• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Coffee and Islamic world history
    It was in coffee houses that people discussed how to overthrow the ottoman turkish government ranging from Greece to the middle east. See link for how that happened.

https://www.1843magazine.com/food-drink/food-fight/how-turkish-coffee-destroyed-an-empire
    How Turkish coffee destroyed an empire

Kahve was a favourite drink of the Ottoman Empire’s ruling class. Little did they know it would one day hasten the empire’s demise
    It’s known as Greek coffee to Greeks and Cypriots, Bosnian coffee to Bosnians, Armenian coffee to Armenians, Arabic coffee to Arabs, and Turkish coffee to Turks, Croatians, Albanians and Serbs. But in the mid-16th century, it was just kahve – coffee. At the time, these people were ruled over by the Ottoman Empire, which swept kahve-lovers from south-eastern Europe to Persia into its wide embrace. But by the early years of the 19th century, the empire was beginning to fracture. Kahve played a little-known role in its eventual demise.

Coffee came to Turkey during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. When the man he despatched to govern Yemen came across an energising drink known there as qahwah, he brought it back to the Ottoman court in Constantinople, where it was an instant hit. A palace kahveci usta, or coffee-master, might have tens of assistants helping him grind Arabica beans into an extra-fine powder similar in texture to today’s instant espresso. This was then boiled in copper pots called cezves. The resulting drink – bitter, black and topped with a thin layer of froth created by pouring it quickly – was served in small porcelain cups. To balance its bitterness, legend has it, Suleiman’s wife, Hürrem Sultan, took her kahve with a glass of water and a square of Turkish Delight – which is how it is served in Turkey today.

Not everyone, however, believed that the Koran permitted Muslims to drink this stimulating new beverage. Although Islamic scripture doesn’t specifically mention coffee, one hardline cleric in Suleiman’s court issued a fatwa against the drink on the grounds that consuming anything burnt was forbidden. But that didn’t dampen its appeal. The first public coffee house, or kahvehane, was founded in Istanbul in 1555 by two Syrian merchants. Soon, nearly one in six shops in the city – ranging in size from small neighbourhood cafés to large community centres – served coffee. Gradually, kahve percolated through to the far reaches of the empire.
    See link for more

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My dad told me that he was taught coffee lifted Europeans up too as until its discovery, the beverage of choice was wine...so wake up and have a glass of wine and the result naturally , being alcohol an a depressant, is a lack of motivation...coffee reversed that and people became more productive to the benefit of society...I never researched that and don't know the truth of it, but it seems plausible...as I sit here pounding on my keyboard drinking my java...first I drink the coffee then I do the stuff!

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yes...he makes really good coffee of many flavors and strengths...mild to putting hair on your chest...anyone visiting Joel should buy a pound of his coffee; you'll like it~

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Good read, pretty interesting how the simple things have changed the course of history and sometimes it's not even essential for life. Coffee, chocolate(cocoa), tea, etc. With that said, coffee is almost neccessary...
    146555542d809c9de321abf5a1ce269f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would seem so, just look what Starbucks did to a entire generation.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My dad told me that he was taught coffee lifted Europeans up too as until its discovery, the beverage of choice was wine...so wake up and have a glass of wine and the result naturally , being alcohol an a depressant, is a lack of motivation...coffee reversed that and people became more productive to the benefit of society...I never researched that and don't know the truth of it, but it seems plausible...as I sit here pounding on my keyboard drinking my java...first I drink the coffee then I do the stuff!

The europeans also learn to drink tea. I am not sure which came first, coffee or tea. The brits fought in order to continue tea trade in china over what was called the opium wars.

Much of this early trade to get tea, molasses-sugar, indigo, and other things for import have horrible histories behind them.

Opium and tea

The roots of the Opium War (or First China War) lay in a trade dispute between the British and the Chinese Qing Dynasty. By the start of the 19th century, the trade in Chinese goods such as tea, silks and porcelain was extremely lucrative for British merchants. The problem was that the Chinese would not buy British products in return. They would only sell their goods in exchange for silver, and as a result large amounts of silver were leaving Britain.

In order to stop this, the East India Company and other British merchants began to smuggle Indian opium into China illegally, for which they demanded payment in silver. This was then used to buy tea and other goods. By 1839, opium sales to China paid for the entire tea trade.
    The brits did things that are mostly not taught in high school history in the USA.

Here is some of the worst history and certainly shows that some people are just plain evil and all honest men should have arms and know how to use them because there is for sure a lot of evil in the world.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076
    ............Many people today will avoid calling the Irish slaves what they truly were: Slaves. They’ll come up with terms like “Indentured Servants” to describe what occurred to the Irish. However, in most cases from the 17th and 18th centuries, Irish slaves were nothing more than human cattle.

As an example, the African slave trade was just beginning during this same period. It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts.

African slaves were very expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling). Irish slaves came cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). If a planter whipped or branded or beat an Irish slave to death, it was never a crime. A death was a monetary setback, but far cheaper than killing a more expensive African. The English masters quickly began breeding the Irish women for both their own personal pleasure and for greater profit. Children of slaves were themselves slaves, which increased the size of the master’s free workforce. Even if an Irish woman somehow obtained her freedom, her kids would remain slaves of her master. Thus, Irish moms, even with this new found emancipation, would seldom abandon their kids and would remain in servitude.

In time, the English thought of a better way to use these women (in many cases, girls as young as 12) to increase their market share: The settlers began to breed Irish women and girls with African men to produce slaves with a distinct complexion. These new “mulatto” slaves brought a higher price than Irish livestock and, likewise, enabled the settlers to save money rather than purchase new African slaves. This practice of interbreeding Irish females with African men went on for several decades and was so widespread that, in 1681, legislation was passed “forbidding the practice of mating Irish slave women to African slave men for the purpose of producing slaves for sale.” In short, it was stopped only because it interfered with the profits of a large slave transport company. ......

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I guess the Juan Valdez’es hanging out at the local coffee houses in Venezuela should be rearing to get rid of Maduro any minute.....

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess the Juan Valdez’es hanging out at the local coffee houses in Venezuela should be rearing to get rid of Maduro any minute.....
    Juan Valdez is growing Cocaina and could be sipping good Tennessee Whiskey and eating caviar for all I know these days.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He said, keep that on the down low and he’ll send you some good coffee.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Black Rifle Coffee is great, pro gun, Veteran run and Conservative! Actually there are about 10 small vet run coffee companies now, all pro gun and conservative

Top Bottom