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 98

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've neve seen a Start other than the external On/Off/Shutdown Button. Never came across a Command Line or Tool to execute commands.

These are Windows OS directions. I do believe you told me that you're running android.

Top Bottom