• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We all know this, but during competition after a failure to fire or just after failure to eject many just rack the slide and continue to shoot. Even if you will loose the match stop and make sure you have ejected an intact cartridge with bullet still attached. I always keep a cleaning rod on hand to check for bore obstructions.

glock-35-squib-explosion.jpg
    Custom glock prior to explosion

Captured picture from video of gun when intact. Looks like it was a very nice gun.

Capture Glock.JPG
    story link https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/02/...ent=2019-02-19&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Attachments

• glock-35-squib-explosion.jpg
      glock-35-squib-explosion.jpg
      46.8 KB · Views: 292
    • Capture Glock.JPG
      Capture Glock.JPG
      85.7 KB · Views: 312

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Good reminder for sure! I had this discussion with a friend at a match this past Saturday who lost a ported barrel due to the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The problem of squib loads is made worst for reloads when the powder charge in the case is not verified. I have not had a squib with factory center fire, but I am sure it happens. It is very common with reloads. Failure to fire I have gotten with some overseas .357 sig loads in a glock. It will happen with some 9mm with harder primers that are loaded overseas for submachine guns relative to failure to fire. We train often to clear a gun rapidly for a combat scenario and if the clock is ticking in a match there is the same drive to rapidly clear the gun and keep shooting. Sort of a conundrum of training for combat, but being safe while competing or just training.
    If you use an automatic press reloading set up or other multistation system there are devices that will verify the presence of a power charge in the case during the loading process. If you do the loading manually one step at a time be sure to inspect each and every case charge case prior to setting a bullet. Work out a procedure for doing that. You start life with 10 fingers and two eyes and that all you will have so do not lose them.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    One of the worse mistakes a reloader can make is using an ammo tray (the 50,100 rd,etc,etc. kind),and a powder thrower to throw into the prepped brass IN THE TRAY.
    It is really easy to get confused as to which row you are throwing,weather or not you are throwing up and down, right and left,etc,etc.
    DON'T DO THIS !! ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of the worse mistakes a reloader can make is using an ammo tray (the 50,100 rd,etc,etc. kind),and a powder thrower to throw into the prepped brass IN THE TRAY.
    It is really easy to get confused as to which row you are throwing,weather or not you are throwing up and down, right and left,etc,etc.
    DON'T DO THIS !! ---- SAWMAN
    When reloading I always try to chose a load that nearly fills the case. Double and maybe even triple charged .38 spl loads have even occurred in factory loads. If the load nearly fills the case, if one tries to put two power charges in the same case it will spill over which you should spot. I also use a focused light with all of them in a tray and look at each case slowly to verify that there is powder in it. You are not only looking for a lack of power charge, you are also looking for anything that is obviously visually off relative to the charge or anything else.
    Another danger are high primers, but that is different topic.

Some people are better off not reloading ammunition.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    When reloading I always try to chose a load that nearly fills the case. Double and maybe even triple charged .38 spl loads have even occurred in factory loads. If the load nearly fills the case, if one tries to put two power charges in the same case it will spill over which you should spot. I also use a focused light with all of them in a tray and look at each case slowly to verify that there is powder in it. You are not only looking for a lack of power charge, you are also looking for anything that is obviously visually off relative to the charge or anything else.
    Another danger are high primers, but that is different topic.

Some people are better off not reloading ammunition.

That's good practice. I pull from one tray, powder drop, then put into a different tray. And as you said, I use loads that damn near fill the case so that a visual check with a light will tell me I'm good. I've got a progressive press, but I rarely use it in favor of my single stage.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm guilty too, I built a 44mag squib in my early "learning period". Fired it in a S&W 29. The primer only pop was strong enough to bridge the bullet between the forcing cone and the cylinder, locked it up tight! Much smarter to learn and observe proper methods, cautions and warnings than to add your personal experience to the "Oh shit List"

I will also confess (WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS, open range, solo shooter) that I have knowingly fired a second shot to clear a 22LR Squib. I would not have attempted such foolishness if I would have had a cleaning rod within 30 miles or another rifle. I won't get into the type rifle so as not to encourage anyone. I got two dirt splashes, no barrel bulge.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    improperly stored ammo can cause squib loads. Once a bunch of us at another club got some .22 LR rimfire PMC ammo that was lubed with a soft grease that had been stored at high temperatures. Many of us got squibs from that ammo. Some cast bullet lubes will contaminate the power too.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm guilty too, I built a 44mag squib in my early "learning period". Fired it in a S&W 29. The primer only pop was strong enough to bridge the bullet between the forcing cone and the cylinder, locked it up tight! Much smarter to learn and observe proper methods, cautions and warnings than to add your personal experience to the "Oh shit List"

I will also confess (WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS, open range, solo shooter) that I have knowingly fired a second shot to clear a 22LR Squib. I would not have attempted such foolishness if I would have had a cleaning rod within 30 miles or another rifle. I won't get into the type rifle so as not to encourage anyone. I got two dirt splashes, no barrel bulge.

Takes some balls to clear a squib with another live round. I keep way too much extra shit and tools in my range bag just for those instances these days. Worked out though on my last range trip with my brother. He was having light primer strike issues and I had the tools to fix it on hand.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Takes some balls to clear a squib with another live round. I keep way too much extra shit and tools in my range bag just for those instances these days. Worked out though on my last range trip with my brother. He was having light primer strike issues and I had the tools to fix it on hand.
    I am not sure if this is safe, but I might try with just a powder charge; that is with the bullet removed and a very light charge of powder if I was extremely desperate, but I would just take the gun home and get a rod to drive it out.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When it comes to reloading ammo, probably the best I've ever seen do it are the guys from the Army Marksmanship Unit.
    Think there's a vid around of them going over their workbench and the proceedures they use...probably on Utube now.
    Check out their Camp Perry videos!! Good Stuff!!

One of the takeaways from their work is that if you are working through a powder run, and are distracted by ANYTHING,
    restart the process. Dump all the powder from the cases back into the hopper and start over. They don't even want
    someone to turn their head & talk while doing powder...lock the door, turn off the phones, Zero Distractions.
    My wife's the same way, Jarhead training. When she goes into the reloading room, the word of the day is
    "DO NOT DISTURB UNLESS SOMEONE IS DYING". And even then it might be better to expire rather than bug her ;)

14642038_1283054698412255_4501389999016387135_n.jpg

Attachments

• 14642038_1283054698412255_4501389999016387135_n.jpg
      14642038_1283054698412255_4501389999016387135_n.jpg
      101.8 KB · Views: 105

Latest posts

Top Bottom