• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just looking for opinions on pistols without a manual safety.
    My feeling is that Glock, S&W Shield without manual safety, and the Sig 365 are on a level plain as far as safe to carry. The Sig 365 doesn't have a trigger doohickey like the other two, but none of them will fire until the trigger is pulled. Do ya'll feel the Sig 365 is less safe because it doesn't have a trigger doohickey?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The trigger doohickey is not a real safety in my humble opinion but that is a different conversation. Please expound on your definition of safe? Would I feel safe with it as a bedside table gun in an adults only household? Yes. Would I feel safe with it carried at the 4/5/6 spots? Yes. Would I feel safe with it carried at the 2 spot? No.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The trigger doohickey is not a real safety in my humble opinion but that is a different conversation. Please expound on your definition of safe? Would I feel safe with it as a bedside table gun in an adults only household? Yes. Would I feel safe with it carried at the 4/5/6 spots? Yes. Would I feel safe with it carried at the 2 spot? No.
    Yeah I guess I need to clarify. I am talking about being carried at the 4,5,6 fully holstered, or ankle holstered. Nowhere a child can access it.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    For comparison - - -> HOW ABOUT REVOLVERS ???
    They have no safety. Just like my Glocks.
    NO . . WAIT . . !! My Glocks do have safetys. Multiple safetys.
    Any Questions ?? --- SAWMAN
    I agree with you these guns have multiple internal safetys.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just for clarification I carry a Shield 45 with no external safety, so I am not apposed to having no external safety.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,sorry for that Matt. I know you didn't or wouldn't but I just get a little crazy when people try to tell me how unsafe my Glocks are. --- SAWMAN

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah,sorry for that Matt. I know you didn't or wouldn't but I just get a little crazy when people try to tell me how unsafe my Glocks are. --- SAWMAN
    No problem, but who is Matt?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I thought your first name was Matt ??
    What name do you normally use in the witness protection program ?? --- SAWMAN

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I will and often do carry a revolver (12lbs trigger) at the 2 spot.

I carry and have carried for 2 years now a cz p07 (no external safety) at the 1 and 2 spots just fine. Nice kydex that covers the trigger, keep your booger hooks off and you'll be just fine. And the first pull on the p07 is like a revolver anyways I just get 17 RDS.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Your holster should cover the trigger & guard. Then carry at whatever clock you want. Draw the weapon with a purposeful shooting grip, and transition the boogerhook to the trigger After you're done flagging your body.

With a round in the chamber, you can throw a Glock or Beretta 92FS at the wall, and it won't fire. Unless the trigger is pulled somehow...

Nervous about carrying at 1 o'clock AIWB but not at 5 o'clock? You have more control over your weapon at 1 vs 5. You have a quicker draw at 1 vs 5. For reholstering, you have a better view of the holster and any obstructions at 1 vs 5.

"External" safeties seem to be an excuse for poor trigger discipline or to somehow quell the fear of a negligent discharge. Proper use of an external safety requires good form and practice. The same stuff that allows folks to use weapons without external safeties. To each his own.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A key thing with the glock and similar pistols is that some sort of guard must be over the trigger to prevent it from being inadvertently actuated when it is being carried. A standard holster does that. The little trigger thingy on it is supposed to make it safer to holster a glock without the trigger rubbing against something and the gun firing. Many Accidental or perhaps better said negligent shootings with a glock occur when someone holsters it with their finger inside the trigger guard.
    Glocks equipped with pistol arm braces are sometimes fitted with external safeties since the pistol is not carried in a holster with such setups. cominolli-3__56210.1533338387.jpg

Attachments

• cominolli-3__56210.1533338387.jpg
      cominolli-3__56210.1533338387.jpg
      235 KB · Views: 202

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Per question in OP, the Glock trigger safety (dohickeything) would be one of three mechanical safeties comparied to the P365s two. The second model of the P365 has an additional manual safety. The Glock trigger Safety (all actually) will not prevent human error inadvertent/negligent discharges (ND), example: holstering the Glock with trigger finger in the trigger guard. An engaged "ON" manual safety would prevent the ND like the one in the example provided.

No safety or a dozen: responsibility for safe use, carry, placement (glove box, draw, under counter) and storage will be yours. Chose what you think fits your needs, if spouse will use it (house or vehicle gun) figure that in also. Train to proficiency and maintain it, with or without a manual safety.

As time passes we may change our choices, no harm no foul.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey Snake. Faster draw depends on the person right? I have out drawn several folks in this exact scenario. Not nervous, just my experience with accidents among my fellow officers which showed me no matter your handling skills or training accidents do happen and happen more often when a lighter trigger pull is involved.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey Snake. Faster draw depends on the person right? I have out drawn several folks in this exact scenario. Not nervous, just my experience with accidents among my fellow officers which showed me no matter your handling skills or training, accidents do happen and happen more often when a lighter trigger pull is involved.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You want opinions... well everyone has them and they are free...or at least I've not been paid for mine so I'll give you my $.02.

Striker fired guns are made such that they won't fire unless the trigger is depressed...now how comfortable a person is with that is a personal decision.

All of my pistols used for home defense are either striker or SA/DA with hammer down...they aren't carried and anyone who needs one has to pick up the gun and pull the trigger to fire it. This is to simplify operation and the pistol I'm likely to access is striker fired and those of family members are the SA/DA variety with as long first trigger pull.

For new shooters and my own personal carry guns, they either have a safety or they are a revolver...much less likely to discharge it unintentionally...I practice with those pistols most.

I own a couple of striker fired pistols (Walther PPQ and HK VP 9) whose triggers are so light, I don't like them for carry or house...they are plinkers and I absolutely love to shoot them. To me, it is all about the shooters skill (namely finger discipline), experience and ability to function under stress. I have no issues with any current designs; I just tend to be cautious and particularly so with new shooters. I always recommend pistols with a manual safety for new and inexperienced shooters. And when those shooters visit my range and want to practice with revolvers, I encourage them to practice double action shooting.

My dad and I spent some time shooting...he hadn't fired a pistol in decades and likely his experience was with revolvers; namely a K-22. We shot my K-17, Beretta M9 and a CZ 75B...he was disappointed with the take up of the SA/DA triggers...especially the Beretta. When he visits next, I'll introduce him to a Browning Hi Power and 1911...I suspect he will enjoy those more...and the traditional hammer and safety. So, each to his own...that's my opinion. Every gun, when handled properly, is safe. Some are easier to carry safely than others...so how is your finger control...do you catch yourself doing it with a drill or a circular saw, your weed eater...then a Glock is right up your ally. If not, a person owes it to themselves and others around them to use a good safety or carry a SA/DA decocked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom