Proposed Florida Ban on Semiautomatic Rifles and Shotguns Initiative (2020)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Unfortunately . . IMO . . Florida has a bunch of shitty politicians. We know what to expect from the Dems,however I feel that the Repubs are gaining ground on the shitty'ness of the Dems.
    I am subscribed to the newsletter from Matt Gaetz. He loves to crow,beat his own drums,toot his own horn. Meanwhile what has he REALLY done. Open a school,dedicate a park,fight for raises for teachers and LEO's (yeah,right),give a "vote for me" speech at some retirement home,get face time on Hannity,etc,etc.
    Same with DeSantis. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I looked up the deadlines for the process.
    This could be important since the ruling could ban I would guess about half of the .22 rim fire rifles in the state. Eventually this may come back to them. If the petition is reworded they have to go through the proposal process as I understand it. There a fee for the verification of each signature so the process is not cheap.
    https://dos.myflorida.com/media/697659/initiative-petition-handbook-2018-election-cycle-eng.pdf
    12.When is the deadline to submitinitiative petitions to be placed on the next general election ballot?The deadline is February 1 of the year in which the generalelection is held. Signed petition forms must be submitted sufficiently in advance so that the respective Supervisorsof Elections can verify and certifythe number of signaturesto the Divisionof Electionsno later than February 1.The Division of Elections willthen determine whether the initiative can be placed on the next general election ballot

59.If the initiative petition is changed, do we have to get a new approval?Yes. Any changes to a previously approved petition must be submitted to the Division for review.Any material change constitutes a request for approval of a new petition form and the political committee must start over with the collection of signatures.A material change includes changes to the text, ballot title, ballot summary, punctuation, layout, or the name of the political committee

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I looked up the deadlines for the process.
    This could be important since the ruling could ban I would guess about half of the .22 rim fire rifles in the state. Eventually this may come back to them. If the petition is reworded they have to go through the proposal process as I understand it. There a fee for the verification of each signature so the process is not cheap.
    https://dos.myflorida.com/media/697659/initiative-petition-handbook-2018-election-cycle-eng.pdf

That's why it is better to wait to raise a ruckus; too soon and they will change it. I hope when they get closer on signatures, NRA and GOA publicize the hell out of the .22 ban. Marion Hammer is why I still send money to the NRA.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Currently there appear to be at least 3 antigun proposed constitution amendments in FL https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_2020_ballot_measures

Order is Type Number Title Subject Description Sponsor

CICA #18-03 Ban on Military-Style Firearms and Disqualifications for Firearm Possession Initiative Firearms Bans military-style firearms and provides disqualifications for firearm possession Stop the Killing Committee

CICA #19-01 Ban on Semiautomatic Rifles and Shotguns Initiative Firearms Bans possession of semiautomatic rifles and shotguns (defined). Ban Assault Weapons Now

CICA #19-03 Firearm Background Checks and Waiting Periods Initiative Firearms Extends the current three-day waiting period for purchase of handguns to all firearms; requires background checks performed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Floridians for Universal Background Checks

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unfortunately . . IMO . . Florida has a bunch of shitty politicians. We know what to expect from the Dems,however I feel that the Repubs are gaining ground on the shitty'ness of the Dems.
    I am subscribed to the newsletter from Matt Gaetz. He loves to crow,beat his own drums,toot his own horn. Meanwhile what has he REALLY done. Open a school,dedicate a park,fight for raises for teachers and LEO's (yeah,right),give a "vote for me" speech at some retirement home,get face time on Hannity,etc,etc.
    Same with DeSantis. ---- SAWMAN

Gaetz: I like Donald Trump. Donald Trump likes me. I'm just like Donald Trump. I support Donald Trump and everything Donald trump supports. I'm just like Donald Trump..:rolleyes: Have un-subscribed from his propaganda rag, and let him know that if he ever decided to be his own man, he could let me know. Silence. No representation there. Moving along........

N.I.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's why it is better to wait to raise a ruckus; too soon and they will change it. I hope when they get closer on signatures, NRA and GOA publicize the hell out of the .22 ban. Marion Hammer is why I still send money to the NRA.

I would strongly suggest not going this route, as in using the .22 as the basis for negating this proposal, because what if they say "OK, .22s are an exception, but the rest are going". Then they have given you what you want and if you complain it just makes you look bad.

noboat

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    as I read this proposed Constitutional amendment,
    these type "handguns" (pistols) would not be included:

AR pistols
    AK pistols
    semi-auto "sub-guns/pistols" (e.g. Sig MPX pistol & CZ Scorpion EVO pistol)

and any semi-automatic handgun/pistol using an oversized magazine

people will look for loopholes, and there will be plenty of confusion on the law, and if ATF is confused, imagine how confused FDLE will be on this

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Personally, I do not see this going anywhere. Even if they get the 766,200 valid signatures that are required to put it on the ballot in 2020, I do not see it passing. It is a HUGE 2nd Amendment violation and would make felons out of thousands upon thousands of Florida residents because, you know as well as I do, the mass majority of citizens who own firearms that fall into these categories are not going to register them with the FDLE. I know that I will not.

I agree that it won't gain traction but it is revealing as to the thinking of anti gun activists. There is no pretention here.

N.I.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree that it won't gain traction but it is revealing as to the thinking of anti gun activists. There is no pretention here.

Right, it shows their thinking and their strategy. The more they propose bans of this type the more they normalize the notion.
    10 years ago this proposal would have been laughed out of existence the second it was conceived, now it's kind of normal.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    The day this passes is the day my home goes up for sale... Alabama,Georgia, Texas here i come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N.I.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Originally Posted by polebarn View Post

I would strongly suggest not going this route, as in using the .22 as the basis for negating this proposal, because what if they say "OK, .22s are an exception, but the rest are going". Then they have given you what you want and if you complain it just makes you look bad.
    There is a time limit on changes; the closer you get to the deadline the more difficult it is to change the proposal. It would help if you read the earlier posts on the amendment proposal process. If they want to change even a single word they have to start from the beginning with brand new proposals and have to get new signatures all over again.
    Do oppose the proposal, but only after the proposal is on the ballot up for vote does the factoid that it would likely ban half of the .22 rifles in the state.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

It will eventually gain traction. In 2020 or later. They will outlaw all firearms at some point.

The people who plan to bury their guns are as useless as the ones who plan to turn them all in.

We’ll need shooters on that day.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That seems to be correct and not just 10/22s, but any tube fed gun that holds more than 10 rounds. It might even include some semi-auto shoulder stocked air guns.

It defines semiautomatics in such a way that pump .22s, or even single shots, are semiautomatics. I also read the 10 round requirement as applying only to shotguns. (most will hold 10 rounds if you make them short enough)

a) Assault Weapons - For purposes of this subsection, any semiautomatic rifle or shotgun capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition at once, either in a fixed or detachable magazine, or any other ammunition feeding device. This subsection does not apply to handguns.
    b) Semiautomatic - For purposes of this subsection, any weapon which fires a single projectile or a number of ball shots through a rifled or smooth bore for each single function of the trigger without further manual action required.

Top Bottom