• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My wife has a S&W 642 (Airlight, hammer-less) in .38 cal. She would like a lighter trigger pull on the weapon. A few questions:

Since it is a DOA and meant to have a higher trigger pull is it advisable to modify it? Can a weaker spring be installed? If so, about how much would a local gunsmith charge? Who would be a local "smith to contact about it? Can it be easily modified by me (no "smithing experience)? Where could I purchase the necessary parts for the mod?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Location would help with gunsmiths. I have the exact same pistol and carry it most days w/ Clipdraw. This is a jam in the ribs gun and keep pulling, no other safety but that heavy trigger. I think it would be ill advised to fiddle with it, unless she is extremely confident and comfortable with that firearm. my 2 cents ...

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bay Ranger:

Yes, the S&W 642 trigger can be lightened. There are a few parts within the internal mechanism that have to be tinkered with to lighten it to any degree. I don't recommend doing it yourself, as the mechanism can be very touchy.

We are a gunsmithing business located in Crestview. We would charge you around $45 to do the work for you. I do agree with clayjunkie in the fact that your wife should become comfortable with the gun BEFORE you do any modification to the trigger.

Top Bottom