• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Opened for adult civil discussion on the Topic of Slavery Reparations.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/05/opinions/reparations-democratic-candidates-2020-granderson/index.html

Proposed Bill, H.R. 40 Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act

Official Summary:
    This bill establishes the Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans to examine slavery and discrimination in the colonies and the United States from 1619 to the present and recommend appropriate remedies.

H.R. 40 Full text and related information at Link below.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/40/text

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Who qualifies? How much? Who's paying for it(Bloomberg, Gates, Bezos and Buffett could get a trust going)? What if my family didn't come to north America until after emancipation, do I still have to pay? What if they were Irish, do I get paid? Do you get reparations if you can't prove your family was in the states before emancipation?

Reparations will make a small percentage of the country happy(probably for a short time) but piss off a huge portion of it.
    But I'm a white Male so.....

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Reparations wouldnt be improper if sanctioned by the government as I dont recall the government actually owning slaves.. werent they privately owned? I know my family never owned slaves...instead if reparations would it be more prudent to financially assist anyone who wishes to renounce their forced citizenship here and help them to return to their homeland?

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you could ask every living ex-slave what they think should be done to "make-up" for their sacrifices, do you think a paycheck of any dollar amount would actually suffice? How insulting is it that someone would honestly think that throwing money at the person will magically equate?

Can you extrapolate that towards every "wrong" done to people?
    -Hurricane killed your mom? Here's a check, now don't be sad anymore.
    -Drunk driver killed your kid? Here's a check, now don't be sad anymore or seek any further justice.
    -Daughter got raped and murdered? Here's a check for her surviving husband, now don't be sad anymore or ever remarry or seek justice against the dirtbag who did it.

If you're dealt injustice and survive, you probably just want to be made whole again, or as close to it. Icing on the cake would be that it never happens to anyone else again.

If you are a former slave or a former slave-owner, then you have a seat at the discussion table for "Slavery Reparations". Otherwise, why is this still being discussed?

All that aside: it's 2019. We recently had a black POTUS for two terms. If you're looking for a handout because of your race, the time for a serious discussion about that is long gone.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I say let the rich liberals give of their surplus to make their white guilt go away

the white working man has been taking it on the chin for a while now...where is reparation for those excluded by affirmative action?

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Damn sure doesn't hurt my feelings any!

I'm sad, and I don't feel like I'm a part of anything. How much is that worth? Pay me, I might feel better. This sort of crap make me sick and angry at the same time.

"The congress dosent LOOK like america" What ever happened to the "best person for the job?" I'm afraid,were heading into extreme uncertain times.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never owned a slave, never known anybody that has plus I have never ever known a person that was a slave or knew anybody that knew somebody that was a slave. So I don't think I need to unass some of my tax money to anybody that was or was not a descendant of a slave, especially considering slavery was legal by US law at the time. If the govt wants to sell off some of their junk to pay these people something they can have at it. We are not the people that did the deed and the folks running around now aren't the folks that were mistreated. If we pay them off then that means we'll have to give the Indians a whole shitload of money for ripping them off.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Pay 'em, and you had better pay them good, because those getting paid, will be back for more. there will never be enough...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About fairness:
    “There is not an acre of ground on the globe that is in possession of its rightful owner, or that has not been taken away from owner after owner, cycle after cycle, by force and bloodshed.”

― Mark Twain

There is no way to correct this.

Retroactive justice and fairness many generations removed is not practical. What is practical that we have tried are laws and other support to help minorities, many have not used these opportunities to their advantage. If you are on the bottom, the proper american ethic was to sacrifice and work very hard to improve your lot. Some members of minorities have and others have simply slide down deeper. We now have generations living on welfare. Some girls and not only those of color decide to have single family children that they can not support and live on welfare and food stamps.

