• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As I read the regs you cannot use electronic callers for deer, turkey or coyotes in FL. Is this your understanding too?

Now the real question and I cannot find anything about it. Can you use an electronic caller for hogs in FL?? All I can find is NO to all electronic callers but no mention of hogs as they spell out with other animals.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You cannot use electronic calls for taking game mammals and resident game birds

Is a Coyote considered a Game Mammal??? I know plenty of folks that use them for predator hunting in FL.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks TP, I have seen in a couple places in FWC where EC are not allowed for yotes but not specifically for hogs, as usual there is no clear cut page for all regs

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    yeah, he's right, can't use them for game animals. had a run in once on eglin over it. I prevailed eventually. But check the regs on hogs specifically as far as legal methods. I'm sure it's okay, especially on pp.

EDIT: I was using it during small game season for coyotes. They eventually said okay, but I couldn't use it for coyotes during reg. gun season.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have looked at all the regs I can and cannot see a clear answer, that is why I asked here

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You CANNOT use them for turkey,deer,ducks,or geese.
    You CAN use them for hogs and coyotes.
    This,on private land only. Can't really understand why anyone would even hunt a WMA and Eglin anyway. They have some of the most stoopid,hunter unfriendly laws that are imaginable. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sawman do you have the regs or a link to them, that is opposite from what I read on FWC website

This is what I got
    Jan 2018
    Unfortunately, some of the most effective ways of drawing coyotes to you are illegal. In Florida, you’re allowed to use mouth or handheld calls to attract coyotes and other animals, but the use of recorded or electronic calls is strictly prohibited. Another forbidden tactic to draw coyotes to the end of our barrels is the use of bait.To see more of them in a single day, you’ll have to use a call to attract them to you.
    http://www.foremostcoyotehunting.co...3zMl4ytAqolN5Fxzt8RwZZUBLsKCQ57XebtF8TQpbWOHE

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's why you're getting confused, you're ^^^getting info from a forum^^^ from people that "heard or I read on a forum" that it's blah blah blah ........

Anyway, this is from the FL Blackwater Management Hunting Regulations.

#6. "Taking or attempting to take any game with the aid of live decoys, recorded game calls or sounds, set guns, artificial light, net, trap, snare, drug or poison is prohibited. Recorded calls and sounds can be used to hunt furbearers, wild hog and crows."

Note the Key Word "Game".

Edit: I see your point of question, I do not see anywhere about the legal/illegal use of electronic calls for turkeys. But I would think they are considered Game.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oh,also,you can use electronic calls in Escambia River WMA for bream and crappie.
    You cannot use any form of bait for catfish. --- SAWMAN

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Alabama specifically states no elec. calls for turkey. Fl doesn't specifically say yes/no for turkey as far as I have found thus far, but does say okay for furbearers, wild hog and crows.
    You "might" be okay on pp, since it's more lenient than wma's. I'd stop the 1st game warden and ask him. If he says No, ask him to show you the reg. on it. If he says it's okay, get his name, date and time that the conversation took place, just in case another warden says no. "Well, officer Blah Blah said it was okay".
    On pp, I personally would do it anyway and just not tell anyone.

Last edited:

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Alabama specifically states no elec. calls for turkey. Fl doesn't specifically say yes/no for turkey as far as I have found thus far, but does say okay for furbearers, wild hog and crows.
    You "might" be okay on pp, since it's more lenient than wma's. I'd stop the 1st game warden and ask him. If he says No, ask him to show you the reg. on it. If he says it's okay, get his name, date and time that the conversation took place, just in case another warden says no. "Well, officer Blah Blah said it was okay".
    On pp, I personally would do it anyway and just not tell anyone.

You cannot use electronic/recorded calls for turkey...

Prohibited Methods & Equipment for Taking Game Mammals & Resident Game Birds
    This document doesn’t address or advise persons as to local ordinances prohibiting the discharge of firearms or as to the validity of such ordinances.
    Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds
    Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer
    Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking deer
    Fully automatic firearms
    Air guns that are not pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) air guns when taking deer or turkey
    PCP air guns firing single bullets that are less than .30-caliber and less than .20-caliber when taking deer and turkey, respectively
    Explosive or drug-injecting arrows
    Taking or attempting to take with live decoys, recorded game calls or sounds, set guns, artificial lights, nets, traps, snares, drugs or poisons
    Shooting from vehicles, powerboats or sailboats moving under power. Motors must be shut off or sails furled, and progress must cease from such motor or sail before taking game.
    Herding or driving game with vehicles, boats or aircraft
    Hunting turkeys with dogs
    Taking turkeys while they are on the roost
    Taking turkeys when the hunter is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station when feed is present
    Taking spotted fawn deer or swimming deer
    Hunting with bows equipped with electronic computational (rangefinder) or light projection (laser) sights or aiming devices during archery season
    Hunting game using bows with draw weights less than 35 pounds
    Using dogs without collars that identify the owners name and address
    Using dogs on private lands without written landowner permission (see Statewide deer-dog registration on General Information)
    Placing, exposing or distributing soporific, anesthetic, tranquilizer, hypnotic or similar drugs or chemicals; preparation by baits; or by other means where game birds or game animals may be affected
    Shooting or attempting to shoot or harass any bird, fish or other animal from aircraft, except as specifically authorized by a Federal or State issued license or permit

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's very good, But can you Add the State Statue that this came from?

Also, on this "Taking turkeys when the hunter is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station when feed is present". That means I can sit 101 yards from my feeder, and shoot turkeys at the feeder since I'm not within 100 yards of it, right?

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That's very good, But can you Add the State Statue that this came from?

Also, on this "Taking turkeys when the hunter is within 100 yards of a game-feeding station when feed is present". That means I can sit 101 yards from my feeder, and shoot turkeys at the feeder since I'm not within 100 yards of it, right?[/Q

its on the FWC website which is good enough for me....yes, technically you could sit 100.01 yards away from a feeder if thats the only way you can kill a turkey...

http://www.eregulations.com/florida/hunting/taking-game/

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    lol, I don't use electronic calls for turkeys, nor hunt feeders. And I was being facetious about the 101yds, the ruling should say it's illegal to shoot a turkey within 100yds of a feeder. I appreciate the web address, I know frank does too. Thanks

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman do you have the regs or a link to them, that is opposite from what I read on FWC website

This is what I got
    Jan 2018
    Unfortunately, some of the most effective ways of drawing coyotes to you are illegal. In Florida, you’re allowed to use mouth or handheld calls to attract coyotes and other animals, but the use of recorded or electronic calls is strictly prohibited. Another forbidden tactic to draw coyotes to the end of our barrels is the use of bait.To see more of them in a single day, you’ll have to use a call to attract them to you.
    http://www.foremostcoyotehunting.co...3zMl4ytAqolN5Fxzt8RwZZUBLsKCQ57XebtF8TQpbWOHE

This is kinda messed up, but it works...
    when hunting coyote, take a teething baby with you...
    babies fussing & crying draw 'yotes like nothing else ;)

Of course, if the wife ever found out...EEP!

Top Bottom