Patriot Mobile

Using Reman Ammo in AR Semi-auto or Not ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Whereas the cost of reman ammo is cheap enough, and it's track record is..... well, you decide.

Came across this while researching 6.5 grendel or .300 aac for a build. The below incident occurred with .223, but reman is reman.....be careful.

https://rifleshooter.com/2012/09/rock-river-arms-mid-length-carbine-kaboom/

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    WELL . . . ? . . . you have manufactured . . then you have . . remanufactured.
    The only difference is that with manufactured you have new brass. With remanufactured you have once fired brass.
    Hope that clears everything up for you. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One kaboom there could be doubt, twice is enough to say never to use that ammo.
    The incident occurred during the last string of fire. The previous 45-rounds were mostly uneventful, with the exception of what appeared to be a couple of underpowered rounds. This appears to be an ammunition related event.

The bolt carrier appears to have split, you will notice it protruding into the magazine well. On the left side the upper was cracked and bulged, the bolt hold-open sheared off. On the right, the upper bulged and the ejection port cover bent. The magazine was blown out of the rifle. Notice how the bottom of the mag bulged from the pressure.

Thankfully no one was hurt. I think that is a testament to the design of the rifle and the quality of RRA.

According to the owner, RRA told him it was caused by the ammunition (Ultramax) and this is the second gun they had destroyed by it. The RRA mishap report, “Lower OK, bolt still in battery, lockup. Fired casing came apart at base, no bulges in barrel.”
    Sounds like the gas was vented through the action. No mention of the bolt lugs, trunion, etc being damage. I wonder if they loaded once fired blank cartridge cases which are often not made to withstand high pressure, but those come with crimps so their use should be noticed.
    If you want cheap stick with the wolf steel ammo.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My buddy that loads commercially has stopped using once fired brass that we process for him. He is buying new Wolf primed by the drum cheaper than we can buy, process, prime it.

when we run it it goes through a small base carbide die and shoulder are pushed back -.001 under SAAMI, a swagger, trim die, then back through a neck sizer...then to the cement mixer to get the lube off

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    WELL . . . ? . . . you have manufactured . . then you have . . remanufactured.
    The only difference is that with manufactured you have new brass. With remanufactured you have once fired brass.
    Hope that clears everything up for you. --- SAWMAN

I wasn't foggy on anything. But glad you're on top of things.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Seriously though - - -> If I were thinking of using remanufactured ammo maybe dig into their customer feedback. Google would be your friend also.
    Another thought would be . . . BLACK HILLS AMMO . . . I have used their ammo to shoot some very small groups with my 223Rem shooting the 60gr NosPart's. Another one is Double Tap.
    If you start checking the headstamp on some non Fed,Win,Rem,types ammo,you will see some great stuff that has been "remanufactured". --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    KABOOM Guy wasn't giving the WARNING SIGNS he experienced ("several under powered shots") any consideration for future disaster. Here's his sign: STUPID!

Solution: When a gun has an unusal discharge you stop, clear the gun, try and find the last discharged case (or pick them all up) and look for abnormalities,, check the gun/bore. Don't try and burn through suspect ammo to get rid of it. Contact the Manufacture. You might not be the only one with the problem and a bad Lot# could impact a lot of users.

I've used the same loose bulk box as shown in the Link and still have a few boxes. It was bought as range ammo and will be used as such unless I have a problem with it.

The big name Mfrs have occasional problems and recalls too. Unless you stay on top of magazines/good gun blogs; you never see it.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hear I go . been around to long , Have seen a couple of these brought in . in the past and have had a couple happen when I pull the trigger. This can happen when the bolt starts to close but don't fully close. this leavers the case not all the way in the chamber. so the case is not fully supported. and we know what happen in this condition. This from the case should having a little bulge on the shoulder, this happen when the bullet is seated and crimp is done. You are talking about only a couple of thousands, this is why I use a case conditioner in my last stage of loading. I talked to colt one time about this , and the come back was it stayed to gather. There is more but this all I can type. Out of 5 I have seen, only saw one Rec. that was ruined. just my 5 cents jj

Top Bottom