I will concede that right after slavery the Fed government could have help the exSlaves more. What was done in this direction was the exSlaves were enfranchised to vote and ex-confederates lost the right to vote or hold public office being considered legally traitors to the USA. There were at the state level many exsalves holding public office. When the Federal troops left, reconstruction ended and the ex-confederates rose up through violence and segregation laws reversing all of this. Terrorism was the rule of the day with 1,000's of recorded fatal lynchings, floggings, castrations, etc. This is not in the history books that most read. It was generally called Jim Crow for some reason. It is not so much the legacy of slavery that is the problem today in the USA, but of the post civilwar era which really ruled from the end of reconstruction without significant opposition until President Truman integrated the US Armed forces. Since then segregation and racism over the years little by little does not exist anymore, but that has not completely fixed things for sure with huge predominantly black neighborhoods which are often not good places to live.
    I do not have the answers to solve for this.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keeping what you earn and earning what you keep would go a long way toward making things equal.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Reparations wouldnt be improper if sanctioned by the government as I dont recall the government actually owning slaves.. werent they privately owned? I know my family never owned slaves...instead if reparations would it be more prudent to financially assist anyone who wishes to renounce their forced citizenship here and help them to return to their homeland?

The federal gov did sanction slavery in that it was regulated to be below the Mason Dixon Line where the Slave population were counted as 3/5 citizens
    The three-fifths clause is perhaps the most misunderstood provision of the U.S. Constitution. The clause provides that representation in Congress will be based on "the whole Number of free Persons" and "three fifths of all other Persons." The "other Persons" were slaves

Also I suspect at times the Federal Government did own some slaves even though the historians say no

Did the US federal government ever use African American slave labor?
    Yes and no. The Federal government did not own slaves or hire them, but it did employ them... for wages.

Which might sound strange, but it really wasn't. We like to think of slave labor nowadays as unpaid or forced, but really, the nature of slavery comes from the ownership. The slave is literally the property of the owner and is bound to the owner's tyranny.

That does not preclude one from compensating a slave. A slaveowner could have paid their slaves wages... it would have been bad for business. Many slaves did side jobs when their owners rented them out, and could actually earn money this way. Some slaves earned enough to buy their freedom (i.e., buy themselves).
    https://www.quora.com/Did-the-US-federal-government-ever-use-African-American-slave-labor
    There was also the fugitive slave act that allowed slave owners to cross state lines and go after escaped slaves.

So certainly the federal government was complicit in regulating slavery to some extent and also for protecting the rights of slave owners to own slaves.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keeping what you earn and earning what you keep would go a long way toward making things equal.
    If not being able to keep what you earn makes one a slave, then consider taxes. Are we all becoming slaves as the local, state, and federal governments increase our taxes.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Most of my ancestors where dirt floor poor, still had outhouses in the late sixties, some even into the seventies, one of my dads choirs as a kid was to empty the slop bucket(he’s 67). My grandfather built his crab-shop by laying bricks with his own hands, Hurricane Camille washed a tree through it, he and my dad built it back with savings. A few years later it burned down, having previously exhausted his savings he took different jobs at shipyards, even dragged my father to most as a two for one price deal, to afford to buy materials to rebuild. He started my family off better than before, but I started out picking shrimp, shaking crab pots, and tonging oysters on the deck of my fathers boat, we did ok fishing. My dad, brother, and myself started our shop in the mid nineties and it was work, often times I had to go tong oysters to supplement loses while starting out. I would not receive a check or often $100 a week. We had hurricane Katrina shut us down for almost a month due to health dep regulations that after a flood you’re required to repermit along with damage caused, and the loss of $$$$$$ of product. Then just as I’m turning it back around along came BP and I was shut down for almost 8 months, the gulf was simply closed. Lost customers all over, but we stayed at it, learned to diversify and got into rental houses as a way to help float through the bad times. My grandfather had 6 brothers and sisters, only two of his siblings families have amounted to anything, a couple work for me, and not very reliably at that. One of those brothers rode trains acrossed the country as a hobo.
    Point is some people will make it, and some won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No. Slaves were freed and given a choice to stay, or return to their homelands. There were people/societies formed back then that were about repatriating them. Today they are labelled racist(?). They had their chance/choice. Yeah it sucked back then, but there is no one alive today that is responsible, and no amount of money will erase history. If anyone is owed anything, lets start with Native Americans.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    "I do not have the answers to solve for this."

nor does anybody else my friend.

I have the solution...simple, no reparations... life is tough, even tougher when your neighboring tribe sells you to some sea captain in slavery..

here's an idea, which will save money in the long run...pay reparations based on one thing: go back to your country of origin , give your passport up, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out..

or stfu and go to work, it is past history anyway, get the f##k over it..

Top Bottom