• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I couldn't pocket carry a Glock. Don't even like an lcp or bodyguard in my pocket but bout as small as they get lol

it's like a roll of quarters in your front pocket all day.... its a drag. I tuck my shirts in, so a waist holster dosent work. either ankle (which suck IMO) or front pocket....

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the Sig 238, solid, reliable gun. Would have listed it as an option but manual safety, locked and cocked single action trigger: might be too much too soon for a new CCW. I don't know her proficiency or her learning curve to go that route. Sig does make some nice eye candy with colors, engravingand grip opitions. Glock 42 keeps it simple and effective.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    For some time my EDC (pocket) was a Sig P238 .380
    Great pistol and 100% reliable.
    Some folks won't care for the SAO cocked & locked carry.

I carry a 911 which is almost identical. With the hammer down that trigger pull is light! I've got a 938 as well. Excellent pistols

skippyt

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I carry a Diamond Back 380, in the front pocket, doesn't "print" even in shorts, 7 plus one in the chamber, looks like a mini glock

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Whatever she chooses she needs to practice with some snap caps loaded randomly in the magazines to help her get accustomed to clearing a dud and getting back in the action.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks for all the responses. Just putting some thoughts out there. If she got a Springfield 911 or a Sig p238 she wouldn't have to carry it cocked and locked right? That would obviously be the fastest way. If she got a Glock 42 and carried it in her purse, would that be safe without a thumb safety? I need to ask her some more questions about how she wants to carry. She is just starting out with guns. She shot really well in here training with a Shield 40, but she wants something physically smaller. She also wants something with less recoil. She wants her cake and eat it too. She may have to compromise somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Glock 42 Safeties are only disengaged when the trigger is depressed. When the trigger guard is covered by the pistol in a holster or with a minimal trigger/guard cover installed: they prevent objects (fingers, lipstick, mascara, pens, coins...) from entering and contacting the trigger. The G42 DOES NOT have a magazine disconnect safety: it would prevent a chambered round from being fired with the mag removed. If you were changing mags and needed to fire "right now": you couldn't. No mag disconnect safety is better IMHO.

https://us.glock.com/learn/glock-pistols/safe-action-system

The Sig P238 can be carried in three Levels of Readiness. 1. Chambered round, hammer cocked and safety ON. 2. Chambered round, hammer down (hold hammer back, pull trigger and carefully/slowly lower hammer). 3. Slide closed on empty chamber. All three require shooter action befor firing: 1. Move safety to fire position. 2. Cock hammer. 3. Rack/cycle slide to chamber a round.

Note: many SA pistols have a intercept notch or half-cock feature which is intended to catch a falling hammer if the trigger is not pulled.
    Depending on build date and factory upgrade: some P238 with hammer resting in Half-Cock will drop the hammer when trigger is pulled while newer pistols will not.
    Glock: insert mag, chamber round (top off mag if desired) and your ready for business.

It's never a bad idea to go to a Mfr Web site and download the prespective guns operators/owner/user Manual. A bit of due diligence that will support your purchase decision.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    have her go thru jj's course...

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I talked with her and she really wants a manual safety for her first gun. Looking at the Sig p238, Springfield 911, or a Walther ppk. The first two are only SA, so the Walther would be a better choice if not carrying cocked and locked.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Walther" Mfr PPK/PPKS origionals are great. Interarms were pretty good. S&W versions extended the beavertail which I like but the had a hammar block recall. In 2017 Production by Walther began at Fort Smith Arkansas. I haven't handled on of these yet. There might be some sticker shock with a genuine "Walther" PPK, PPK/S but the craftsmanship and quality are worth it. They are heavy and large by comparison with the majority of CC .380s. Its DA/SA acton plus Safety/decocker will fit her requirements.

