Proposed Florida Ban on Semiautomatic Rifles and Shotguns Initiative (2020)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Lets see, legalize drugs, make us a gay nation, let criminals vote, no voter ID, illegal alien can drive and vote, then ban guns so honest citizens cannot defend themselves??? I think we have allowed too many demoRats and Yankees into the state...Free Heroin for ALL

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah. If the Florida political machine wants to continue favoring criminals (border jumpers, illegal drug users, felons, etc), there's gonna be a literal battle to "disarm" the law-abiding residents with firearm bans.

What kind of "Opposite Day" horror story are we trapped in?

tritonboy2001

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope people are smart enough to see through this BS and not sign it. You know they are going to flood the major cities in attempt to get the required signatures. We must now watch this closely as well as the Ag Sec trying to cut CCW renewal period in half again.

Status as of 10 June 2019.

The state process
    In Florida, the number of signatures required for an initiated constitutional amendment is equal to 8 percent of the votes cast in the preceding presidential election. Florida also has a signature distribution requirement, which requires that signatures equaling at least 8 percent of the district-wide vote in the last presidential election be collected from at least half (14) of the state's 27 congressional districts. Petitions are allowed to circulate for an indefinite period of time, but signatures are valid for a two-year period of time; therefore, proponents must collect all of their signatures for verification within a two-year period. Signatures must be verified by February 1 of the general election year the initiative aims to appear on the ballot.

The requirements to get an initiative certified for the 2020 ballot:

Signatures: 766,200 valid signatures are required.
    Deadline: The deadline for signature verification is February 1, 2020. As election officials have 30 days to check signatures, petitions should be submitted at least one month before the verification deadline.
    In Florida, proponents of an initiative file signatures with local elections supervisors, who are responsible for verifying signatures. Supervisors are permitted to use random sampling if the process can estimate the number of valid signatures with 99.5 percent accuracy. Signatures are considered valid if the random sample estimates that at least 115 percent of the required number of signatures are valid.

Details about the initiative
    The initiative was approved for circulation on November 28, 2018.[2]
    A previous version of the initiative, #18-11, was withdrawn.
    As of June 10, 2019, the Department of Elections showed that proponents had submitted 64,737 valid signatures

tritonboy2001

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since handguns are not covered AR pistols may be ok.
    “handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. https://dos.elections.myflorida.com/initiatives/fulltext/pdf/70490-1.pdf
    The biggest thing is if this will pass the courts ""a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law. ""

What kind of response is that? You know if you give them an inch they will take a mile, and yes, next they will try to turn us into California .. We have to resist and take all legal means necessary, never compromise.

To quote Edmund Burke: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    What kind of response is that? You know if you give them an inch they will take a mile, and yes, next they will try to turn us into California .. We have to resist and take all legal means necessary, never compromise.

To quote Edmund Burke: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

the road to hell is paved with the bricks of compromise...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    What kind of response is that? You know if you give them an inch they will take a mile, and yes, next they will try to turn us into California .. We have to resist and take all legal means necessary, never compromise. Mine in bold, Do you not understand, the only legal recourse if this is passed is the US Supreme court.

the road to hell is paved with the bricks of compromise...
    Compromise-What are you talking about.
    There is no compromise here and the progun side is giving nothing away. The idiots when they wrote the proposed amendment due to ignorance made what could be a big mistake on their part. They likely were not familiar with the latest BATF rulings on arm brace AR,s qualifying as pistols. I will take advantage of any mistakes my enemies might make. We are not being given this as a choice or compromise and it is that they wrote this as a take or leave it for the electorate. And if 60% vote for it, it passes and this is of course assuming it makes the ballot in the first place. The possible appeal is through federal courts and not the state courts.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    it was an comment on compromise, not suggesting compromise was involved with this proposed law

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pot with 0.03% and above THC is an illegal Class 1 Controlled substance per Fed Law. Some States have changed their Laws to legalize Pot, Hemp and products that contain percentages of THC. Not only is there a Fed vs State conlfict, there is little oversite on commercially allowable (0.029% THC) products, ask the Granny that got busted at Disney for her "commercial mfg legal hemp oil".
    FDA says:
    https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/fda-and-marijuana

Medical pot may "actually work" in some applications it may also be a placebo effect. Then there's the recreational use "push". I just don't support any portion of it.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    New Fl Law Signed June 6th. Addresses & kills much of the out of State money, out of State signature gatheres and more reforms. Applies to Measures planned to be on 2020 Ballot. Specifically recognizes out of State entities attemps to influnce and change Florida Constitution and Laws.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...oomberg-financed-gun-control-petition-drives/

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    From what I understand when reading the info if this thing goes through it won't affect guns you already have, but you will have to register them with the BATFE within a year. Kinda wondering if I should grab some striped lowers before the fact just incase.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I understand when reading the info if this thing goes through it won't affect guns you already have, but you will have to register them with the BATFE within a year. Kinda wondering if I should grab some striped lowers before the fact just incase.

You have to register with some entity that needs to be defined and not the federal BATFE. No word on what it will cost and remember this also includes .22 semiauto rifles that can hold more than 10 rounds that is like about half the .22 rifles in the state of florida.
    A lot of other things need to be worked out relative to SKS rifles that usually hold 10 but can accept higher capacity feeding devices.

We need to wait and see if it passes the state supreme court review and finally gets on the ballot and is approved by 60% of the voters.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You have to register with some entity that needs to be defined and not the federal BATFE.

Yeah I read that wrong. It says a State agency, so who knows.

tritonboy2001

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, I saw that, looks like we may start having to prepare some type of legal recourse in conjuction with the NRA etc....hopefully

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You have to register with some entity that needs to be defined and not the federal BATFE. No word on what it will cost and remember this also includes .22 semiauto rifles that can hold more than 10 rounds that is like about half the .22 rifles in the state of florida.
    A lot of other things need to be worked out relative to SKS rifles that usually hold 10 but can accept higher capacity feeding devices.

We need to wait and see if it passes the state supreme court review and finally gets on the ballot and is approved by 60% of the voters.

If you wait, game over. You lose.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'll legally gift some lowers to my son, son-in-law, and grandson if such a thing appears to be likely.

At $29.00 for stripped PSA lowers, it's not much a gamble to stash away about ten lowers for future builds. Then, if a ban looks like a reality, just gift some lowers out to family.

When I kick the bucket, they can swap the parts over and drive on.

Top Bottom