• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A video shows a dog attacking a mail carrier Friday in Detroit as neighbors tried to stop the attack. It took a long time to get the dog off and no one had a gun or or a knife to stop the attack. Even a jack handle or something heavy to fracture that dog's head would have done the trick.
    Video after the advertisement shows the attack.
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...l-carrier-in-detroit-as-neighbors-try-to-help

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Regardless of what city or state you’re in, very few people, even the licensed ones, actually carry. Even in gun totin’ Texas, I recall that every time there was a shooting or some problem, no carriers were ever there. I’m the only person I know who routinely carries a gun.

I simply don’t understand why. I guess so many are just lazy.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many carry all the time. They just keep it on the down low. As for me, I want to use my CWL to the fullest. Why have it and not? Makes no sense to me

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Even if a person carries...should trouble start, one of the biggest decisions of you life will present itself should you not be directly involved...impossible to know what I'd do though from reading about other people's experiences should you pull the trigger, your life will change even in a "good shoot"...the legal troubles, maybe your employer, you might be arrested and need an attorney, the family of the crook you shot, media attention etc....

like a fire extinguisher...have it close and hope you never have to use it.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mail carrier is supposed to have USPS dog spray on them at all times.
    Alabama & Florida folks are still carrying it.
    Dunno why anyone in Detroit WOULD NOT be...
    especially considering the amount of dog fighting that goes on there.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It would be especially hard to use a firearm during a dog attack if the dog had the person on the ground,wrapped up in a ball,with fir,fists,and teeth goin' round and round.
    Perhaps a shot in the air could get the dog off,but then you could face charges and/or loose your firearm. I suppose that they could stick you with criminal endangerment,discharging a firearm within XXX' of an occupied dwelling,etc,etc.
    In that case also,most likely everybody and everything is gonna be sprayed. With a blade,more than the dog could get cut. For me,my smaller ASP would help me get the dog off another individual. If the dog was after me,one of my carry blades would be my choice.
    ACTUALLY . . . my choice would be that all dog owners be responsible to the point that if they are not,they will face substantial fines and jail time. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would be especially hard to use a firearm during a dog attack if the dog had the person on the ground,wrapped up in a ball,with fir,fists,and teeth goin' round and round.
    Perhaps a shot in the air could get the dog off,but then you could face charges and/or loose your firearm. I suppose that they could stick you with criminal endangerment,discharging a firearm within XXX' of an occupied dwelling,etc,etc.
    In that case also,most likely everybody and everything is gonna be sprayed. With a blade,more than the dog could get cut. For me,my smaller ASP would help me get the dog off another individual. If the dog was after me,one of my carry blades would be my choice.
    ACTUALLY . . . my choice would be that all dog owners be responsible to the point that if they are not,they will face substantial fines and jail time. --- SAWMAN
    In the case of the video clip, Shoot dog in the hips and base of the spine to disable its rear, then pull the dog off by the hind legs to finish it off or not.
    For my own dogs that will not bite me, i have broken up fights where one had the other by the head and would not let go by grabbing both hind legs and walking backwards. For some reason the dog let go. I would not try this with a dog that was not mine. This technique worked on a bulldog type of white english that was bred to hold pigs and cattle.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "In the case of the video clip, Shoot dog in the hips and base of the spine to disable its rear, then pull the dog off by the hind legs to finish it off or not."

Although there was not an owner present in this video you might have to contend with an owner that's not going to allow you to shoot his dog to disable it. He could be armed too and might not be hesitant to shoot you especially if he was a drug dealer or someone of that caliber. This is a bad situation that could get out of hand really quick.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "In the case of the video clip, Shoot dog in the hips and base of the spine to disable its rear, then pull the dog off by the hind legs to finish it off or not."

Although there was not an owner present in this video you might have to contend with an owner that's not going to allow you to shoot his dog to disable it. He could be armed too and might not be hesitant to shoot you especially if he was a drug dealer or someone of that caliber. This is a bad situation that could get out of hand really quick.

So you say drive on by leaving the victim to the attacking dog. There is a lot to be said for such an action relative to your own well being. A couple of years ago a neighbor that did shoot a dog that attacked his dog while he was walking his dog. He first did try to separate the dogs and the dog did threaten to attack him. The punk owner of the dog did threaten him later, but did nothing. Punk and family were all told by the landlord to leave and the whole bunch of them were evicted.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'll shoot the drug dealer too, using that excuse not to shoot the dog is BS IMO. The dog could kill you, I'm shooting the dog dead if it's attacking me and threatening my life. If its owner tried attacking me he's going to get a bullet too. I'm a big guy though, a dog biting at my feet is most likely going to end up with a broken neck before I pull my CCW weapon. If he's going for my upper body or neck area I'll protect myself until I can get to one of the weapons I have on me, knife or gun I'll be using it. I'm surprised nobody at least had a knife to stick in the dog, as a postman I would make sure I had at least 2 knives on me. My guess is they're not allowed to carry a firearm.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't see where being wrapped up with a vicious dog is mush different than being wrapped up with human. Once the lethal threat/serious bodily injury line has been crossed you shoot. Even in darkness or with obstructed vision you can make "contact shot(s)". Life events don't roll out perfect: could be overpenetration and someone or thing else could be hit but that's how it goes. I understand the liabilities as do most folks here. Priorities become very clear and you probably won't even think of anything other then stopping the S.O.B. if the situation is that bad.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't see where being wrapped up with a vicious dog is mush different than being wrapped up with human. Once the lethal threat/serious bodily injury line has been crossed you shoot. Even in darkness or with obstructed vision you can make "contact shot(s)". Life events don't roll out perfect: could be overpenetration and someone or thing else could be hit but that's how it goes. I understand the liabilities as do most folks here. Priorities become very clear and you probably won't even think of anything other then stopping the S.O.B. if the situation is that bad.
    The difference is the good Samaritan issue. You shoot the dog in defense of another and then shoot the owner when the comes for you too. I think you are good if the LEOs understand what went down in Florida, not too sure about Michigan.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As long as the owner of the "now shot dog" presents the appropriate level of threat to justify Lethal Force, I'm good with stopping it. Not much different than if another aggressor jumps in (more justification) or spectators become an aggressive mob. Always personal decisions and responsibility.

Michigan statute 780.972, which was modified in 2006 with bipartisan support, allows use of deadly force when someone "honestly and reasonably believes ... the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual."

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think some of you all missed my point. I was not advocating leaving somebody to die at the paws of an attacking dog. I clearly stated that a dog owner wasn't present in the video. I did clearly state that there could be a 3rd party that could escalate the situation to a point where YOU could be the fatality. Sounds like a rather hollow victory to me. Any person considering using a weapon has to make an assessment about the potential outcome of the use of that weapon often in mere seconds and the potential for a wrong decision could last a lifetime. We had an earlier thread about dog walking and I said I was walking mine and came up on a dog that started acting aggressive. I also said I had my hand on my P38, he moved on and a problem was averted. I hope all our problems work out that smoothly. And yes Viking govt employees are not allowed to carry weapons unless their duties require them to be. I can not carry a gun of any type on our installation. it is a felony.

Latest posts

Top Bottom