It doesn't matter what else is printed on the gun, if it has "Under licence of" Walther didn't make it! That License entitles them to use Walther and markings. Yes, they have standards to maintain but it was not made by Walther.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wish I could go back in time and get my first ever CC gun back. It was a Bersa .380CC model. Loved that little .380 gun!

It's a Walther PPK clone and a good one at that!

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When it comes to 380's you will get more opinions that just about any other subject. I suppose that's true of many calibers. This guy Paul recently did a review on 380's. I think he also did one on the different types of ammo a while back. He's a little odd but his reviews are pretty thorough and worth watching. In this video, he used different 380s and one is an LCP but it's not the LCP II which has a better trigger. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6QH13V2o68zynSa0hZy9uQ
    Then, this girl does the Sig P238 which is interesting but you may find yourself not listening and just watching!-: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_-af7xludU

Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am doing some research for my niece. She just finished with her gun safety class, and applied for her permit. She has her mind set on a 380. I tried to get her to get a 9mm, but to no avail. I need suggestions on a dependable 380 with a good trigger.

Glock 42 with techno clip.

focusfront

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with a lot of the posters here. I have shot the really small .380s, the 3ATs, the Rugers, the little Tauruses, etc., and they are a handful. They are inaccurate, come with crummy sights, and I can only get about two fingers on them. They are not for a beginner.
    The Walther would be my pick, except it is exposed hammer/ decocker. I could manage it well, but ihat might be a little fussy for a newbie.
    I had high hopes for the Smith and Wesson .380, as it seems to have a decently long grip, which would mitigate recoil, and a grip safety, which eliminates a couple of steps in the learning process. But someone earlier said stay away from it; a pity, if it's true.
    A PPK or pistol like it would make an interesting choice. But it, too, is a decocker model.
    A S&W 642 is a super little revolver, but again, it is an expert's handgun. I shoot mine well enough, but managing the trigger and the sights is not really easy, even for me, and I've done some shooting. When mastered, it would be a great choice.
    So if you've read this far, I guess I've lead you down the primrose path. If the Smith .380 is not a good gun, then I don't know what to recommend.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I agree with a lot of the posters here. I have shot the really small .380s, the 3ATs, the Rugers, the little Tauruses, etc., and they are a handful. They are inaccurate, come with crummy sights, and I can only get about two fingers on them. They are not for a beginner.
    The Walther would be my pick, except it is exposed hammer/ decocker. I could manage it well, but ihat might be a little fussy for a newbie.
    I had high hopes for the Smith and Wesson .380, as it seems to have a decently long grip, which would mitigate recoil, and a grip safety, which eliminates a couple of steps in the learning process. But someone earlier said stay away from it; a pity, if it's true.
    A PPK or pistol like it would make an interesting choice. But it, too, is a decocker model.
    A S&W 642 is a super little revolver, but again, it is an expert's handgun. I shoot mine well enough, but managing the trigger and the sights is not really easy, even for me, and I've done some shooting. When mastered, it would be a great choice.
    So if you've read this far, I guess I've lead you down the primrose path. If the Smith .380 is not a good gun, then I don't know what to recommend.
    I tried to get her to go with a 9mm that is a little bit larger, but to no avail.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Forget revo's . . . no safety . . . you'll shoot your eye out.
    Anyone ever shot the Taurus 380 revo ??
    Make sure that she never gets ahold of a firearm that you simply acquire target,put your finger inside the trigger guard,pull trigger,and the weapon goes . . . BANG !!
    These kinds of weapons are waaaaay to unsafe and unreliable. --- SAWMAN

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I understand she wants a 380 but I wouldn't give up on 9mm. .380 has always been marginal as a self defense round. A tremendous amount of resources have been expended on development of the 9mm round. Its primary attraction is small platforms,many of which are hard to operate. With the recent development of 9mm micro pistols like the Glock 43, Sig P365, Springfield Xds, S&W Shield, I see no value in choosing a .380. With that said, the .380 is usually better than a sharp stick.

Top Bottom